3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   Ketchup - wow! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/278091-ketchup-wow.html)

Fit dad 2b 03-20-2013 10:39 PM

Ketchup - wow!

So I've been measuring out everything to keep track of calories. You always hear people say "Are you tracking condiments too? They add up fast."

As I was putting 1 tbsp of ketchup on my plate, I realized that amount was a LOT less than I had become accustomed to using. Just for kicks, I measured out the amount I had used in the past, and it was nearly 150 calories - in ketchup alone!!!

Missy Krissy 03-20-2013 10:45 PM

They sure do add up! That's why I measure everything with my handy dandy kitchen scale. Ketchup is .88 calories per gram.

joefla70 03-20-2013 10:50 PM

Heinz makes a low sugar ketchup that tastes really good... just as tasty as their regular ketchup, but not quite as thick. I think it has about 1/3 the calories and 1/4 sugar per serving than regular ketchup.

Showstoppa1120 03-20-2013 11:02 PM

I know isn't that crazy. Now that I've been taking the time out to measure everything I realize how much I've been eating and I didn't realize how something like ketchup could add up so quick

Fit dad 2b 03-20-2013 11:03 PM

What also amazed me was how much less ketchup I really needed. I tbsp looked paltry compared to what I was used to, but it was fine. Before, it was almost like I was using my food as just a shovel for ketchup.

Psychic 03-21-2013 10:02 AM

The only condiments I use these days are yellow mustard and hot sauce.

Every once in a while I'll splurge on some caesar dressing or olive oil.

elvislover324 03-21-2013 10:21 AM

That's why I drink my coffee black now and only use SF flavorings if I want something different. Imagine a cream and sugar coffee adding up to 300 calories or more?? Adding ketchup and salad dressing to my day plus if I had a regular Coke (I know not a condiment!) and I could be pushing 600 calories before I eat any regular food!!

I am so much more calorie aware now, probably more than I ever wanted to be. Now I see other people stuffing their faces like I used to and I mentally count what they are eating! It's none of my business but I can't help it.

Mustard and hot sauces are my new best friend!

kayin 03-23-2013 07:09 PM

The Heinz sugar free ketchup has 5 calories per tablespoon.
The Heinz regular ketchup has 20 calories per tablespoon.

deb2799 03-24-2013 12:46 PM

It is amazing how the little stuff add up! Like Mayo! I don't use it at all anymore

mimsyborogoves 03-25-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fit dad 2b (Post 4676092)
What also amazed me was how much less ketchup I really needed.

Measuring out things like condiments has also helped me learn that I often used way too much sauce than was necessary! I rarely use more than a teaspoon of ketchup now, and that's if I put it on a burger or something. Otherwise, I don't really use it unless something really needs it, like fries, which I don't eat very often anymore either, so the amount of ketchup is negligible.

I wish things like hummus and other dips had less calories per serving; 2 tablespoons is way too little of a serving for it to be considered dip-worthy, to me. My serving of whatever I eat it with is always exceeds the hummus/dip serving by a lot! For instance, a serving of carrots is 3oz compared to 1oz of hummus -- that's a pretty big difference! And if you only ate an ounce of carrots, well, to me, you might as well just not eat them. I know I can just use more dip, but then it makes the calories higher! Urgh!