3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   Food Poisoning. Ugh. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/217899-food-poisoning-ugh.html)

pammi2003 11-21-2010 01:20 PM

Food Poisoning. Ugh.

So, I went out on Friday with some friends to a sushi place I've never been before. I only had the grilled chicken breast and substituted the rice for steamed veggies. Sounds pretty safe, right? Wrong!!!

Exactly 2 hours later I was puking like a madwoman and the diarrhea was the worst I have ever had (sorry for the TMI) Not to mention the cramps resembled the ones I was having when I was in labor. Yes, it was that bad. I actually managed to get out of bed the next morning for work. But I had to leave early because I was getting the chills and a fever :(

I still counted my calories yesterday just to see how much I was able to hold down. I only had one banana, a popsicle, one grape, 1/2 cup of applesauce, a piece of toast and a gatorade. 500 calories total.

Today I woke up and just for the fun of it, I stepped on the scale. 3 lbs lost since my last weigh in. Which was 6 days ago. Holy moly!!!

Is it wrong of me to be a little happy for my post food poisoning weight loss? :D

beni 11-21-2010 01:46 PM

Wow, I think you were really lucky that things went (crampy) but quite quickly "through".
I am very sorry to hear about the abdominal cramps, it must have been horrible at the time!

Well, I think, there should be some kind of "reward" after all :)

AmandaMamma 11-21-2010 01:51 PM

No its not wrong. But just be aware that most of that is water that you lost. You lose so so much with what you had going on there. So once you start to get back up to hydrated don't be sad if the numbers go up one or two.

I caught my toddler's stomach bug last year and it was so dehydrating my kidneys hurt. I went to urgent care for an IV.

Don't push yourself until you are better.

I'm a chef and have my state board license for food safety. If you are curious you could call your local health department to check for other complaints.

yhahmd 11-21-2010 01:54 PM

Oh wow, that's terrible! I can definitely relate, though. I've had it once or twice. Really horrible thing to go through. I agree with AmandaMamma, don't push yourself just yet. Eat foods light on the stomach and drink plenty of water.

hope you feel better!

pammi2003 11-21-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmandaMamma (Post 3577865)
No its not wrong. But just be aware that most of that is water that you lost. You lose so so much with what you had going on there. So once you start to get back up to hydrated don't be sad if the numbers go up one or two.

I caught my toddler's stomach bug last year and it was so dehydrating my kidneys hurt. I went to urgent care for an IV.

Don't push yourself until you are better.

I'm a chef and have my state board license for food safety. If you are curious you could call your local health department to check for other complaints.

Thank you for the advice :)

I never had food poisoning before and I must admit, I felt like bursting into tears a few times. Such a horrible feeling!

I only did a low impact workout this morning. Nothing too extreme. Also, I was planning on calling the restaurant today just to let them know what happened.

keziah23 11-23-2010 01:44 PM

You might already know this, but it probably was not the sushi place, most food poisoning takes 6-18 hours to start making you sick after ingesting the food. That being said, even though I KNOW it was not the McDonalds that gave me food poisoning, I still won't eat it because that's the last thing I ate before becoming violently ill for several days and ending up in ER.

AmandaMamma 11-24-2010 01:26 AM

There are several common foodborne illnesses which cause those symptoms that have an incubation period a few hours. One of those is most commonly found in improperly cooked rice. Sushi place? Hmmm... Very suspect indeed! And even if you didn't have the rice cross contamination is quite common.

Hope you are feeling better. :)

yossarianlives 11-25-2010 11:37 AM

Glad you're feeling better!

I had food poisoning last year, adn it was awful! I was staying at a friend's house and I stayed in his bed. Things could have been romantic... but they were not thanks to my rapidly emptying stomach and bowels... but now it's a HILARIOUS story, as you can imagine... *sigh*