Old 05-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 252/225/180

Height: 5'9

readyfreddy- I would like to start a thread on this style of eating, back to the basics. I don't want to start the thread under a certain plan's name since, I feel most of them are not sustainable long term. But, then what would it be called?
celrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #32  

Height: 5'5"

Some people call it paleo or caveman eating? although its a little different than low carb.

Maybe you could call it back to basics?
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 308/See Ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I do a combination. I had been doing calorie counting but my weight loss stalled after 50 lbs. I ALWAYS get stuck at 260...the fact that I say "always" shows that I've done this many times before. When I calorie count, I keep my carbs below 100. I find that just a few of the "wrong" carbs can trigger binges and cravings. Even fruit: I can eat no oranges or a bag of oranges. When my weight loss sticks like this I go back to low-carb, but I still stick to my 1100 calorie a day limit....so no buttered bacon for me! I make sure all of my carbs come from veggies (which don't trigger cravings for some reason) and I don't stick to induction levels for more than 2 weeks. Atkins says to add back carbs till you stop losing weight. I'm thinking of trying the Dukan diet, since this is pretty much what I do already... low/no carb for a week, then low cal/ moderate carb. It might be nice to have some guidance.
Peggypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

I do both. There is no definition of low carb same for low calorie. What is low for one might be fine for another. Calculators are averages of a wide range of people. It will not tell you what you should be doing/eating.

I set a calorie level, then as I learned more about carbs, I incorporated those values into my tracking on my food journal. DS, 22yrs, was diagnosed with Crohn's so I was thurst head long, fast and furious, into dietary affects on ones immune system. Crohn's is an autoimmune disease , one of many metabolic disorders. My familiarity with recording allowed us to guide DS easier and find a very healthy eating level for him. There might be surprises along the way. DS, 14 yr, saw pediatriciam today. Congestion/allergies and acne are at least 90% improved with only being carb conscious (as opposed to low carb). He used to run have tissues nearby. Doc was pleasantly surprised as he is in the grass a lot- all star lacrosse player. Never anticipated this result, ever.

Taking this success of ours and applying it to your situation- record other symptoms. Might not have ancillary benefits, but maybe you will.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #35  

Karen925, Thanks for the info. I've often thought it wasn't so much the carbohydrates that did me in, as the TYPE of carbohydrates. Veggies don't seem to hurt my weight loss at all, no matter how many I eat. I think grains and starches cause some kind of inflammatory reaction in my body. I feel awful when I eat them, and no matter how low I take my calories I don't lose weight. I don't think these carbs cause weight gain so much as they make it very hard for my body to burn fat, because of the inflammation. Basically, it's the reduced calorie intake that is causing the fat burn, but the lack of inflammation in my body is what allows the fat burn to happen..if that makes sense. Kind of how a fire burns wood, but if the wood is damp or there isn't enough oxygen the fire won't burn efficiently and the wood won't be consumed.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 147/135.3/127-132

Height: 5'2"ish

We need a separate area for cal/carb conscious folk because it really is a different kind of lifestyle.

Like I REALLY need to figure out some high protein lower/healthy fat & low carb snacks that aren't sodium bombs or edamame (gross).

Last edited by bluemonday; 05-19-2011 at 01:12 PM.
bluemonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #37  

Nonfat greek yogurt! 90 cals, 15 protein, 7 carbs. Soo satisfying!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #38  

Height: 5'5"

Low carb snack and food ideas: string cheese, almonds, peanut butter and celery (make sure you get PB with out added sugar), green olives, miso soup, sashimi, tuna salad on endive, coleslaw (modified with no sugar), salad with crab, butter lettuce and avocado, shrimp, turkey burger with a lettuce "bun", hard boiled eggs, cucumber slices with ranch, lite cheese and broccoli

etc etc!!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote