Old 03-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/181/155

Height: 5'6.5"

Default "Hunger" feeling even though you ate

This has been happening to me fairly often. I eat a meal and then I get "hunger" sensations. Weird stomach feeling which goes to your head. The thing is I shouldn't be hungry. My brain is saying "There's no way I'm hungry" but then my stomach is saying something else. I'm wondering if it's something else but I'm mistaking it for hunger. I don't normally eat something else if I've already eaten. Still, I wonder why I'm feeling this way.
FaithBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I get that when I haven't had enough protein. If I have a salad for lunch with just vegetables I still feel hungry, if I add in a protein then that same salad fills me up.
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Sugar and quickly digest carbs do this to me all the time. Before I learned to control my blood sugar with lower carb and lower GI eating, I felt "hungry" nearly 24/7, or so it seemed. Even as a kid, my stomach could hurt from eating too much, and I'd still feel starved, for most of my life, I thought I was crazy.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jademarlene View Post
I get that when I haven't had enough protein. If I have a salad for lunch with just vegetables I still feel hungry, if I add in a protein then that same salad fills me up.
I don't think it's that. I was looking at my proteing intake on TDP and I've been eating too much protein. I really gotta work on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Sugar and quickly digest carbs do this to me all the time. Before I learned to control my blood sugar with lower carb and lower GI eating, I felt "hungry" nearly 24/7, or so it seemed. Even as a kid, my stomach could hurt from eating too much, and I'd still feel starved, for most of my life, I thought I was crazy.
I have the feeling now. My dinner consisted of sweet corn, green beans and chicken. I think the corn and the green beans are both carbs.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:15 PM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Is there diabetes or hypoglycemia in your family? It could be a function of that. Also, how quickly did you eat and how soon are you experiencing the hunger effect afterward?

I too have this problem, and have found the best way to battle it is to first eat protein, then the veggies and complex carbs. Always eat a balanced meal, 50% veggies. Eat slowly, giving yourself a good half hour to eat everything. And try to break up meals into four to five meals a day. If I let my blood sugar drop too much by not eating for five hours or more, then I tend to overeat. I can't control my appetite if I'm hypoglycemic.

Georgia
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:28 PM   #6  

My father was a diabetic and my grandmother was hypoglycemic in the later part of her life.

I ate dinner around 9 pm. It's 11:30 now and I still have this feeling. It's actually gotten worse. I'm wondering if it's heart burn because now it's going up to the right side of my chest. I do have acid reclux and my stomach was bothering me earlier.

ETA: I just burped (hope that's not TMI) and the gnawing hunger feeling went away but I still have that pain on the right side of my chest. I recognize this pain. It's definitely acid reflux. That's weird. It doesn't seem like I ate anything that would give me acid reflux. I guess it's time to get some Prilosec.

Last edited by FaithBW; 03-01-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:01 AM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

So, have you been tested for diabetes? You may be pre-diabetic.

I didn't know there was diabetes in my family until after I was diagnosed, but I'd always experienced the hunger after eating, no matter what weight I was at. With more meal management, as well as well-timed exercise, I have been able to manage the hunger. For me, it's a matter of managing the insulin levels around meal times. But it took a lot of research and reading and trying different things before I got it all figured out for myself.

And despite all my knowledge, I still ate egg noodles with my steak dinner tonight, plus a carrot cake for dessert, and just three hours later, my stomach is full but I still "feel" hunger. It was a risk I took. I'm drinking extra water now and going to bed!

Best of luck with finding your solution. Let us know how it goes.

Georgia
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 203/203/160

Height: 5'11"

I often confuse heartburn with hunger...silly I know. My friend says it is my body trying to ease the acid with more food to work on. When it comes to the tummy my body is always asking for more.
shymeggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

I often continue to feel hungry if my meal has not been balanced - I think it is my body's way of telling me it is missing something. In the case of your chicken, corn, green beans, maybe your body was still craving a bit of a healthy fat?
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
So, have you been tested for diabetes? You may be pre-diabetic.

I didn't know there was diabetes in my family until after I was diagnosed, but I'd always experienced the hunger after eating, no matter what weight I was at. With more meal management, as well as well-timed exercise, I have been able to manage the hunger. For me, it's a matter of managing the insulin levels around meal times. But it took a lot of research and reading and trying different things before I got it all figured out for myself.

And despite all my knowledge, I still ate egg noodles with my steak dinner tonight, plus a carrot cake for dessert, and just three hours later, my stomach is full but I still "feel" hunger. It was a risk I took. I'm drinking extra water now and going to bed!

Best of luck with finding your solution. Let us know how it goes.

Georgia
My old doctor tested me my blood sugar about a year because I thought I had diabetes because my toes would get numb when I walked for a long time or worked out on occasion. My blood sugar was fine. Turns out I have really flat feet which was causing my toes to go numb. Foot doctor confirmed it.

I was thinking about diabetes (my mind seriously goes to the worse possible conclusion whenever I have any health issue) as well but I don't think it's that. I think it's either just acid reflux or gas.

I'm starting a new job and my health insurance hasn't kicked in yet. When it does, I definitely plan on scheduling a doctor's appointment so I can get everything checked out (BP, blood sugar, cholesterol, etc.). I already have HBP and I know I'm at risk for the others (my sister is also diabetic). So I want to keep everything under control.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #11  
Weight Watchers!

S/C/G: 221/ticker/175

Height: 5'

I have had that same issue, it comes and goes. My DR says that it can be several things.
1. food that is not heavy like my body use to get
2. not enough calories (on days I add higher calorie burning excerise)
3. TOM, light cramps
4. extra abdominal excerises can make your stomach cramp
5. WATER, the #1 cause of hunger

my DR, who is helping me with my weight loss, says to just eat or drink water. If you feel hungry then eat. Make sure it is healthy and always have protein with snacks. I keep some slimfast shakes around and make a shake to sip on when I have days like this.

I found myself needing about 400 calories more than what I was taking in so I feel like I eat all the time. There are some days that I just feel like a pig but then when I go over my fitday and realize I only took in 1500 calories I am so happy that I switched to healthy eating.
eviemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:44 AM   #12  

Height: 6"1"

I wonder if I have acid reflux. I have this feeling that I'm hungry even though I just ate. I have been taking a lot of OTC pain meds for my back. I haven't gone to a doctor in over a year and 1/2 since I lost my insurance. Maybe I'll try some Zantac and see if that helps.
Sockerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #13  
starving artist

S/C/G: 161/157.2/135

Height: 5'7"

i always wondered if it was heartburn as well. bc i often have this weird feeling about 30 minutes after i ate, and i doubt it's hunger. i think it's my body digesting. i guess. im not even sure.
stellart is offline   Reply With Quote