Old 07-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #1  
sweetpoison

S/C/G: 224/230/160

Height: 5'5"

Question Anyone use Frozen Meals... with success.

Hi
Been awhile since I have been around... having been trying to low carb...not doing real good. I brought up an old thread and then figured I would just start a new post... in case no pays an attention to the old one.

I was wondering... has anyone used the frozen meals (there are so many....) kinda like doing a Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem...only cheaper. If so... did you lose the weight you wanted to? Did you transition to a different plan and keep the weight off?

It seems the plan I was most successful with was the frozen food type. I do have concerns about the ingredients... since I am trying to cut the garbage/processed junk.... but they are not "that" bad and I figure I MUST get this weight down for health issues... so if I can drop it then transistion to a more whole foods/portion control type plan to keep it off.

So.... any success stories with frozen meals???

Thank you
Vicki
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

They just never seem like as much FOOD to me as simple things I make from basic ingredients. I like to eat and need as much food as possible.

Last edited by Shmead; 07-13-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #3  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Ok here's my thought. I started with nutrisystem and lost 30 lbs in 4 months. This was a necessary step in my success. I learned portion control. But once I realized like what shmead said that I could get so much more food by making it myself I switched to doing it on my own. I could also get much tastier food without all the sodium and preservatives. So as a starting point if it's what you have to do to get the ball rolling the go for it, but as soon as you're comfortable doing it on your own you should.

Last edited by ncuneo; 07-13-2010 at 08:31 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #4  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I eat frozen meals on a fairly regular basis. Now, let me duck and hide from the sodium/sugars/preservatives police. Lol.

I find them to be easier, faster and more convenient than a lot of other options. Of course I realize that it would be healthier to eat whole and non processed foods...but that just isn't going to be manageable for all of us.

I would say I eat a 200 calories Digornia pizza (spellings) three times a week, lean cuisines four or five and the green giant frozen veggies entrees 4 or 5. I've lost 54 pounds. My diet is not based on these meals, but they have been part of it. It is possible!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I was using Bistro MD when I first started out. These are very expensive, but very healthy (especially good if you want to control carbs, low calorie, low sodium and filling). It taught me alot about what was missing from my diet. It also taught me portion control. I weaned myself off them and was able to incorporate what I had learned and do it myself. I transitioned and I've continued to lose weight.

I still have no problem using frozen foods/dinners in my plan at all. There are alot of healthier choices out there than there once were. I say give it a try and see if it works for you. Look for lower sodium choices (just compare brands, meal for meal), whole grains and lean proteins and you should be safe. Don't be afraid to round out your meal with a fresh salad or steamed veggies if you don't think the frozen meal is enough. It will add very little calories (if you choose wisely) and it will add some extra nutrition and bulk to your meal.

Best of luck to you!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/202/??

Height: 4'10"

I lost 60 pounds eating frozen meals but I don't cook. I have now switched off of frozen meals because it has gotten to the point where it isn't enough food. I need to have more filling foods, so I have given up the processed foods. The frozen foods did help me see the correct portions. I used to follow WW and now I have switched over to calorie counting.
My faves were the lean cuisines ones. If frozen meals will work for you, then you should do it. Try to incorporate more whole foods in as you can.
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #7  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I eat a Healthy Choice Cafe Steamer for lunch at work everyday. They seem to be fairly low in crap. And I think they are MUCH tastier than Lean Cuisine, etc. I then add a box of Green Giant veggies to them (or comparable amount of other brand of frozen veggies) because there just isn't enough veggies in them. But for pasta/meat portion control they are great. I mix the extra veggies right in my bowl. The sauces on them are quite tastey.

For frozen dinners - my FAVORITE brand is Contessa. NO crap in them AT ALL. YUMMY, Yummy. My hubby and I split a bag and end up with left overs. You have to watch though - there are a couple of them (with vodka sauce, I think) that are high in calories. But most of them are just right. I ALSO add extra veggies to them - though, they are one of the better ones for a nice sleection of veggies.

There are some Organic brands out there, too. I haven't tried them, but I would imagine they would be low in crap.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:55 AM   #8  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

I eat LEan Cuisine, WW and HEalthy Choice about 3 times a week. The only thing I don't like is that they are usually high in carbs, but they are convenient now and then.
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

I eat healthy choice or lean cuisine everyday and ive been losing weight. Its just conveinent.
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #10  

I make my own frozen meals. Once a week (Sunday, for example) I'll cook a bunch of meals and then freeze them in healthy portions to pull out whenever I need a quick meal. This past Sunday I made healthy zucchini muffins (whole grains, no sugar or oil), whole wheat sweet potato pierogies, and grilled chicken breasts. It takes a few minutes to defrost in the microwave or pop in the oven/toaster oven, and I know it's better for me than the Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice dinners.
SpoonSockSpork12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #11  

Height: 5' 7''

i used weight watchers when i was at my heaviest and lost weight, dont remember feeling hungry or anything though
Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 150/130/125

Height: 5'4" 42 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpoison View Post
Hi
Been awhile since I have been around... having been trying to low carb...not doing real good. Thank you
Vicki
Hi, I was on low carb for 2 month and lost 1 lb, even though I did exercise and have 20gr of carb per day. Have no idea why it didn’t work for me, so I am back on calories counting since Sunday and I am straggling with my appetite. I am so hungry.

How are you doing with having carbs in your menu again?
onthedietagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 150/130/125

Height: 5'4" 42 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpoison View Post
Hi

So.... any success stories with frozen meals???

Thank you
Vicki
I lost 9 lb in 23 days with frozen meals for dinner and lunch. It is not very healthy and I am quite a good cook, but where to take all that time to calculate calories in home made soup? It is very convenient, but from my experience if I have frozen dinner later then 7 pm, I am retaining water in the morning. My advice, if you have to have frozen dinner make sure you have enough water thru the day to flash out all the sodium.
onthedietagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #14  
sweetpoison

S/C/G: 224/230/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthedietagain View Post
Hi, I was on low carb for 2 month and lost 1 lb, even though I did exercise and have 20gr of carb per day. Have no idea why it didn’t work for me, so I am back on calories counting since Sunday and I am straggling with my appetite. I am so hungry.

How are you doing with having carbs in your menu again?
Well, I have not really started yet....... but as for carbs.... they dont usually mess with me to much unless I start the bad stuff.... ice cream, candy, some fruits (berries dont seem to bother me)...if I stay away from the junk cravings are there... but not overwelming....

I prefer low carb... but the truth is it gets old real fast and since I dont care to cook all the time.. I tend to grab stuff that is not low carb and throw all the low carb work right out the window.

I remember doing a diet with mostly frozen meals... before the lean type came out, and did real well with it and I am sure the old Banquet type meals were much worse than the lean type they have now.

Vicki
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #15  
over and over again

S/C/G: 336.1/328.7/160

Height: 5'6

Frozen meals is all I mostly eat. I've lost 70lbs since February just eating frozen meals. I usually eat birdseye steamfresh veggies with my frozen meals or fruit. They've taught me portion control and with the veggies I don't feel starved. It's easier for me to count calories that way. I've tried cooking a couple of times but I always seem to overeat and its hard to calculate everything I use to make my meal with. I know there is alot of sodium in the frozen meals but they've helped me lose alot of weight so far. The frozen meals I usually eat r Eating Right, its a safeway/vons brand(they have good, tasty selections) and Smart Ones.
sarcruze is offline   Reply With Quote