Old 04-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #1  
Coloradomom

S/C/G: 147/142/135

Height: 5'4"

Default How long did it take you to lose those first few pounds?

So, today is weigh in day, although I do step on the scale every day, but today has been the first week. I was hoping to have lost some weight, but I'm exactly the same. How long did it take you who have lost to start losing? I have been even good at staying under 1,400 calories a day. I guess I didn't gain it in a week, so I will see what next Sunday's weigh in brings.
frustrated mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #2  

Height: 5'11"

Everyone's body is different. I did lose the first week but I had been eating HORRIBLY before I started cutting back. I didn't actually count calories for the first month, just tried to quit eating junk.

Remember that sodium intake can also hide a weight loss. Try not to be discouraged; sounds like you're doing great. Is 1400 enough? I don't know how much you weigh or how tall you are, but that sounds pretty low. I'd be hungry on that, but I could be a lot bigger than you.

Hang in there!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

You usually see a pretty good change in the first week. If you don't, then chances are your diet is not right for you, and things need to change.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 6

I agree with Kelly. Usually the first week is one of the best weeks as far as losses go. I lost 3-4 pounds the first week. What plan are you following? Post a typical days menu and we can help!!!
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Sometimes weighing weekly can hide your losses for a week or two. I sometimes lose midweek, then fluctuate back up, then lose again. If you weigh one week on a low fluctuation, and the following week on a high fluctuation, you may look like you haven't lost or even like you've gained. But by two or three weeks, the loss will show up on the scale.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #6  
I aim to misbehave

S/C/G: 225/tick/175

Height: 5'8"

For me, it took about two weeks before I saw any change in the scale. It was really frustrating at first--but then I really started to drop in weeks three and four. I would keep up what you are currently doing for another week or two. If you don't see any change at that point, then consider some changes.
Riverite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #7  
Coloradomom

Here is some info, so hopefully I can get some feedback.
I'm 36
Weighed 143.6 last Sunday, and the same today, but last week, before I started counting I was weighing around 146, and 2 days ago, the scale said 142, so maybe I have lost 2-3lbs, but just today it says the same as the day that I started.
I'm 5'4", and I've been eating 1,200-1,400 a day
My average day I eat:
Breakfast:
70 calorie whole grain waffle
1 piece of fruit
OR
3/4 cup of cooked oatmeal w/ 1/4cup blueberries (102 calories)
Then a mid morning snack:
Usually a 100 calorie protein bar from Quixtar (old Amway)
Lunch: around (250)
Usually chicken w/ vegetables (zucchini, gold peppers)
OR
chicken in a salad
Afternoon snack:
100 calorie popcorn bag
Supper: If I didn't have veggies with lunch, then I have them with supper
Last night made a beef enchilada with 500 calories
Other night wheat spahetti with shrimp around 500 calories
Other night pecan crusted chicken with broiled mango
If I have leftover calories in the evening, then I might have one cookie that is 90 calories
I try to eat 1 fruit a day and have 2 servings of veggies. I drink water, and have an energy drink that is only 8 calories with my morning snack.
Any advise will be great.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 201/175/135

Height: 5'6

Frustrated mom,

I think staying within that calorie range is great. but from looking at your menu, I would HIGHLY recommend adding more fruits and veg. maybe instead of popcorn as a snack you have a bit of peanut butter and apple or hummus and some carrots or some almonds. Also, how often are you working out and what are you doing to work out? I'm a subsrciber to Jillian michaels website( from Biggest Loser) and if you tell me is your job is sedatary(a secratary), moderate or active I can find out what she would suggest as your calorie intake. How much water DO you drink? I would shoot for, at least, 60+ ounces a day. I know it's frustrating but I'm hoping I can help a bit. let me know
Kate
sassypants01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #9  
Coloradomom

My husband and I own a motel, so right now I am moderate exercise of walking, cleaning occasionally, and we do a lot of outside work. We are cutting and picking up trees lately. From May to November I get a lot of exercise of just walking and carrying dirty laundry and bending to fold laundry. I was working out, but haven't been doing any extra workouts, because I injured my knee, then my shoulder, so I kinda stopped because I felt like I was falling apart. I probably drink around 6-8 8oz glasses of water a day. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 201/175/135

Height: 5'6

Frustrated mom,

OK, According to her website you should be eating 1484 calories a day. I know you're injured but how about swimming? Do you have access to a pool? An Elliptical would also work. It has almost no stress on your knees. You may also want to incorporate some light weights al well. Work up the pounds when you can. I also think you should only weigh once a week. For Real!! Don't even get near the scale! Try to pick the same day at the same time of day. I think if you can do that it'll keep you from being discouraged. I hope this helps!!
sassypants01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

In my experience, I lost 6 lbs in the first week. However most of it was water weight, I'm sure, and that was the largest drop I ever had all at once in a week. It really depends on the person- some people will take a little longer to show the loss. Just keep with your plan and most likely, you'll see a drop soon.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #12  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Okay, if I am reading your last post right, around 2 weeks ago you weighed 146 and 2 days ago you weighed 142 in my experience that equals 4 pounds lost in 2 weeks. Which equals 2 pounds a week which is GREAT considering you are technically within a "normal" BMI of 24.4 at 5'4" and 142.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

If you're using one of the "Taylor" brand digital scales, I have one, and it's really frustratingly inaccurate. I saw a lot of reviews on Amazon.com that say the same thing. Taylor scales have a "memory" of a few minutes, so that if you get right back on to confirm a number, it'll give you the same number... but only because of the "memory", not because it's actually reweighing you. I've weighed myself in, gotten one number, waited 5 minutes or so (without changing anything), and gotten another number 3-4 pounds off!! Booooo!

So yeah, something to keep in mind with these things. Also, eating more sodium than usual will cause you to instantly retain more "water weight", so that could also be causing the 2-pound change from a few days ago to today.
jajabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #14  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Sometimes weighing weekly can hide your losses for a week or two. I sometimes lose midweek, then fluctuate back up, then lose again. If you weigh one week on a low fluctuation, and the following week on a high fluctuation, you may look like you haven't lost or even like you've gained.
This is what I was thinking.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 194/178/145

Height: 5'8"

I lost 8 pounds the first week (water weight, I'm sure) and 3 pounds the second week. When I'm on plan, I lose two to three weeks most weeks.
grammargirl20 is offline   Reply With Quote