Old 09-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #1  
Nutrisystem

S/C/G: 191/191/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Question Recipe Servings

Hello,
I am new with calorie counting. No matter what diet you are on, the heart of dieting to lose weight is still calories in and calories out. I learned this the hard way for to many years. I have even made my own diet journal.

Here is my question. I was looking at the recipes on this group. They look wonderful. Portions we are told are very important with the way we eat. Especially for me being a Type 2 diabetic or even if you just want to loose the weight. Almost none of the recipes show serving sizes. I don't like having to divide in to 4 plates for example. I love to know if calories are 300 is that for a cup full, 6 oz or whatever. Could someone give me some insight on this.

Thank you so much,
Melanie in Colorado
Melsie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:51 PM   #2  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

I always use a scale. I weigh the whole recipe and figure out what a fourth, sixth, eighth would weigh and use that. I've become scale obsessed, I think.
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

What I do is usually make recipes to serve four. My husband and I are the only ones who really eat my "diety food", so I'll portion off our meals onto 2 plates, and immediately put the other two portions into a tupperware or rubbermaid container and label it with the date, calories and what it is. Then I'll refrigerate or freeze the leftovers. This gives me a quick, healthy portioned lunch later in the week or a frozen meal for a later date. I know this isn't exactly what you're asking for, but this is how I deal with portions. Also, it helps me to immediately divide it into 4 portions so I'm not tempted to go for seconds, and also I can visually see what the portion is supposed to be.
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote