3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   What won't you give up? How do you make it work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/201845-what-wont-you-give-up-how-do-you-make-work.html)

WarMaiden 05-14-2010 01:20 PM

If I believe that a food or other substance (or even a behavior) threatens or compromises my physical or psychological well-being, then I am willing to look at giving it up. This means that I have given up a lot of stuff about which I once thought "I could never give that up!" Including: Sugar, honey, daily coffee, frequent servings of grains, diet soda, large servings of meat, dried fruit before lunch, bananas, baked goods including the stuff I make myself, staying up too late, sleeping in, sitting most of the day, making exercise my last priority...

You get the picture. My life may look ascetic to some, but from my perspective I am free. I do still have treats and indulgences, but I control them; they don't control me.

elisaannh 05-14-2010 02:01 PM

I don't put any food off limits. But some foods I need better control of than others. For me, chips and dip are the hardest to eat without going over board when we have cocktails at my parents. I always ask for a saucer (the kind that goes under a tea cup) and add a spoonful of dip and about 5 chips. That works well for me. The other food is a hamburger. I love hamburgers! So if I have no choice (like being served as a guest at someone's home) I cut it in half and give the other half to my husband. I do this before I even take my first bite. Lastly, in restaurants I always ask for an extra plate when I order my meal. I then put what I want to eat on the spare plate, treating the plate that they served as a serving plate. I helps me see the portion size better and from feeling like I should clean my plate.

Rebound 05-14-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elisaannh (Post 3291739)
Lastly, in restaurants I always ask for an extra plate when I order my meal. I then put what I want to eat on the spare plate, treating the plate that they served as a serving plate. I helps me see the portion size better and from feeling like I should clean my plate.

I like this idea! I've always wanted to do the thing where you ask for the doggie bag with your food and put half of it away right away -- but I always thought it was kind of embarrassing, especially when I'm eating out with people other than just the hubs. Your idea is perfect, though!

ncuneo 05-14-2010 02:40 PM

Nothing! That's what so great about calorie counting! I do it many different ways, but generally I cycle my cals so there are some days that are just naturally higher and allow for that sort of stuff if I *need* it and if I don't then more veggies it is. Then there are the occassional days I go off plan all together and I just accept that I'm going to have to pay the consequences. Consequences being I may have to lower my cals a little bit the next week or up my exercise, or do nothing and accept that I'm going to have relose a few lbs. But this is a lifelong plan for me and it is completely unrealistic for me to deny myself anything. I certainly do everything in moderation now though which is a huge change for me. And I know that I just have to be honest with myself. Like last weekend wasn't great so this weekend I have to tighten the reigns and just say NO. Most of the time though I'd say I try to make it fit, so if I know I'm going to have whatever then breakfast is going to need to be smaller or I'll have skip a snack or something. And a lot of times making other meals smaller isn't worth whatever it is that I wanted. I guess the only thing I absoluly can't go without is my morning cup of coffee w/ SF creamer ( I use A LOT of creamer ). So I just know that that 120 cals needs to fit into my day. Of course I'd better off with some more quality cals and I can do a lot with 120, but I have to have my coffee.

tea2 05-14-2010 02:40 PM

Cheese and milk. Right now I'm doing pretty well with the sweet stuff cravings, so my answer is not chocolate (today, anyway!).:D I measure out cheese pretty carefully. I drink skim milk, so it's not too bad with the calories.

Maddie89 05-14-2010 07:27 PM

Chocolate! I have cut it out so many times and FAILED! so this time I'm having a more rational approach...I take a day or two a week and work a bar of chocolate into my calorie allowence. Having something to look forward to makes a huge difference and now I feel in control of it where as before I felt like it controlled me. Now after a bar I am satisfied and happy!

fruitlady 05-14-2010 10:56 PM

There are certain foods for me that I lose control if I eat them. So I do stay away from them by not buying them at all. Natural peanut butter, marshmallows, Nutella, any kind of frozen yogurt or ice cream or marshmallow creme in a jar. I just go nuts on this stuff if it is in the house, there is no control for me. I have to keep it far away! If I really need to eat one of these foods, then I have to go buy it, eat what I want of it and throw the rest away.

fashinjunkie09 05-16-2010 11:22 AM

Regular Dr Pepper for me. I can't stand diet anything, I think it's the artificial sweeteners. But I gave Dr Pepper up for Lent and now I find it almost too sweet so when I am craving one, I usually only drink about 1/2 or less. :)

Sameen 05-16-2010 12:25 PM

that would be diet coke for me.... i actually look forward to having one everyday... it s sort of a reward for me!

Tai 05-16-2010 01:21 PM

I never gave up Splenda. I just love the stuff and probably use more of it now than I did at 272!

Twiddlebug 05-16-2010 01:29 PM

I don't know that I've actually given up anything, although I have 'altered' some things, such as 2% cheese for regular. I have tried to not give up anything, because I want to learn to control how much/what I eat. If I want something, I certainly fit it in, like my daily apple with peanut butter. Yum!

That said, I do refrain from buying certain things in the first place, like Red Vines. They are a total weakness for me...like something I could eat non-stop. But because of that, I avoided buying them before I was counting calories.

yoyoma 05-16-2010 02:29 PM

I used to not be able to give up peanut butter cups, so I used to eat an 80 calorie peanut butter cup each day. This was a good strategy for me because it helped me avoid going off-track around candy holidays. After about a year and a half, I actually got a little bored of them. I now eat two squares of chili-infused dark chocolate for 80 calories each day. The intense flavor is more satisfying than the PB cups and dark chocolate is filled with healthy flavinols.

beth4365 05-16-2010 04:07 PM

Great thread!

Hm. I've actually exchanged (as opposed to given up) a lot of foods. I'm working hard to eat whole foods and not procesed ones. I'm not perfect yet, but I'm a lot closer than I was a year or so ago.

There is something though.. a behavior... that... I actually tried to give up and then gave up on. I'm actually really embarrassed to admit this, but I love to eat something while I watch tv in bed or read there. I count it in my calories. And, yes, it's right before I go to sleep. It might be a fruit smoothy, or celery and lowfat ranch dressing. Popcorn and lowfat cranberry juice. It might be cocoa dusted almonds or even rasperries and a square of Lindt white chocolate. But, I save calories so I can have something in bed.

And, nope, I'm not giving it up! :-)

Autumn Gold 05-16-2010 10:05 PM

Things I refuse to give up:

Cheese and tomato panini
Victoria Sponge cake
BLT sandwhich
Practically any pasta dish
Chinese takeaway (I have a wholemeal rice and veg dish now. Can't give it up entirely though!)

I love carbs :o which is tragic because I always tend to lose better on protein. I only indulge in the above foods ^ very rarely. I have not had VSC or a panini for almost three months. :dizzy:

Vladadog 05-17-2010 07:35 AM

I saw up on the "what I have given up and don't miss" thread that someone gave up bacon and cheddar cheese.... two things I won't give up at all (or substitute lower fat things for). However, now I use them less frequently and as flavorings rather than main meal stars.