Old 01-09-2009, 04:33 AM   #136  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

FB, Crossfit is fun, it's impossibly hard...my first workout I almost puked and just lay on the floor for about ten minutes waiting for the world to stop spinning. I can't even describe it...you kinda have to see it to grasp the concept. They have a ton of video clips you can watch on the main site (it's just crossfit-dot-com, I think...google will turn it up). Look on the left for the "exercises and demos" button, to see the video menu. "the girls/named wods" is a good place to start there. Here's a classic:
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/051204.wmv

You know it's bad when somebody's crying halfway through the workout, lol.

Right now for workouts, I'm just doing my own thing: lifting 4 days with an upper/lower split, pretty traditional there, and the rest of the time just doing what I feel like, whether it's crossfit stuff, running, skating, whatever gets the job done and sounds like fun at the time. I couldn't find any cookie cutter lifting program that really did everything I wanted it to. I want to get stronger on my big lifts, especially DLs, but I also want to actually "see" some muscles, so I didn't want to totally cut out isolation work and some hypertrophy sets. And crossfit, I'm just addicted...not anywhere near being able to do the full workouts (learned my lesson after the first one, lol), but I'm just having a blast learning new exercises and pushing to get better, stronger, faster, everything! PS- you freaked me out with the "Cheryl" thing. I thought I was in trouble!

Chubs, you are doing so great! Did I say that already? Have you looked into any exercise options yet? I never used to exercise other than skating, and that wasn't even close to a workout then, but I'm a total workout junkie these days!

Melinda, housecleaning is a good workout, especially doing a whole house at once, I bet! I tend to do my own house in short spurts, so it's not much of a workout.

Ruth, I'll be right over!

Barb, I am trying! It's like beating my head on a brick wall, but I'm not freakin' quitting!

Neesy, I've just recently realized how important the daily workouts are, as far as keeping the scale moving, so I am trying to do something each day. Some days life gets in the way, but I am trying hard to make sure it's a priority, and it's really helping so far.

Shauna, I just love that you do not give up. I had many a battle with food in the beginning, and often lost. You've got the right idea, just keep on keepin' on, because determination WILL win out, perseverence and good old stubborn refusal to quit is what it's all about. Once you're eating clean, too, it doesn't take long for the carby cravings to go away, your tastes change, and as time goes on some of these things you won't even be able to stomach, so it does get easier in that way. LOL about the sub!

Last edited by jamsk8r; 01-09-2009 at 04:39 AM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:01 AM   #137  

S/C/G: 210/210/174

Height: 5'4"

I tried to post last night, but it kept saying server too busy try again later. I wonder what is up with that? Oh well I figure this early in the morning it can't be to busy.

Sounds like everyone is doing great. I have been staying POP, but the scale just doesn't want to budge. I guess that just means I'll appreciate it even more when it does go down. I know I really need to work at drinking alot more water. Usually I drink alot of water but, for some reason the last few weeks, I have had to force it down. Maybe it is because it is so cold here.

Cheryl, I can't wait to be out of the 180's either. Here I sit at 180, and for some reason the scale won't move. Maybe tomorrow.

Have a great day everyone.

Wilma
slim n up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:17 AM   #138  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

Height: 5'6"

I've been getting the "server too busy" message all last night too. I assume there are just that many more people coming to check out the site, so with the more traffic, comes the stalled message board. Kind of stinks since this place is like an addiction....LOL.

Thank goodness it's Friday! I feel like this has been a really long week, even with one of the days as a snow day! I can't wait for the weekend
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:04 AM   #139  

TGIF!! I have done ok on food this week...not great but not bad! Water has been great!! Exercise has been lacking!!! I will get some type in today other than chasing kids.
hugs
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #140  
I'm in here somewhere!

S/C/G: 215/tracker/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Wow, you guys are really good success stories! I am almost looking forward to weighing myself on Monday. I have been good with food this week. I didn't exercise yesterday but will for sure today - already have it scheduled. The weekend is going to be busy as will all of next week so as long as I keep to the right foods I should be OK.

Jam - The crossfit seems quite challenging. Is there a slow and steady way to get into that? I used to be a swimmer. I would love to once again become addicted to working out! One day at a time, right?

Slim - What does it mean that you're staying POP?

I am not frustrated yet but hey, I am still new at this. It's good to have a group to babble to about all this weight stuff.

Anyone have any birthdays coming up?

Keep up the good work everyone!!
RealMeSomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #141  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

I have been getting the "Server too busy" message at night too! Must be that everyone is trying to get to all of this support at the same time!!

Shauna- I love the way you describe your sub! Sounds tempting!!

healthymom- Good luck at your weigh in Monday!!

Ruth- I will be right there with Jamsk8r!! Today it is a whopping 7, yes 7 degrees here! I think I will stay inside with a nice hot tea!

Things have been going good here! I have been POP for 4 days!! And I have worked out 3 days so far! I am GOING to workout today and tomorrow!

Have a great Friday everyone!!
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #142  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

POP, I believe means "Perfectly On Plan." Correct me if I'm wrong.

No exercise yesterday but I feel a bout of it coming on this afternoon.

Catch you all later.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #143  
Is too long. I sum up.

S/C/G: 240/229.5/140?

I got zapped with the server too busy message as well.

I dropped another 1.5 pounds overnight, which puts me past my initial V-Day goal. I'm glad I doubled it already.

I must have been carrying around a rucksack worth of extra water to be losing this quickly right now!
Eiluj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #144  

S/C/G: 244/214/165

Height: 5 '6

I haven't posted since I signed up for this challenge so I thought it best to pop in.
I'm doing good, started monitoring my food with fitday and loving it.
Boy does that make you aware of everything going into your body...no cheating there!
I'm down however as to how much I don't know cause I'm not ready to weigh myself.
I found since dropping all the sweets from Christmas, I feel a heck of a lot better.

Hope everyone else is doing well!
Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #145  
Is too long. I sum up.

S/C/G: 240/229.5/140?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
I found since dropping all the sweets from Christmas, I feel a heck of a lot better.
That's always the way for me, too. So why is it that I ever eat badly to start with? You'd think I'd learn!
Eiluj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #146  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I'm going to join in ladies!

My goal:

1) To eat OP, which is 1300-1600 calories per day, cycling high and low days.

2) To do some form of exercise each day, preferably the 30 Day Shred.

3) To only weigh in once a week. (So I don't get obsessive- it's a sickness! haha!)

Let's do this!
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #147  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

HM, yes, you can ease into it, by scaling the workout down to your level. Here's a short video clip that demonstrates this:
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C..._ScaledWOD.wmv

I don't use it all the time. Right now I find crossfit most useful for variety in my "cardio" workouts. I'm also enjoying learning the olympic style lifts, which I didn't think I would like...some of them are quite fun to do. I'm also in hot pursuit of a real pull-up. Right now I'm using the assisted pull-up machine at the Y, or I would be, if I could get there! Hoping today is the day I fix whatever is wrong with the van's windshield wipers, so I can get around like normal!

Everybody else, , and welcome to our new challengers!

Last edited by jamsk8r; 01-09-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #148  
FB

Barb - 20 miles can be quick on a bike if you have the need for speed! I can get it done in a little over an hour (depending on traffic). An exciting, speedy, windblown hour goes by quickly if you're having fun!

Jamsta- I've tried that link repeatedly today. Takes FOREVER to buffer, never finishes. You guys have some sort of atomic nuclear internet connection up there? Nevertheless, my curious mind will not be satisfied until I investigate this further. Your description of a killer workout the other day has me crazily intrigued. It sounded terrible, in a great way!

My workouts vary too. I focus on whatever body part I currently am into for 2 days per week, then focus on the rest the other days. Currently I think shoulders are the bomb! I love the way they look developed in the right shirt. My former love was my back, but since hurting it I haven't been focusing on it hardcore. I think I hurt it with my love. I worked my back today, after weights class - and it feels okay. So that's a good thing.

Deadlifting - I'm unable to convince my trainer that I want it. She refuses, the owner refuses - both say it's not good on the back and that it thickens the waist. I'd like to find out for myself, you know? The closest I do is Good Mornings.

I like picking exercises for the names. Skullcrushers, preacher curls, hammer curls, deadlifting. It just sounds.. impressive.

BBB- Where are you now? What are you delivering? I wanna know! What a romantic adventurous life. I'm thankful for truckers, because I truly enjoy merchandise/shopping. Thank you!

Eiluj- C'mon - give yourself some credit. It's not water - it's WEIGHT. You're doing a great job. Shuddup. Seriously, revel in it, enjoy it and get smug! I lost fast when I started, it was great. I miss it.

Welcome Carcar.

I'm sorry I picked random posts to reply to. I'm feeling stir crazy and unfocused. I drank way too much caffiene. Way. Too. Much.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #149  
Age Quod Agis

S/C/G: 184/177/134

Height: 5'5.5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcar05 View Post
I'm going to join in ladies!

My goal:

1) To eat OP, which is 1300-1600 calories per day, cycling high and low days.

2) To do some form of exercise each day, preferably the 30 Day Shred.

3) To only weigh in once a week. (So I don't get obsessive- it's a sickness! haha!)

Let's do this!
Welcome Carcar!!

We pretty much have the same goals! I'm doing 1200-1600 calorie cycling, 6 days/ week exercise, & I packed up the scales until January 31st.

Best of luck to you!
sweetshauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #150  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

FB, I use windows media player to play that one...it's a wmv file. Try this, search google video for "crossfitflagstaff nasty girls", make sure the first part is all one word, then it will turn up the same video, but it will play right on google. Maybe that will work better for you?

I deadlifts! You should try it. I think you would like them, and I think you would like crossfit...lots of great shoulder work there, too!

PS- forgot to post this earlier, so if you've already gotten the video to work, just ignore this, lol.