3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   In addition to CC... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/194868-addition-cc.html)

Shmead 02-23-2010 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronzeager (Post 3167499)
I have a really hard time keeping the fat under about 35% while still getting minimum protein, and that's eating chicken and fish, and skim milk yogurt, and hardly any red meat. I can't figure out how people do it.

Assuming you are eating skinless chicken breasts, are you using the nutritional data for skinless chicken breasts? They are only about 20% fat. Skin makes a huge difference.

silverstars 02-23-2010 11:35 AM

I am loosely following the Biggest Loser pyramid of 4 fruits/veggies, 3 protein, 2 grains, and 200 extra calories a day for whatever (oil, avocado, a treat, etc).

However, most days I just try to limit how many carbs I've had. (ie if I've had carbs for lunch and breakfast, I won't have them for dinner)

bronzeager 02-23-2010 12:57 PM

Schmead, I just went to check the entry I use and it's "Chicken breast, roasted, w/o skin", but I don't know how to check the nutrition for individual entries to see what they have for fat.

I should work it out on Sparkpeople one day and figure out the individual breakdown. I cross-check every once in a while because I don't actually know what database LoseIt uses, and sometimes Sparkpeople is more detailed about say, calories in a 6" vs. 8" tortilla.

It's probably the little bits of olive oil or cheese or nuts. It's hard to get non-fat here, so I use lowfat, and measure carefully, but even a teaspoon of olive oil is going to be 5g of fat, and 1 oz of lowfat gouda is probably still half fat, so there you are with 14g. But I would go crazy if I didn't have those little bits. Most of my family would already think I'm deranged if they knew I counted out precisely 15 peanuts for on top of my yogurt twice a week. Six &%^*# calories per nut! And each of them a little fat bomb. Sigh...

jigglefree 02-23-2010 01:40 PM

I track calories and salt. I was tracking salt before I changed my eating so it's apart of me. Calorie counting is all I look at otherwise.

susieyarb 02-23-2010 01:44 PM

I've just been focusing at calorie counting and like Jiggle Free I try to keep my sodium low (no added salt).

I've tried the no carb/low carb and fat free thing before and here I am again. I always felt so deprived. So I'm just focusing on calories right now. Healthy food, not junk and very little processed food.

I'm having to get over those old recordings in my brain when I look at the fat in avacados or nuts!

PeanutsMom704 02-23-2010 02:09 PM

I use Fitday so it gives me my breakdown of fat, carbs and protein. I tend to run a little bit high on fat (up to the low 30s as a percent) because I have avocado and nuts most days, which are high fat but it's healthy fat. Protein ends up between 25 and 30, and carbs are usually around 45.

I don't specifically try to tweak it, but I do try to make healthy choices overall, and not just strictly calories. I feel better and more satisfied with what I eat when I try to eat less processed foods.

Blairsey 02-23-2010 05:33 PM

I, myself, use Fitday, so everything is tracked for me and so any insufficiency or extreme excesses are easy to see. I'm trying to stay balanced...getting enough calcium, protein, and fiber. It's actually a lot easier for me to stay well within my calories by trying to be wise with my fats and carbs, as those are the foods that are easy for me to over-eat and high in calories anyway. I'm definitely not talking about the low-fat of the 1990's, nor am I anywhere close to low-carb. I'm more of a healthy fat and healthy carb calorie counter. :smug:

souvenirdarling 02-23-2010 06:09 PM

I calorie count. I aim to restrict my carbohydrate intake, but I don't actually count grams. I *do* try to reach a goal level of protein, though. I've been most successful at losing and maintaining weight when eating significantly more lean proteins.

I noticed that eating certain processed carbohydrates were a major contributor to my weight gain: the more I ate, the hungrier I became; I always craved more. I would eat a whole box of spaghetti in one sitting.

Karen925 02-23-2010 06:12 PM

I just track calories, however, from my days with SB, I tend to eat whole carbs and good fats sparsely because that is where the calories are. I also drink plenty of water from my WW days.

I guess I am like a hermit crab with bits and pieces of eating behaviors stuck to me. The one thing missing in all of that was calorie counting which I am learning this time around.

Blairsey 02-23-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen925 (Post 3168883)
from my days with SB, I tend to eat whole carbs and good fats sparsely because that is where the calories are. I also drink plenty of water from my WW days.

I guess I am like a hermit crab with bits and pieces of eating behaviors stuck to me. The one thing missing in all of that was calorie counting which I am learning this time around.

I could have written this exact post about myself.