Old 01-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default How Much Water?

I've always heard drink 1/2 your body weight but not less than 100 oz of water a day? I've been doing this and it makes a difference, but I'm really having to work pretty hard to get 100 oz. Any rule of thumb?
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I've heard the "half your weight (in lbs) in ounces" rule, too.

Then there's the old 64 ounces a day rule (8 cups) that I've heard since I was a kid.

Lately there have been lots of studies saying that if you drink when you feel like drinking, you'll naturally end up drinking enough. That drinking lots of extra water doesn't really do anything substantial for your health. I've found them pretty convincing.

That said, drinking water keeps your stomach feeling full and gives your mouth something to do, so it takes some focus off of food. Also, drinking a lot helps even out some of the fluctuations in weight that we see due to water retention. And weight loss plans usually come with other reasons to drink more water - to deal with increased fiber intake, to rehydrate after exercise, and to make up for getting less water from your food (since you're eating less).

Generally I drink a little over 1 liter (about 34 ounces) of actual water, and some coffee, tea, and diet soda that I don't measure.

Last edited by mayness; 01-15-2010 at 11:43 AM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6"

I find when I drink water out of a clear, 1L bottle, I drink more. Because it's clear, I think, oh well come on, let's get my 3-4L in faster, so I try to drink it faster (I don't drink it THAT fast, but you know what I mean...) I hear that Crystal Light is good to have at maximum, twice a day, and so I have it once a day, and find in a 1L bottle, the flavour is not too sweet, and not too watery, so I make sure I drink 2L before I drink my crystal light litre, because that way, I can be like oh well, almost time for my 'juice water' (that's what I call it, because I love juice and it tastes just like it!)
missyRxOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

You might find this helpful:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 203/193/155

Water, or unsweetened cold tea, is my diet miracle. Not only does running for the potty totally count as exercise, but it helps the weight come off, I find, and when I have that "My tummy is full but my mouth is still hungry" sensation, water or cold unsweet tea is my go-to cure. I try to get in about a liter and a half a day, combination of cold green tea with no sweetener, cold spiced herb tea, and water. I do sometimes pound down the last cup right before bed.
The only drinks I want at this point are clear water, coffee, unsweet tea or unsweet herbal tea, or hard liquor. The last one has lots of vitamins and stuff.

Oh - but don't drink the tea after you brush your teeth. Makes 'em icky.
Learned that the hard way. Jeez - scolded by the dentist for tea.
thundahthighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #6  

I love drinking lots of water... I remember when my mom told me once, 'when you pee, you lose weight' so every time I'm running to the washroom from all the water, i think to myself, 'THERE GOES ANOTHER POUND!' (obviously not true, but it makes me feel better haha
Old 01-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #7  
Ready for Change

S/C/G: 216.6 / 208.2 / 116

Height: 5'1

I aim for 64oz... which for me is 4 bottles of water. I try to drink a bottle during every meal and then the last bottle with my snacks.
SNMomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyRxOx View Post
I love drinking lots of water... I remember when my mom told me once, 'when you pee, you lose weight' so every time I'm running to the washroom from all the water, i think to myself, 'THERE GOES ANOTHER POUND!' (obviously not true, but it makes me feel better haha
lol, I think the same thing!! I have a big cup on my desk at work, so I make sure to have at least 2 of those, but it's usually 3, plus more at home.

On weekends, I use my son's fridge magnets and just put one in a certain place on the fridge each time I have a glass of water, and make sure I've had my minimum every day. I have a minimum of 80 oz, but probably go over 100 most days. Luckily, I love drinking water!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyRxOx View Post
I find when I drink water out of a clear, 1L bottle, I drink more.
YES! I was using my sigg bottle but hated not being able to see how much was left. Now I'm using a 800 ml gatorage bottle and drinking 5 or 6 of those a day! I love being able to see how much is left.
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:36 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post
YES! I was using my sigg bottle but hated not being able to see how much was left. Now I'm using a 800 ml gatorage bottle and drinking 5 or 6 of those a day! I love being able to see how much is left.
when i heard you say sigg bottle, i'm like, she must live from around here! haha another fellow british columbian! i don't know why i thought that when i saw 'sigg bottle', but it could be from all our recalls on plastic and whatnot!!
Old 01-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #11  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

I use to aim for the 64 ounces a day when I first started this journey, but I was still thirsty. I now drink nearly a gallon of crystal light a day. I feel so much better now and my weight loss and lab results have improved too.

Missy - "They" say lots of things. I have talked to the docs about crystal light because I HATE water. I have been told by 4 docs, a nurse, and 2 nutritionists that crystal light is fine for anyone whose system is not overly sensitive to artificial sweeteners. One of the docs only drinks crystal light herself - no plain water. I mostly use the wal-mart brand which is 0 calorie instead of 5. I see no reason to force myself to consume something I don't like when the docs tell me that there is something I do like that is just as good.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #12  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

wow! that is a lot of water! I drink 2L a day (about 64oz) and I think that is plenty. If I had to follow the "half your weight (in lbs) in ounces" rule I would be in big trouble, that is just too much water.
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitGirlyGirl View Post
I use to aim for the 64 ounces a day when I first started this journey, but I was still thirsty. I now drink nearly a gallon of crystal light a day. I feel so much better now and my weight loss and lab results have improved too.

Missy - "They" say lots of things. I have talked to the docs about crystal light because I HATE water. I have been told by 4 docs, a nurse, and 2 nutritionists that crystal light is fine for anyone whose system is not overly sensitive to artificial sweeteners. One of the docs only drinks crystal light herself - no plain water. I mostly use the wal-mart brand which is 0 calorie instead of 5. I see no reason to force myself to consume something I don't like when the docs tell me that there is something I do like that is just as good.
really??? ahhh thank you! now I can drink more crystal light!
when i go to the gym i only stick to regular water, and i can drink for sure 2L of plain water.. but sometimes you get bored and NEED the crystal light!!
Old 01-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/---/148

I try to drink between 1.5L - 2L a day. Before I started, I barely drank water...and it wasn't coming off. Since I started, it has been coming off so nicely!
loquaciousjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #15  

Height: 5'7

Usually two or three bottles a day for me sometimes more. I normally get in around 2 bottles just when i work out. The rest of the day i drink 1-2 more.
eilla05 is offline   Reply With Quote