Old 06-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #16  
camper

S/C/G: 215/154/145

Height: 5'7 and 1/2

I have to say, if I follow this method or what myfitnesspal says I should be eating, I am eating WAY too low of calories. I am so afraid I will gain if I add these calories!! Even with my "free Day or free meal" I do not think there is anyway I am making up on the weekends, what I was deficient on during the week, but yet I still gained 5 lbs. So confusing!
camper67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 222/ 168/ STG 160/ LTG 145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper67 View Post
I have to say, if I follow this method or what myfitnesspal says I should be eating, I am eating WAY too low of calories. I am so afraid I will gain if I add these calories!! Even with my "free Day or free meal" I do not think there is anyway I am making up on the weekends, what I was deficient on during the week, but yet I still gained 5 lbs. So confusing!
Just sent you another email, but I'm going to quote part of it again for those following along, to try and make a bit more sense of the myfitnesspal piece.
girlsenberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 222/ 168/ STG 160/ LTG 145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiprincess View Post
girlsenberry- Thank you for that post!! I've been looking at my BMR and calorie needs more lately, but didn't know exactly what to do with it! LOL.
I jotted the math down and it all makes sense!! YAY!!

For BMR and calorie needs calculations I use this page!

You're welcome! Here is a bit more info to try and make a little more sense of the myfitnesspal.com numbers- it's using the same numbers I mentioned in my last comment:

"Definitely don't listen to myfitnesspal's goal numbers (they're what had me eating 1200 in the first place).. they want you to eat back [all] your exercise calories.. but with the Olivia method, you don't have to eat any back, unless you go over 581 in exercise cals.. and even then, you only eat what's above 581 (not the 581 itself). Your goal is to only eat 1399-1499- maybe start with a nice round number of 1400, or 1450, that way it's easier to see.

Myfitnesspal- this is going to probably seem a little confusing, but there is another number that you're going to put into your "goal" section. Remember that maintenance number I mentioned before- 1818? That is the number I want you to put into your MFP "goal" section. What you're going to do, is only eat between 1399-1499 (Again, I'd personally pick a nice round number, like 1400 or 1450 just so it's easier to "see")... but you're definitely never going to eat less that 1399 (because you need that number to "survive", k?)

So, say you set your goal calorie amount to 1400. If you burn more than 581 through exercise on a given day, you should eat at least the surplus calories. So if you were to burn, say, 800 calories through exercise, you would want to eat (800-581=) 219 calories above your goal of 1400 - so at least 1619 for that day.

Per that Olivia method article: "Now for the fun part. When you look at your numbers in your MFP tracker, the green number under the word REMAINING will show your total deficit for the day. [You'll see this on your "wall"- it's the big number at the top, and in your food tracker at the bottom]. The smaller that number is, the closer you are to maintaining your weight. If that number is near 500 and you kept it like that for a week you would lose 1 pound. If that number is near 1000, you would lose 2 pounds. I usually aim to keep that number between 500 - 1000. I personally LOVE being able to see my deficit for the day. It really makes me feel in control of my weight loss. I have a small deficit on my days off from working out, and I have a larger deficit on my long run days (big calorie burns). ""

Hope that all makes sense . I definitely don't mind reexplaining more..
girlsenberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #19  
camper

S/C/G: 215/154/145

Height: 5'7 and 1/2

You are so helpful!!!! HUGS!
camper67 is offline   Reply With Quote