3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   Anyone buy quarts of yogurt? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/184626-anyone-buy-quarts-yogurt.html)

natamars 10-20-2009 08:07 AM

Anyone buy quarts of yogurt?

I prefer to buy plain yogurt by the quart, and sweeten it myself with honey. My serving size is 1 cup, which is between 100-130 calories depending on the brand. But each quart should have 4 cups, and I'm only getting a little over 3. It must have to do with liquid, settling, whatever - but bottom line, if it's supposed to be 4 servings at 100 calories each and I'm only getting 3, it's really 133 calories not 100.

Anyone else notice this?

Primm 10-20-2009 08:32 AM

I weigh mine, and I get 5 x 200g serves out of a 1kg container. I've never measured it to see what the volume is though.

shan84 10-20-2009 09:10 AM

Sorry, I don't buy mine by the quart. But I do just want to throw this out there. Here in South Korea yoplait markets and sells 70calorie yogurt in both kiwi flavor and strawberry flavor.

JayEll 10-20-2009 09:12 AM

I'd check what kind of measuring cup you're using, and I'd also suggest that you weigh your portions to see exactly how many ounces there are.

Jay

Thighs Be Gone 10-20-2009 09:16 AM

natamars? are you pouring the water off the top? If so, that is where the extra is going and yes, the calories do go up if you don't stir the water back in.

I eat nonfat plain and Greek style. It is 70 calories for 4 ounces. I always put berries or something in it but have gotten away from putting sweetner (honey, or whatever) on top. I cannot believe I ever liked the fruit flavored yogurts! Until last year the sweet, fruit flavors is all I would ever eat.

dedicateddog 10-20-2009 09:21 AM

I read the first 2 sentences and was so excited about this quart of yogurt idea, lol. Then the next 2 convinced me otherwise, LOL. :D

HeaterAS 10-20-2009 11:39 AM

I buy a quart for my son every week because he eats yogurt like it's going out of style and it's so much cheaper. I dont' do it for myself though because I like the convenience of looking at the packaging of the single serving and taking it for face value lol

JulieJ08 10-20-2009 12:01 PM

I buy 2 cup cartons, just because they don't have Trader Joe Greek yogurt in the quarts. But I usually have two in my fridge :). And yes, when I was measuring out 1/2 cups, I never got a full 4 half cup servings out of it. But I also poured off the liquid, because I was going for thick.

cassieroll 10-25-2009 02:17 AM

I also buy plain nonfat yogurt by the quart. I sometimes mix it with fruit but usually just eat it plain.

judipurple 10-25-2009 09:08 AM

Between the dog, the kids and myself, we were going through more than 1.5 quarts of yogurt a week. I started making my own, using nonfat milk, and save $$$. You can use either fresh yogurt to start it, or buy powdered starter at natural foods stores. There is plenty of info online on how to make homemade yogurt, and i think the whole foods and food talk threads here on 3FC had some info as well. Just do a search - it isn't that difficult, and it is easy even to make greek-style - just strain regular yogurt through a coffee filter for a few hours, and it thickens up nicely!