3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   What do you do with your egg yolks? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/206327-what-do-you-do-your-egg-yolks.html)

theresac 07-05-2010 04:27 AM

What do you do with your egg yolks?

Egg-white omlettes are all good and well (and delicious!), but what do you guys do with your yolks when you're done? Yeah, I get that they're high calorie and high cholesterol, but since I'm dieting on a shoestring budget, it kills me to throw away perfectly good food.

Any good egg yolks suggestions? Even high cal is fine, since my husband will eat it. ;)

Caela 07-05-2010 04:51 AM

I eat them lol What about getting egg beaters egg whites? Easy and no waste.

Oh and desserts usually use up more yolks like YUMMY pot de creme. I saw America's Test Kitchen once make individual ones that were really easy to make. But I don't know if dessert fits into your plans or not....

Vladadog 07-05-2010 06:50 AM

I dunno, I eat both parts of my eggs. Maybe make an egg yolk omlette for your husband to match your egg white one?

slim n up 07-05-2010 07:24 AM

I'm no help here, but I use the whole egg.

Wilma

seagirl 07-05-2010 07:35 AM

I eat them. That's where all the nutrients are.

Heather 07-05-2010 07:41 AM

I toss em. Generally buying eggs is cheaper than egg beaters...

But I have moved toward using more of the egg more often. I make scrambled eggs or omelettes with one whole egg and 2 whites. There ARE a lot of nutrients in the yolk!

saef 07-05-2010 07:51 AM

Feed them to a neighbor's friendly dog, a picture-perfect, show-quality Golden Retriever. The owner tells me the yolk is good for his coat.

Vladadog 07-05-2010 07:57 AM

I know there are calories in the yolk, and as Heather says, that's where the nutrients are but I wanted to addres the cholesterol myth. The warnings against eggs and their high cholesterol date from a time when it was thought that dietary cholesterol had a direct correlation with blood cholesterol. Science has come a long wat since then. Not only are the two not related but now we know there are two types of blood cholesterol and that eggs help with your "good" (HDL) cholesterol levels.

So don't throw out all your yolks without considering the goodness you are missing out on.

Caela 07-05-2010 09:18 AM

Another idea is meatloaf. And don't people also use yolks for their hair?

Yeah Heather, I like the taste of egg beaters, too but you are right that it's still probably cheaper to get a cartoon of eggs even with wasting the yolk. Sure there is analysis somewhere on that.

Shmead 07-05-2010 09:20 AM

Egg yolks are 74% fat, so while they may be nutritious, they have to be thought of like almonds or peanut butter. They won't make a proper omelet by themselves because they don't have enough protein: it's the protein in the whites that gets hard and stringy and holds the cooked egg together.

Feeding them to an animal is a good suggestion. I think they freeze pretty well, so you could freeze them and take them to someone who has a pet. There are recipes that call for egg yolks--chocolate silk pie, I think, and other deserts like that, but it's really kinda false economy if you spend $5 on other ingredients to avoid wasting $1 worth of egg yolks.

Bootsie 07-05-2010 09:21 AM

I give them to my chickens or I scramble them and give them to my dogs.

m3rma1d 07-05-2010 09:23 AM

I eat my eggs in tact... I don't believe in egg segregation--Equal rights for all egg colors! :p

Jane 07-05-2010 09:48 AM

Lol, m3rma1d!

I began eating the whole egg, after my doctor said to not worry about the yolks, within reason, because they are nutritious. But before that, I tossed raw yolks, and gave boiled ones to the dogs.

kayethree 07-05-2010 09:58 AM

I like Egg Whites International because it's easier than tossing the yolks.

Onederchic 07-05-2010 10:48 AM

I eat them too :D

Bootsie 07-05-2010 10:56 AM

I know there are calories in the yolk, and as Heather says, that's where the nutrients are but I wanted to addres the cholesterol myth. The warnings against eggs and their high cholesterol date from a time when it was thought that dietary cholesterol had a direct correlation with blood cholesterol. Science has come a long wat since then. Not only are the two not related but now we know there are two types of blood cholesterol and that eggs help with your "good" (HDL) cholesterol levels.
Where did you read this Vidadog? Would like to check into it for I have High cholesterol and my body makes it, eggs did not help the situation at all. I have chickens and love their eggs would like to eat the whole egg with out worrying. Doctor has warned me not to eat the yolk.

sweetnlow28 07-05-2010 10:59 AM

I usually eat one whole egg with two whites when I boil eggs. My husband gets the two extra yolks. If I am planning a dish like a fritata where I know I will waste a lot of yolks, I buy a carton of liquid egg whites and just use that. Egg fritata is my new favorite food. Its low calorie, filling and loaded with protein. I am going to post my recipe in the food section ;)

Vladadog 07-05-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootsie (Post 3371443)
Where did you read this Vidadog? Would like to check into it for I have High cholesterol and my body makes it, eggs did not help the situation at all. I have chickens and love their eggs would like to eat the whole egg with out worrying. Doctor has warned me not to eat the yolk.

