Old 08-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/210/120

Height: 5'3"

Question Does it matter when you drink your water during the day?

So I have been totally off plan (not just a little... BAD) these last 2 weeks and I'm gettin back with it today. I usuallly chug water all day, but I pee ALL the time. I got a new job, and can only leave the room once for my 1 hour lunch and my 2 10 miinute breaks. No potty breaks between. So I figured ill just drink a bit during the day, and as soon as I'm off at 5:15, id start chugging water. Would this be ok??
briters89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #2  
Bear Down..Lost 38 in '10

S/C/G: 260.0/219.4/113.0

Height: 5'

It will be interesting to see the responses to your question. Only having certain times for potty breaks would be tough on me. I'm sure I would cut back on my intake too. I'm in Burien by the way. Nice to meet you neighbor!
gottadoit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #3  

I think I've seen burien on the map. my hubby and I just moved up here from california. Were loving it so far, except for this heat! There is no ac here!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #4  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

i'm not sure if it's ok, but it's what i do as a teacher, i only get 1 break and a lunch break during the day...i also have NO leeway when it comes to leaving the classroom...unlike my old job, where leaving the phone unattended in case of an emergency was frowned upon but ok, leaving a class of 30 16year olds unattended is not only frowned upon, but illegal. haha. i drink most of my water between 4 and 9 pm (of course, it leads to more bathroom breaks in the middle of the night)
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #5  

Thanks amy, that's what I'm thinking. I work in infant developement, and I see no other options... I'm off at 515, then take the bus home. I suppose ill start drinking once I leave work. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The only thing you have to be careful of is drinking water faster than your kidneys can process. If your kidneys are healthy that's usually about a quart/liter per hour.

More than that, especially on a consistent basis, can cause problems (such as electrolyte imbalances, which can even be dangerous).

It's unlikely that you'd want to chug more than a quart per hour, so generally it's not going to be a problem.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-16-2010 at 11:58 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #7  

Thank you kaplods! I wasn't sure what the numbers were. Ill be sure to watch it.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #8  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Quote:
Does it matter when you drink your water during the day?
It doesn't matter if you drink your endless quarts of water AT ALL!

While sometimes people mistake thirst for hunger, you absolutely do not need to chug water to lose weight. Dr. Oz busted this myth on Oprah a few years ago and I was SO happy to hear that I only needed to drink water when I was actually thirsty. I lost 193 pounds in around 18 months and only drink water when I am hot and thirsty. My water chugging days and endless trips to the bathroom are over. What a dream come true! It is absolutely not necessary to torture yourself like that!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 08-17-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Water timing can be important for some people... ie athletes during an event. For the average person and even the average gym-goer, it really doesn't matter much at all.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/165/135

Height: 5'3

Hmm so Dr. Oz says we dont have to have the 64oz a day? Another question i had was does it count as water if I put in a packet of crystal light?
BettyBoop2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Everything counts towards your water requirements except hard liquor. Even wine, beer and coffee contribute (they're not as dehydrating as commonly thought).

Your body has no problem seperating the water from whatever it's coming in with. You could even get all of your water requirements from food, if you were eating very moist foods.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #12  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Everything counts towards your water requirements except hard liquor. Even wine, beer and coffee contribute (they're not as dehydrating as commonly thought).

Your body has no problem seperating the water from whatever it's coming in with. You could even get all of your water requirements from food, if you were eating very moist foods.
Yes, this is what the Dr. OZ said as well.

I decided to post a link for the those who have been forcing down water all these years because it's been ingrained in their brains for so long! What a relief to know it's just NOT necessary.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/six-common-medical-myths
Quote:
Six Common Medical Myths

MYTH 2. You should drink 8 glasses of water a day

This little ditty has been circulating since a 1945 guideline recommendation from the Nutrition Board of the National Research Council (NRC) read, "An ordinary standard for diverse persons is 1 milliliter for each calorie of food. Most of this quantity is contained in prepared foods."

For some reason the last sentence, which is really an important point, got cut from the story telling. Hence the 8, 8-ounce glasses of water a day rule persisted. What the board really meant was humans need 2.5 liters of fluid a day (assuming a 2500 calorie diet). But fluid comes from many sources, not just water alone, including other beverages such as coffee and from fruits, vegetables, yogurt and rice.

Healthy people at rest naturally maintain a water balance and what you don't use you excrete as urine. Still, if you consume too much water too quickly, you can get water toxicity, a potentially life-threatening situation where the kidneys just can't manage processing large quantities of fluid all at once.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 08-17-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #13  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

hmmm, thats interesting, because I do tend to loose slower if I dont drink enough water. I hold onto all the sodium.. I've noticed since I started making myself drink more water I'm losing a lot faster.. but before I was awful about drinking water I was lucky if I had a small glass once every day or every other day. I was seriously dehydrated. when ever I'd go in for for blood work I'd have to get poked 3-4 time because I would be so dehydrated they could find a vein. Since my doctor told me to start drinking more water I haven't had that problem... now i'm not getting the recommended 8-10 glass of water but I am getting about 5-6 in a day and I notice a good difference in that I'm losing much faster and that my skin feels better and they can actually find my veins when I need blood work.. so maybe this isnt true for every one

Last edited by mariamherrera; 08-17-2010 at 02:10 PM.
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #14  

Height: 5' 8"

I was in a similar situation as Mariam, I know I was not getting enough water, because they always had a difficult time drawing blood. Since a nurse suggested drinking more water, I never have that problem anymore. Also when my husband quit drinking coffee and started drinking water to replace it and many aches and pains he felt before have faded away. Now when he starts to ache he drinks more water.

So while you may not need 8 8 oz glasses a day, there are many people out there who do not get enough daily.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #15  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I agree with Brown.

I drink more water than anyone I know and I firmly believe that it has contributed to my weight loss. I also firmly believe that everyone is different...what works for one will not necessarily work for another and what one needs, another might not. I know that I lose weight more easily, have more energy and feel better when I am drinking water all throughout the day.

I have two stepcousins who absolutely never drink water. And while both of them are very small, they are also terribly unhealthy and get sick so often it's pitiful. They both eat like birds and what they do eat is just plain crap. I couldn't live like that!

As for drinking after you get off work, I can't think of any reason that would be a problem. Like Kaplods said, just don't drink too fast or more than your body can handle in that time frame.
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote