3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   What to stock up on at Whole Foods? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/265397-what-stock-up-whole-foods.html)

LebenAlles 08-30-2012 10:32 AM

What to stock up on at Whole Foods?

Hey All,
In a couple of weeks I'm going to be in Atlanta where there will be a Whole Foods (There's not one where I live, nor not much that is even close). I want to stock up on some staples from there, but I'm not sure what I should get. Any suggestions? I'm on a 1440 calorie diet and have really only been partaking in whole foods like fresh produce and some whole grain breads, etc. Any suggestions would be great...I don't have any food allergies, and I'll be driving so there arent any limitations there.
Thanks!

bachelorette 08-30-2012 12:53 PM

Definitely hit up their bulk section. It's the only thing in that store that is reasonably priced. They have TONS of bulk stuff....many different beans, rices, grains, nuts, even chocolate and candies. Most of them organic too!

Mollewogg 08-30-2012 01:43 PM

Not sure what you will be able to transport home, but they have lots of good finds in their frozen entree section that can't be found anywhere else.

CoolMom75 08-30-2012 01:46 PM

Most of what I buy at my store (New Seasons, like Whole Foods) is fruit, veggies and meat so not really stuff that lasts. But organic bulk goods is a good idea, and organic oils and vinegars.

TripSwitch 08-30-2012 02:46 PM

All really good suggestions so far, and I see it has been mentioned too... I really like picking up stuff like olive oils and specialty vinegars too... especially from different regions... so if I'm doing a dish from a specific region of Italy I like to use olive oil from that area for example (I know, a bit over the top... but hey, why not right?)... also condiments and things that keep for awhile...

Do you maybe have some recipes you've been wanting to try that call for ingredients that you can't find where you are? Maybe pull those out and make a little shopping list and see if you can get them while you're there so you can finally try them out...

I'm definitely a fan of Whole Foods, but here in NYC they can be a bit overwhelming, I mean they are busier than Grand Central at rush hour! Fortunately we have home delivery which is a God send as far as I'm concerned... because those crowds can be a bit much and really take the fun out it for me, hopefully it's not like that down in Atlanta... let us know what interesting stuff that you find.... Enjoy and have fun!

kelly315 08-31-2012 07:43 AM

Most of what you get at whole foods is a good addition to a diet. Just make sure you're getting enough protein and fiber, and you should be fine. I like their bulk section, the greek yogurt options, and frozen meals (for once in a while, because of the salt). While their bread is generally 'healthier" than other breads, I still avoid it because it's very calorie dense.

LebenAlles 08-31-2012 08:21 AM

All really great suggestions guys, thanks!

Sacred, I'm crazy about different oils and vinegars myself, so I'm sure I'll be bringing some of that back.

Will definitely hit up their bulk section and I'll see if I can figure out something with the frozen stuff. It's a 5 hour drive from where I live (going for a music festival, not just to shop at Whole Foods, haha) so I'd have to put them in a cooler or something. Guess it all depends on what I find.

Thanks again guys, I'll update with what I find!