Originally it was an article in the health section of the NY Times about recent studies. A lot of info out there still follows the old dietary cholesterol = blood cholesterol myth including the mayo clinic site. I think part of the problem is doctors hate admitting they were wrong in the past. Anyway, here's a link:

http://food-facts.suite101.com/artic..._heart_disease

and lots of interesting egg info at:

http://www.jrussellshealth.org/cholesterol.html

sotypical 07-05-2010 04:34 PM

I eat them. I used to be a strong believe in egg whites - I would always buy it in a carton.

I have decided now I would rather eat one whole egg then 2 egg whites. Sure there is more fat and less protein, but they are so delicious and cheap.

My favourtie breakfast right now is (and it keeps me full all morning)
high fibre toast w/ ham and a sunny side up egg!

TJFitnessDiva 07-05-2010 04:50 PM

I do the whole egg plus 2 egg white combo...the extra yolks get fed to my dogs :)

Kimberly7467 07-05-2010 05:44 PM

Like many others, I always just eat the whole egg. :)

ricepapr 07-05-2010 05:54 PM

I like to bake, so I save some of my yolks for that. My favorite brownie recipe calls for 5 yolks so that's what I make most often. I just make sure to take them to work or to a party afterward.

Recently I've been using Lucerne's white's only, which is like Egg Beaters but without the additives. I like the texture of that much better, but can only find it on the west coast. When I'm on the east coast, I tend to use a store-brand version of Egg Beaters b/c it's usually $1 cheaper and then mix it with egg whites to improve the texture.

I understand that eggs are a good cholesterol, but one yolk still tends to be something like 70% of my cholesterol for the day which means I have to cut out cheese for that day and I like that much more than eggs. Also, I eat eggs for the protein, and the majority of protein is located in the white part so it does have some nutritional value.

ricepapr 07-05-2010 05:56 PM

I should also mention that I do include half a yolk from time to time, but usually because of accidental breakage.

Handbags66 07-05-2010 06:04 PM

I balance by eating the occasional egg yolk. Today I mixedone in with my whites. It's a like a treat for me. I don't do it often though. Like ricepapr, I would rather save my calories for full fat cheese!

Leonor 07-05-2010 06:14 PM

I eat them :cool:

klambeth82 07-05-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetnlow28 (Post 3371450)
I usually eat one whole egg with two whites when I boil eggs. My husband gets the two extra yolks. If I am planning a dish like a fritata where I know I will waste a lot of yolks, I buy a carton of liquid egg whites and just use that. Egg fritata is my new favorite food. Its low calorie, filling and loaded with protein. I am going to post my recipe in the food section ;)

I would love to have that recipe, I love egg frittata!

beth4365 07-05-2010 07:44 PM

I use one whole egg with two additional egg whites. The extra yolks go to our dog and cat.

theresac 07-06-2010 03:23 AM

Hey, thanks for the great ideas, everyone!

Vladadog, thanks specifically for the information about cholesterol too!

I can't get Egg Beaters (or whatever) where I live, so it looks like I'll be feeding them to the cat and baking with them. I found a website that said that they can be frozen, which means that I can save them until I'm ready to use them too.

BillBlueEyes 07-06-2010 07:40 AM

I eat the whole egg, as has been previously mentioned, but I had to respond since this is my first, lifetime ever, response to someone in Cotonou, Benin! I've been to Tanzania, but Western Africa is still on my dying-to-get-there list.

zestfest 07-06-2010 08:41 AM

I eat em! There's not that many calories in a whole egg and it's so much more satisfying and yummers to eat the whole thing.

sweetnlow28 07-06-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klambeth82 (Post 3372131)
I would love to have that recipe, I love egg frittata!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/reci...ml#post3373194

:D

chnkymonkey 07-06-2010 11:54 AM

I buy both whole eggs by the dozen and egg white by the carton. Usually 2 to 3 times a week I eat the whole egg. And on other days I'll just do the egg white substitute. I personally would rather eat one egg for breakfast than to eat 1/4 cup egg white. The whites are so bland and don't offer enough protein or fat to keep me satisfied. While one whole egg is enough to keep me feeling satiated for a few hours.

flower 07-06-2010 01:39 PM

They give me TERRIBLE gas, I either toss or give to the dog. :D

kaelah 07-06-2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetnlow28 (Post 3373197)

YUM! This is definitely on my "to try" list!

Anonymia 07-09-2010 03:48 AM

It depends on the 'diet'
For me personally, I eat the whole egg. I love the yolk... Mhrm~ Yummy!

Although, I try not to rely on eating eggs every day, about once every few days. Really...

Love,
Anonymia