3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   Walden Farms no calorie products (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/191921-walden-farms-no-calorie-products.html)

jkinboston89 01-23-2010 01:56 PM

Walden Farms no calorie products

Today, while I was in the supermarket, I noticed some items that claim to be calorie free. It's by a company called Walden Farms and they have so many things from salad dressing to BBQ sauce, to chocolate and pancake syrup to jam. Normally, I wouldn't go for stuff like this, and I tend to take a more whole foods approach to my food, but I just couldn't resist. I got the honey dijon salad dressing and the thick and spicy BBQ sauce.
The dressing claims to be calorie free, sugar free, fat free, carb free, gluten free, cholesterol free, and it has no preservatives.
I was starting to think... ok, so what DOES it have?
The only thing I could find is sodium, the dressing has 270 mg/2 tbs, and the BBQ sauce has 210 mg/2 tbsp. That's not really a killer or anything, for me at least.

So I guess the question is: How bad is this stuff? I looked for the high fructose corn syrup and all that stuff but there's nothing. Is it any good? I haven't tried it yet, I'm kinda scared lol :o

Has anyone tried it or heard anything about it??

QuilterInVA 01-23-2010 02:08 PM

I love their cole slaw dressing. And the dips for fruit. Haven't tried anything else because they are hard to find around here.

PeanutsMom704 01-23-2010 02:41 PM

I just bought their calorie free Sweet Onion dressing but I haven't tried it yet. It does seem a bit chemically but I figured I'd give it a try. I have a big salad every day and I use a lot of dressing on it (about 100 calories worth of Kraft Light Catalina usually), so it would be nice to find a zero/very low cal one that I liked and could use at least sometimes.

dolphinea 01-23-2010 03:47 PM

I've been using their dressings for a couple of years. They are a little runny, but the flavors are great. I particularly like their honey mustard and caeser dressings. My parents tried their chocolate sauce and said it was bad - they recommended just sticking to the dressings.

bacilli 01-23-2010 05:58 PM

The peanut butter is the 2nd most disgusting thing I've ever eaten. Ick. Not fit for human consumption, imo.

AmandaMary 01-23-2010 06:13 PM

Oh wow. I'm gonna have to try the chocolate even tho dolphinea said it was bad. Its calorie free chocolate LOL.

nelie 01-23-2010 06:16 PM

Its absolutely disgusting stuff, tastes like a mouthful of chemicals. I highly recommend you stay far away.

Beverlyjoy 01-23-2010 07:18 PM

I tried the chocolate sauce/dip and marshmellow stuff at a party. I didn't like them. :p

WardHog 01-23-2010 07:46 PM

I concur. The chocolate is disgusting.

AmandaMary 01-23-2010 08:23 PM

OK so I didn't listen. The first thing I did after reading the post was go to the store. The Chocolate fruit dip is disgusting....

honeybjones 01-23-2010 09:53 PM

What a coincidence--I just picked up the ranch salad dressing today. I saved my receipt in case I don't like it but I am very optimistic. Hopefully it is not too good to be true.

kaplods 01-23-2010 10:01 PM

I've only tried a couple of their products so long ago, I don't even remember what I tried (maybe I'm blocking out the traumatic memory). I think it was the chocolate sauce or maybe it was caramel and a salad dressing, and they were so horrible that I threw them out and still cringe whenever I see the Walden Farms label.

I remember wiping off my tongue, they were so bad.

nelie 01-24-2010 09:34 AM

Yeah, seriously, spend the few calories to get something that tastes decent :)

As for dressings, I do have 2 low calorie recommendations that are awesome. TonTon ginger dressing is 10 calories per TBSP and has even won awards. If you've ever had a salad at a Japanese restaurant, it tastes just like that. TonTon has other dressings but I've never had them before
http://www.tontonsauce.com/sauces_ginger.cfm

Galeo's Miso Wasabi dressing is fabulous and 14 calories per TBSP. I think I could drink the bottle it is so good. They have other dressings as well but again I haven't tried them:
http://www.galeoscafe.com/wasabi.html

I've seen the dressings at various stores but Whole Foods has both of them. They are real foods, not chemicals.

hpnodat 01-24-2010 07:49 PM

I bought the walden farms bbq sauce and it was horrible. I gave a piece of the chicken I made with the sauce on it to the dog and she wouldn't even eat it. So you know it had to be bad.

It tastes very much like a jarful of chemicals.

NightAngel26 01-24-2010 07:58 PM

lol I haven't tried the stuff but heard a lot of bad things about it... however, for low cal, there's a product called laughing cow/skinny cow and I recommend any of the desserts..I have the mint ice cream cones with chocolate tops (150 cals), not bad on the ingredients either but i couldn't pull em up just this moment...mainly they deal in dairy.