Old 09-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #1  

Default What are your favorite "quick" foods?

As in, things you can just open up and eat or pop in the microwave.

I have two little kids, so I'm always looking for things that are fast to prepare, though I try to cook "real" meals for dinner.

Lately I have been in love with Amy's Organics' canned soups. They don't sound exciting from the label, but they are actually super yummy and low cal. I've been eating those for lunch a lot. For snacks I've been grabbing Chobani yogurt a lot, and cottage cheese.

Give me your favorites, meals or snacks!
:-)
emilymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I love the Amy's Organics Mac & Cheese. I usually make it in the oven, but I believe there are microwave instructions too. I also am a big fan of the refrigerated precooked sausages (I prefer pork, but there are a lot of chicken flavors out there). I just pop them under the broiler for about 3 minutes a side and then usually cut up carrot and bell pepper slices for sides.
spetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I do batch cooking on my good days, and freeze whatever in one or two serving portions. If I run out or run low before I can make more, I will buy a few frozen dinners, trying to get the most healthy I can find. Some of the frozen dinners are actually quite good and reasonably healthy. I just wish they'd make more wheat-free flavors (I have a wheat allergy or sensitivity. It apparently triggers inflammatory issues with my skin and joints. The face rash and the itching is the most irritating).

I tested negative for celiac disease and don't seem to have a problem with traces of wheat (so at least I don't have to worry about cross-contamination, such as when a product that doesn't contain wheat is labeled "made in a facility that processes wheat."

I also eat a lot of foods that can be eaten with little or no preparation. Such as fruit. I normally buy fruit that doesn't require much prep. Rinse and eat.

Usually I don't buy pre-washed or prep-cut veggies. I peel and cut my own, usually the day after buying. Baby carrots are the one exception. I don't peeling and cutting carrots, but often the baby carrots are cheaper, and hubby likes the taste of the baby carrots better. In the summer though we usually buy farmer's market baby carrots (still with peel and tops). We just cut the tops off, scrub, and eat without peeling (well the scrubbing takes off some of the peel).

We mostly buy from the small unofficially organic farmers (those who use organic farming methods, but are too small to be able to afford the certification process).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I love Amy's frozen meals- especially the mexican foods. Although a bit salty (like all frozen meals) they're made with mostly good ingredients and are filling (for less than 400 calories, usually).

I also love Amy's soups! In the health-food section of the grocery store, there are also lots of yummy boxed soups- squash, carrot and ginger, potato and leek. All really good.

And I currently have a 10lb bag of potatoes, which I pop into the microwave to make baked potatoes! Super yummy, and lots of good nutrients and fiber (especially if you like the skin). I add some light butter and a bit of salt.

And for snacks I air-pop popcorn, which takes about 5 minutes (and the machine costs less than $20 at walmart) and is ultra low-cal and fiber high! I also like the low-sugar applesauce with blueberry and strawberry puree- just 50 calories for half a cup.

Last edited by kelly315; 09-08-2012 at 04:51 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Like Kaplods I do a lot of bulk cooking and have things available. There is always grilled chicken within reach to be warmed up for whatever I choose. I usually have various veggies within reach that are already prepared as well: my mother and I roast red peppers and grilled various other veggies to keep on hand along with hardboiled eggs. I can always make a quick salad or wrap if I choose and I'll usually do that for lunch (made the day before and grabbed before I leave for work).

In my house we do keep a stash of Morning Star veggie burgers (various flavors) on hand that are sometimes eaten when it's a lazy day and nobody is quite sure what they feel like for dinner. They're very convenient and quick.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #6  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

FOR BREAKFAST: bananas or an orange cut into 8's; 1-minute oatmeal or other dry whole grain cereal; but my fave is whole grain english muffin with a cooked egg with chz & ketchup. Alternate is a medium, whole grain bagel with PB or cheese.

LUNCH: veggie pita pizza; or sandwiches: tuna or salmon salad; egg salad; chicken salad from l/o cooked chicken; or bunwich or 6" subwich. OR, soup with some leftover roasted veggies that I do on Sunday or Monday.

VEGGIES: baby carrots (alone or with PB); cucumber & tomato slices (ez & quick); chz celery boats; I do cheat and buy bag coleslaw or shredded carrots sometimes, but do keep cabbage on hand too; I grow my own cherry tomatoes in summer.

SNACKS: yogurt; UNsalted nuts; cheese slices; apples or other fruit: fresh, baked or stewed; NSA puddings; pepperettes; hard-boiled eggs; applesauce; 100-cal homemade muffins or loaves; for the kiddies: chz or pb & crackers.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-08-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 162/128/125

Height: 5'4"

I try to do bulk cooking too. And it's going to be getting cooler soon, so it'll be time for more soups like chicken & corn soup and chili. They are 2 of my favorites. My favorite easy go to meal is a can of tuna, cannillini beans, tomato, cucumber and a tiny bit of dressing mixed together, served on crackers. Yum!
TzuMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #8  
~Never Quit~

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'7"

Today I didn't have time to make lunch so I grabbed a Green Giant Steamers Cheesy Rice and Broccoli. A few minutes in the microwave and I had a semi decent meal @ 150 cal per serving or 225 for the whole bag! Yes, I ate the whole thing.
EatMoreCelery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I batch cook like the others. It's great to be able to just warm something up when I need it. Other quick foods are stir fry with frozen stir fry mix, and I always keep frozen seafood on hand because it thaws and cooks so quickly.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I get these Indian meals that come in a plastic bag. Microwave and eat. They're yummy with pita bread.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #11  

Height: 5'3"

My favourite quick meal is..........eggs. You can do so much with them.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote