Calories!

• Weird post, just thought I'd share! So I was at my friends house today and she offered me a few starbursts. 7 total. So when I got home I looked up the calories.. Omgosh! 20 calories a piece! I ate 140 calories in candy crap! I really only thought it would be like 70 calories if that. Just thought I'd share how off I was in my geuss at calories.

Has this ever happened to you guys?
  • It works the other way though too. I find some things I eat on the off-chance are also lower in calories than expected. Most recently for me cous-cous (better than rice and quinoa) and cockles. Yum.
  • Yes, similar things have happened to me. I'm no longer surprised when a small little treat turns out to be a million calories, I sort of just expect it now.

On a side note, did you know that each jelly belly jelly bean has 4 calories?
  • yeah its bad. thats why i like my dark hersey kisses... 5 of them for 128 calories, which i always manage to fit into my diet because i LOVE chocolate!
  • For chocolate I eat fat free/light fudge bars. Whole bars are 80 and small bars 40.
  • Quote: Weird post, just thought I'd share! So I was at my friends house today and she offered me a few starbursts. 7 total. So when I got home I looked up the calories.. Omgosh! 20 calories a piece! I ate 140 calories in candy crap! I really only thought it would be like 70 calories if that. Just thought I'd share how off I was in my geuss at calories.

Has this ever happened to you guys?
    No, that's never happened to me.......I'm just big boned and that's why I weigh over 300 pounds. It's certainly not because I didn't estimate calorie intake correctly! What got me started on the realization that I need to check calorie counts BEFORE I put it in my mouth was my little binge with gum balls at Christmas time. 30 calories each and I was chewing 10-15 a day thinking it would keep me from eating other stuff.
  • Quote: No, that's never happened to me.......I'm just big boned and that's why I weigh over 300 pounds. It's certainly not because I didn't estimate calorie intake correctly! What got me started on the realization that I need to check calorie counts BEFORE I put it in my mouth was my little binge with gum balls at Christmas time. 30 calories each and I was chewing 10-15 a day thinking it would keep me from eating other stuff.
    wow thats a lot! my gum is only 5 (or less, the packet actually says 0 calories but i know that's a lie, so i estimate it at 5) calories a piece, and i don't have more than 6 per day.

@OP: 140 calories isn't really that much when you think about it... but instead of eating all the starburst at once, i would have them throughout the day. i do that with my chocolate, i have 5 a day but very rarely do i eat them all at once. and i don't always chew them, sometimes i'll cut them up into pieces and just suck on them, so i get the flavor longer.
  • Quote: wow thats a lot! my gum is only 5 (or less, the packet actually says 0 calories but i know that's a lie, so i estimate it at 5) calories a piece, and i don't have more than 6 per day.
    Yes, it was a shock to me as well!!!! These are the Dubble Bubble machine size gum balls (they cost a quarter) and I ordered a box of them from Amazon to have as a special treat for when the grands are here. Unfortunately, I decided that they would go stale and I have always LOVED the darned things. To say I was in sugar overload for a month would be putting it mildly!
  • Yep... my mom had a ziploc of starburst jelly beans sitting on her kitchen counter. I measured them out as 1/4 cup serving and then googled later to find they were 150 cals for my 1/4 cup. BTW, those are the only jelly beans I will even eat. Others are yucky
  • At Easter, I had eaten a handful of 5 or 6 Reese's peanut butter miniature eggs, only to later find out they were 40 calories each. I loved every bite, but not that much!
  • hersey kisses are my treat! Its alot of flavor when let melt in your mouth.
  • Peanut butter m&ms do me in every single time. I managed to consume 420 calories worth while stuck in the airport the other day. *wince*