3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   Is 1,200 calories + exercise REALLY too low? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/227587-1-200-calories-exercise-really-too-low.html)

badassey 03-23-2011 09:13 AM

Just to throw my 2-cents in here...

I think one of the reasons a lot of people who diet on a low-calorie regimen (1200 calories) gain the weight back is because they were not all too serious about losing weight, to begin with. Personally, I have done that over and over again for about the past 8 years. I would eat as little as 500 calories a day because I wanted to lose weight as fast as possible and see results and not be fat anymore. But in the end, I wasn't serious about it. It wasn't about a life commitment to being healthy - it was all about vanity and being skinny.

This time around, I am very serious about what I am doing. Up until last week, I had the exact same concern you did - is 1200 calories enough? Is it unhealthy? After MUCH thought and consideration, I've decided to start calorie-cycling I eat calories in a daily cycle of: 1200 one day, then 1300 the next day, 1400 the next, 1200, 1300 and so on... On my 1300 and 1400 days I find myself struggling to eat that much. But it makes me feel good that I'm giving my body an additional nutrient (an ounce of nuts for good fat, or a greek yogurt for protein/calcium, etc) rather than not eating those extra calories at all.

I think it really depends on your mindset and whether or not you are serious about losing weight. The fact that you are concerned about what is healthy and what is not shows that you are serious. This leads me to believe that no matter what calorie intake you choose, you will succeed.

I have been a yo-yo dieter since I was 13. This time, it's a true commitment. And I have it ingrained in my brain that this is what I truly want: to be healthy and happy and to live a long and fulfilling life.

If you feel good and not hungry at 1,200 calories - go for it! You have the OK from your nutritionist - and you know your body much better than we do. Listen to it. Treat it well. If you do those things, I think you'll be golden.

As far as eating different calories when entering maintenance - I have no wisdom on that subject. I'm planning on just listening to my body and seeing what works for me.

Again, that's just my 2-cents. Hope it helped! :-)

sweetiieheart 03-23-2011 01:09 PM

I'm trying to stick around 1100 or 1200, and I've lost about 13 lbs so far, and I've been doing the counting calories thing for about two months now.

I think that it really depends on your height and whatnot :)

Eliana 03-23-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtraSpicyPlease (Post 3764090)
How about 1400 calories and HIIT 5x/week? Is that too low? I have been doing this for 2 weeks and have not seen the scale budge.

Am I supposed to change the ratio of proteins/carbs/fats?

True HIIT? Yes, it's too low. And if you're doing TRUE HIIT 5 times a week, that's too much. ;) It isn't recommended to do it more than 2-3 times as it's very hard on the body. But true HIIT is going all out as in ALL out in a manner that can not be sustained for more than 20-30 seconds. You go all out for 20-30 seconds, and then back it down for 60-90 seconds before going again. This is done 6-12 times.

Now if you're talking about intervals, that's a different story. ;) Intervals are awesome too!

I recommend listening to your body. I did 1200 calories at very high levels of intensity with my exercise, though not specifically HIIT. If I took a 26 mile bike ride, I took an extra snack above my calories. If I felt sluggish and could pin point it to a caloric deficit, then I would eat.

I do fine with most activities on 1200 calories and notice no ill effects most of the time. But my weight loss also stalls frequently, so take that for what it's worth. :)

kmac1196 03-23-2011 07:21 PM

Just curious where you are getting info on TRUE hiit? I follow the Body for life HIIT cardio program and I was under the assumption that its TRUE. Also, all of the searches I've come up with say the same. Just curious. Thanks!

Eliana 03-23-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmac1196 (Post 3772080)
Just curious where you are getting info on TRUE hiit? I follow the Body for life HIIT cardio program and I was under the assumption that its TRUE. Also, all of the searches I've come up with say the same. Just curious. Thanks!

Searches on the internet. I have read extensively that there is a lot of poor information out there about the difference between HIIT and intervals.

kmac1196 03-24-2011 06:34 AM

I hope I can post this link without it being a problem...if not, sorry! I just really like this guy and always breaks down things in such a reasonable way. This is from a few years ago but worth reading again, I think....

http://www.burnthefat.com/high_inten..._training.html

Eliana 03-24-2011 07:40 AM

You can find pros and cons to HIIT, like anything else. I think we all have to use our own bodies as our personal experiments. If it works for you great! :)

I think my only point is that HIIT in the sense that you are pushing your body to its absolute limits, which is different than intervals, is an extremely intense workout, should not be performed more than 2-3 times per week and (as relates to this thread) is a routine that needs to be fed, specifically with carbs and protein.

I completely disagree with the article linked, but that's just my opinion. :dunno:

In any case, this thread inspired me to get back to HIIT, and I had my first session this morning. My legs are feeling the burn. :D

reikobw 03-27-2011 06:30 AM

CocoLoco, I'm also going to throw in my 2 cents' worth! Sorry that it's not accurate science or anything, but just from my personal experience.
Before I went to teach English in China for a year, I ate 1000 calories a day (which was fine for me, I was never hungry) and I lost 1kg (that's like just over 2pounds I think? don't know much about pounds, we use kgs ;-) ) a week. If I ate 1200 calories a day, I didn't lose nor put on. I just stayed the same. When I came back from China, 15kgs heavier (33pounds), I went back to calorie counting....but was always hungry on 1000 calories a day, and I started PUTTING on weight. Eeeek!!!!
So I decided to play around a bit, and began having 1200calories a day, and what do you know, I began losing again, and I'm no where near hungry. It's more than enough food for me. I've don't exercise at all, I'm too lazy and too busy. Guilty as charged, but whatever.
So, I agree with Lori Bell, 1200 calories is perfect for me - I am quite small boned and about 5'4-ish....so I say go for it!!! If it works, keep doing it. Why fix what 'aint broken?

And to all the other lovely ladies out there - you are all so motivational and inspirational - keep up the good work!!!! we can beat this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-) :-)

joyfulloser 03-27-2011 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmac1196 (Post 3772489)
I hope I can post this link without it being a problem...if not, sorry! I just really like this guy and always breaks down things in such a reasonable way. This is from a few years ago but worth reading again, I think....

http://www.burnthefat.com/high_inten..._training.html

GREAT ARTICLE! I love the way he points out the pros and cons of HIIT, while giving other options such as steady state and interval training.

BTW, I have the book, Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle....and Tom Venuto actually recommends HIIT to some of his clients. There are many different styles of HIIT given in his book.

I highly recommend reading it...he's one of the few trainers that's not all hype!:)

kmac1196 03-27-2011 07:45 AM

Agreed! Really like him!!!

stacygee 03-27-2011 09:35 AM

I did a lot of exercise on 1200 calories for 2-3 months and felt successful and didn't have any adverse reactions... however I go frustrated when I hit a plateau. I had no where to go. You aren't supposed to have less then 1200 calories and I was already working out a lot. I also started feeling as though 1200 was not sustainable for longterm.

I eat 1500 regularly now and about two days a week try to be around 1200. 1500 is an amount that is extremly satisfying for me.

Also, if you are going to exercise a lot with a 1200 calorie diet I would say to make sure a lot of those calories are protein... feed your muscles and don't waste any calories!

fancypants 03-27-2011 08:11 PM

I'm currently doing a 1200-1500 diet and I'm doing 1 hour exercise 6 days a week. I get a diet delivery service called Lite N easy (Australia) Everything is all counted for me and its healthy food (veggies,nuts,fruit) and I'm feeling pretty good, if I get hungry I just snack on some almonds or something high in protein ( usually after or before exercising)
When I do hit a plateau I'll just mix my diet up a bit adding and subtracting calories (Obviously not going below 1200) :D