Old 12-09-2011, 05:34 AM   #1  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Default surviving the office holiday party

So, for the first time in 13 years, I attended the office holiday party and was reminded why I haven't attended for so long.

I was looking forward to shrimp cocktail and dark chocolate covered strawberries. Neither appeared on the menu.

I don't drink, and it was easy to have seltzer with lemon. Also, due to this fact, I was a designated driver. Note: my passenger was significantly hammered! We were staying an hour--we stayed 4, and I was ready to go in an hour...she was not.

The cheese/cracker tray, I almost avoided entirely except that I tried a piece of cooked crab cucumber sushi. It smelled, literally, like dirt. Tasted like dirt as well and I found a napkin and moved myself to an area were I could, unnoticed, spit it out and toss it. For those of you who enjoy sushi; sorry. I can't eat the raw stuff (liver issues--which is why I don't drink or take tylenol either). To get the dirt taste out of my mouth, I had 1 cracker and 1 very small piece of cheese. I don't even know what kind of cheese it was; something mild.

There was an array of grilled veggies, and I had those. There was very fishy smelling salmon in franchais sauce which I avoided due to the sauce and aroma. Other people avoided it for the same reasons. I had 10 pieces of penne in vodka sauce; again, a disappointment, but if it was delicious I would have had more, so I guess this worked in my favor.

I passed over the fried calamari and took 1 small piece of eggplant rolatini. It, too, was merely ok. There was what looked like flax seed breaded chicken sitting atop rice with vegetables and some bok choy. I had a small piece with a spoon of rice and a lot of the bok choy.

I bypassed the carving station that offered turkey, roast beef, stuffing (weird) and gravy. I rounded back to the cheese tray and next to it was fresh mozzarella and tomato, and I had 2 slices of each, and some green grapes. There was a tiny bit of penne with pesto--and I didn't eat that. There was a tray of lox and cream cheese--again, people thought that was weird--I had none.

That is pretty much what the food choices were, so basically, I ate a lot of vegetables. AND, they didn't even offer a green salad. Odd, right? On the one hand, the choices forced me to make healthy choices, but even the healthy choices were just so-so, and I'm reminded why I don't attend this party. I won't be attending next year, for sure.

Dessert was assorted cakes that were cut into 1 inch cubes, 2 chocolate frosting pinwheel logs with very little cake in them, and an ice cream table with toppings of gummy bears, licorice bits, M&Ms, whipped cream, and I don't even know what else. Really, the choices were crap, except for a tray of fruit, and I avoided all of it but had a cup of coffee with a dollap of whipped cream in it.

I had a conversation with one of the firm's partners who is also one of the firm's "biggest losers" who agreed that the food was awful, even the healthy choices were lacking, and we both commented on how the desserts, while disastrous choices, WEREN'T EVEN APPETIZING and how we both were looking forward to chocolate covered strawberries that never materialized.

The worst part about the food is that this was held in a prestigious club, and it looked/felt more like a rented hall with brought in foods--like nothing at all had been prepared at the venue. Clearly, when they set up the ice cream bar, they had large tubs of locally manufactured ice cream scooping directly from them...no attempt was even made to transfer the ice cream to something lovely...just these frosted over cardboard tubs. There was nothing elegant about this.

I left the party hungry. I didn't eat when I got home, however. My daughter was in bed, my husband was asleep on the couch, I took the dog out and rather than wake everyone I went to bed as well.

Last edited by 124chicksinger; 12-09-2011 at 05:37 AM.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #2  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Sounds like someone tried to cut corners on the party. It's a lot easier to navigate a party without feeling sorry for yourself when the treats aren't even tempting, isn't it?

My tactic for dealing with tempting treats at holiday parties, well - I posted it last year and I think the consensus was that no one found it useful! But I don't think I am that much of a freak, so I will post it again, in hopes that it inspires someone. (this is for a different type of party from yours, not a dinner party, but one between meals at the office). I did not even look at the treats when I arrived at the party. Treats weren't my reason for being there, and it wasn't going to be the end of the world if I didn't eat any. I found someone to talk to, sat down, and enjoyed the party. At the very end, when I was leaving, I looked at the treat table and saw whether there was anything left that looked really special and worth the calories. If there was, I took one and left the party. The reason this worked for me is because it is a lot easier for me to eat none of something and turn my mind to something else, than it is to eat one of something and then stop while the plate is still sitting there looking tempting. So, that's what I did last year, it is what I will do this year, and I hope someone finds it useful this time!
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/256.3/160

Height: 5'10"

Wow I'm sorry about the bad food

I look forward to our Christmas dinner every year. The last 2 years we have been going the city club and the food is fantastic. Limited options, but great food. This year we had a cocktail hour, seafood gumbo, a salad with a Dijon-vinagrette dressing. Main course was a choice between fillet mignon and fish in a lemon reduction sauce. Both you could top with crab meat. I had the fish with crab meat and it was one of the best fish I've ever had. Dessert was bread pudding in a white chocolate rum sauce. Yum!

I would go to our christmas dinner even if the food was bad - i love hanging out with my coworkers for company outings!
KatTheAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

Our party this year was at a jazz club. The food was all at stations or passed on trays, no sit-down meal, so I was lucky. I had had my regular dinner at home before I went and didn't eat any of the food. I did have one drink (vodka soda).

Sorry the food at yours was such a disappointment! If you can't avoid it then it should at least be appetizing.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #5  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

We won't have a company Christmas party. Y'all are lucky to get one....
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #6  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

In the past I have attended some with good food and some with bad....But I just never enjoyed these types of affairs. I always felt the pressure to attend the grand performance when I would rather have stayed home and enjoyed my family
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #7  

Sorry that the party was so lousy. I can't remember ever working anywhere that served tempting foods at functions. For 99% of the work functions I attend, resisting the food is really easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
My tactic for dealing with tempting treats at holiday parties, well - I posted it last year and I think the consensus was that no one found it useful! . . . did not even look at the treats when I arrived at the party. Treats weren't my reason for being there, and it wasn't going to be the end of the world if I didn't eat any. I found someone to talk to, sat down, and enjoyed the party. At the very end, when I was leaving, I looked at the treat table and saw whether there was anything left that looked really special and worth the calories. If there was, I took one and left the party. The reason this worked for me is because it is a lot easier for me to eat none of something and turn my mind to something else, than it is to eat one of something and then stop while the plate is still sitting there looking tempting. So, that's what I did last year, it is what I will do this year, and I hope someone finds it useful this time!
Actually, that seems like a great idea! I like the fact that you just adjusted the timing; the idea is that we can have something as long as we wait for it. Thanks!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Height: 5'3"

My office is having two parties...I have a good excuse to skip one of them, as my shift ends 4 hours before the party starts...

The second party I can't get out of. My boss is throwing it for all law enforcement in the city...and as a measly dispatcher/booking officer I get to help do all the actual party throwing work and act as party planner, caterer, waiter, butler and cleanup crew. I think its hilarious that I got a formal invitation in my inbox the other day, lol.

Good part of that is I'll have less time to stuff my face. I'm going to rebel and bring something healthy, muahahaha! Bad thing is that my coworkers are some amazing cooks...this is going to be tough. My boss's mom has her own barbeque sauce line..You can buy it locally and its soooo good. He's bringing barbeque, of course.
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #9  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Yea, it was easy to avoid the non-temptation....lol I planned for some tho--I'll have to give myself a treat this weekend to make up for it.

Carter, I live by your signature--I tell myself when faced with a food dilemma that "this isn't the last ___ in the world" and it truly helps when an unplanned food attack arises.

The company at the party was for the most part lovely and I certainly got to chat with people I don't see on a daily basis, so there was an upside. Just that ugh food and I'd have liked to leave earlier. Lesson learned.

ON THE UP SIDE--it didn't do me in...haha.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I just eat dinner before I go and skip eating the catered meal. I go to dance and talk with coworkers. I typically have a drink (or two) before and during, then go on to party somewhere else.

It's not everyday that I have a sitter!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote