3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   could nausea be a sign of counting calories too much???? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/278053-could-nausea-sign-counting-calories-too-much.html)

wheresmyraise 03-20-2013 11:38 AM

could nausea be a sign of counting calories too much????

A little background: about this time last year I decided it was time to calorie count. I was getting close to hitting the 150 on the scale. Now, I had never been 150 even when pregnant, so I had gained quite a bit of weight. I calorie counted with the help of myfitnesspal and stuck to a 1200 calorie diet. The weight came off easily and I was down 25 pounds by mid summer. I truly never felt hungry or had any kind of ill effects after the first week or so. Then the holidays came and I backed off the calorie counting and just tried to make smart choices. Things went good. Only gained a few pounds (about 4). A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to try and get down to 115 -- 10 pounds. So I went back to calorie counting. 1200 calories again, similar foods and meal times as earlier. But ever since I started this I find that I feel nauseaous at different times. For example, last Thursday and Friday I dealt with on again off again nausea all day. I never did get sick, but just felt awful. Over the weekend I didn't calorie count due to some family things and I felt fine. Then yesterday, after calorie counting on Monday and Tuesday, I started to feel sick again. I ate a decent dinner and I felt better.... so, can nausea be a sign of undereating? Why would 1200 calories be too few now, when it was fine last year? Nothing else has changed in my diet, I drink plenty of water. The only thing that may be contributing is a high blood pressure med I started a few months ago. It does say to take with food, which I do, but maybe it is causing the nausea when I eat fewer calories???

Thistleberry 03-20-2013 12:22 PM

Nausea can certainly be a sign of deficencies, that I know. I get terribly nauseous if I don't get enough salt (I have low blood pressure) or magnesium. It could be that your 1200 calories aren't getting you the nutrition you need. Do you take a multivitamin at all?

115 is on the lower end for 5'5". If your body is sending you these signals it may be that you're doing yourself a disservice by trying to lose more.

Psychic 03-20-2013 01:26 PM

I'm going to agree with Thistleberry. Make sure you're taking a multivitamin. 115 is LOW for your height... Make sure you're staying in a healthy range.

SophiasMom 06-29-2014 02:23 AM

I know this thread is old but glad I found it (through google! Lol).

I ended up upping my calories to 1500 (was 1200) - I was feeling very nauseous before but it's gone. I don't take a multivitamin but i should.