3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   Difficult to get enough healthy calories (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/173567-difficult-get-enough-healthy-calories.html)

Thyme 06-06-2009 09:00 AM

Difficult to get enough healthy calories

I'm finding it difficult to get enough healthy calories each day - obviously if I were to have lots of fatty and sugary foods this wouldn't be a problem, but that doesn't seem constructive!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

bacilli 06-06-2009 09:09 AM

Are you snacking? How many calories are you trying to add?

I'd try adding some nut butter, hummus, cheese wedges, etc. Something small that contains good fats. I spread a bit of almond butter on carrot sticks, or eat veggies with horseradish hummus when my calories are a bit low for the day. Or drink a glass of soy milk.

Thyme 06-06-2009 09:34 AM

Those are great suggestions, I have a mental block on nut butters and cheese as in large quantities I consider them bad, but of course they make great things to have as little snacks. Thanks :D

rockinrobin 06-06-2009 09:37 AM

Well, what is it exactly that you're eating? Can you give us a typical day so that we know what you are eating and aren't repetitive?

In the meantime, till you get back to us, as far as healthy calories - proteins and fiber - fruits and veggies.

Chicken, fish, eggs, turkey, soy products.

Soups, chillis, stews.

Fruits - apples, berries, melons, pears, oranges, etc.

Salads - baby spinach, greens, mango, chickpeas, avocado, turkey and chicken breast - the combinations are endless.

Veggies - butternut squash, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, zucchini, broccoli, sugar snap peas, and on and on.

HEalthy grains - quinoa, oatmeal, whole grain breads

Nuts - almonds, pistachios, walnuts, pecans - thrown into salads and in chicken dishes.

Beans and lentils.

There is no end to the list of healthy foods. And each one of them is full of calories.

JayEll 06-06-2009 09:39 AM

Look--you can eat larger portions of healthy foods! Like chicken, fish, whole grains like brown rice, whole grain bread, starchy vegetables, etc. :yes:

Jay

Thighs Be Gone 06-06-2009 09:42 AM

Sockeye Salmon and avacado, raw almonds too...these are all staples in my daily diet

SarahMorgan 06-06-2009 09:44 AM

I have the same problem and have posted about it! I really have a very hard time getting enough calories. Most days I end up about 100-200 under my goal of 1500 and that can't be good. The problem is I am NOT hungry! I am stuffing my face all day it seems. Before I only ate twice a day and had about 2000 extra calories. LOL So eating 6 times a day is extremely hard to do.

kim83 06-06-2009 11:36 AM

add more snacks. I eat about every 2 hours. Just so that I don't get hungry and then want to eat everything in sight.

CountingDown 06-06-2009 12:32 PM

Add more healthy fats and proteins, in addition to the suggestions above:
LF string cheese
Avocado
Trail mix
Olive oil on a salad, to stir fry your veggies, in a sauce or dressing
Hard-boiled egg
Cottage cheese
Yogurt

Thyme 06-06-2009 06:07 PM

Wow, you've all really opened my eyes. For some reason even though I know the items you've all listed are healthy, if they weren't often in my diet before I forget about them as an option.

prinny 06-06-2009 11:20 PM

Avacados, peanut butter (PB2 is good if you want to keep the fat down), and low fat cheese like laughing cow, jarlsberg and alpine lace.

megwini 06-08-2009 08:43 AM

I find corn quite high calorie compared with other vegetables. I got a big surprise when I stuffed my face with corn and discovered I ended up eating 320 calories worth of corn! It's like 80 calories per half cup. So if you like corn, that could be a good addition in larger quantities to get your calories up as well.

newleaf123 06-08-2009 09:36 AM

Here are two things that I frequently turn to if the end of the day is near and I haven't eaten enough:

-- frozen peas. A minute or less in the microwave and they're good to go

-- banana concoction: I take a small amount (like 1/2 tbs) of almond butter, put it on a plate, microwave for 30 seconds to soften it. Slice a banana on top, and then drizzle on a small amount of honey. With a small banana, this comes out to about 135 - 150 calories. And it is heavenly and healthy.

JayEll 06-08-2009 01:21 PM

<---Wants banana concoction... :drool:

bacilli 06-08-2009 08:14 PM

<--- Will make a banana concoction this evening!