3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   steak dinner (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/192727-steak-dinner.html)

mysticshaz 01-30-2010 12:48 PM

steak dinner

so have decided i really fancied steak for dinner tonight but i was wondering if anyone had a nice healthy receipe ideas? as i would usually have chips and blue cheese etc etc

thanks guys

three herring 01-31-2010 05:41 AM

We are going to a steakhouse restaurant tonight. I looked up the menu items and made sure the calories will fit into my calorie budget. I chose a small 6 oz sirloin steak, the caeser salad and broccoli (skipping the potatoes and rolls) for 620 calories. That's higher than my usual dinner, but I have adjusted the rest of my meals to include it.

With a high calorie meat, I usually stick to salads and veggies with it. I liked grilled meat the most, but if you don't have a grill, a pan sear can be done (high heat and a drizzle of olive oil) and you can add mushrooms, onion, peppers and garlic if that is what you like.

bensempress 02-01-2010 02:38 AM

I actually made a steak dinner for my family and I tonight for 450 calories for the entire meal which includes a rice dish, stuffed steak and a salad tossed in a lemon vinegrette. Serves 3:

STEAK:
3 2oz slices of very thin sliced flank/london broil (Sliced thin and long, to roll up)
1/8 cup non fat mozerella cheese, shredded
4 tsp parmesan cheese, grated
4 white mushrooms
1 cup fresh, raw spinach
1/2 Tbsp margarine (I use Smart Balance Light, 50 Cal per Tbsp)
1 clove garlic
1 piece whole wheat bread (I usw orowheat double fiber, 70 calories per slice)

Bake bread in oven at 500 degrees for about 15 minutes, use inner part by crumbling into a small frying/sauce pan. Add chopped mushrooms, cheeses, chopped fresh spinach, margarine and chopped garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes, until margarine melts and spinach slightly welts.

Place egual parts of mixture onto 3 slices of beef, then roll until the mixture is tucked into the beef. Place into a pan and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

SIDE:
3/4 cup brown rice
1 1/2 cups water
2 tomatoes, chopped with juice (or canned if need be, look for no salt added)
2 cups frozen brocolli pieces (or chop fresh brocolli yourslf)
Basil to taste, fresh, frozen or dried (I use fresh basil that I freeze so I can easily crumble it into the tomatoes)
1 clove Garlic, chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper, color of choice
1 Tsp black pepper

Throw all the ingredients into your rice cooker and let it ride! If you don't have a rice cooker use a pot and let it cook about 45-50 minutes.

SALAD:
6 cups of any greens you like tossed with the following dressing:
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
2 Tsp fresh lemon juice
basil to taste
oregano to taste

It's easiest to prep everything first, then go from there. I'd say it took about 20 minutes to cut the veggies ad prep everything, then I leisurely cooked everything in timing for when we wanted to eat. The guys LOVED this and it really did a good job of filling us up!

I love how the stuffed steak, although only 2 ounces, was such a nice big helping due to the stuffing... not to mention the thing just exploded with flavor, lol

I also love how meals like this make me feel GREAT about being a foodie, one that can probably survive this fiasco of loserdom and maybe even be HAPPY in the world of maintenance?

lol... I coud could go on but I've hijacked enough :)

Beverlyjoy 02-02-2010 03:39 PM

Have a salad with steak strips on it. Dressing on the side.

SouthLake 02-02-2010 06:39 PM

Oooh we have a really tasty one that we stole from Cook Yourself Thin- it's basically a flank steak rubbed with rosemary and sea salt (I add marjoram and thyme as well) and grilled on a grill pan, then toped with a balsamic sauce made by deglazing the pan. The recipe is right here:

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/cook...ashed-potatoes

They also serve it with mashed cauliflower potatoes, though it's also good with just mashed cauliflower (the secret to goo mashed cauli is making sure to overcook the cauli so it gets mushy, and adding a little sour cream in the mashing process to give them a creamy potato ish texture)

We've tried a couple of their recipes and everything has been really good so far.. though we love the steak. It's a once a week or so dish.

MotoMichelle 02-04-2010 10:26 AM

Sirloin is a great lean cut and what we eat. I just season it with dry rubs and grill on the grill pan. Yum!

Lori Bell 02-04-2010 11:57 AM

Like Michelle I usually go for Sirloin, or sometimes the strip side of a T-bone, because they are much lower fat than a rib steak or fillet. Dry rub and grilled. (4 oz is around 240 calories). I like it with a plain medium baked potato topped with salsa, (100 calories). And a huge leafy salad with lots of crunchy veggies and a low calorie Raspberry Vinegarette dressing (100 calories). 440 calories for the whole thing and sometimes I grill mushrooms seasoned with a little soy sauce along side of the steak. (pretty much 10 calories for a big serving).

Palestrina 02-04-2010 02:42 PM

Steak dinners can be healthy, especially if you only have them once in a while. It's important to remember that all foods can be included in our diet in moderation.

For lean steak nothing beats sirloin. It's low in fat yet still soft enough to be eaten as steak. Load up on veggies and go easy on the carbs for your side items. And most importantly, enjoy it! Top off when a tbsp of blue cheese and don't feel guilty. Walk an extra lap tomorrow - that's how naturally healthy people live.... if they overindulge one day they compensate the next day.