Old 12-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #1  
keeping on keeping on

S/C/G: 215/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Default Finding good Protein!

Hello,

I have been having trouble getting enough protein... I average around 15% of the calories I consume (~60g) Can I please have some suggestions? Tuna, tofu, veggie meats, beans, and eggs are a regular in my meals, but I still don't seem to be getting enough. I am not a vegetarian per-se but I don't regularly eat red meat. Chicken is fine, but I often find it expensive as I am a starving student! I also have a bad nut allergy!

Please help !
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm not an expert, and I know others will chime in here.

How about adding things like whole wheat products that are high in fiber and protein? Dairy products like cottage cheese or low-fat cheese? Protein bars are high in protein, but pricey. Maybe you could try some protein powder? Try adding it to smoothies, or even water. I've not tried that personally, but i have read here that some people like it.

Whatever you do, keep working on finding the answers you need to live and eat healthily!
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:51 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yogurt, particularly greek yogurt - very high in protein, and fairly inexpensive at Costco or Trader Joes.

Try upping the proportion of protein in your meals...maybe instead of cooking 4 oz, cook 6, then cut the starch portion to compensate for the calories.

2% cheese is a good source of protein, and calcium too.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #4  
I want the fully monty..

S/C/G: 240/check ticker/170

Height: 6ft

Low fat cottage cheese is my savior. I too don't eat very much meat and stuff so my protein isn't very high. I have two servings of cottage cheese for breakfast and bam, 26 grams! I also like to have vegetarian baked beans. They taste like regular, and have 10 grams for half a cup!
xdominic89x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 02:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

Seafood and turkey are my main staples!
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Yogurt - especially greek yogurt. A single serving has 17g protein
Whole wheat pastas
Quinoa
Cottage Cheese
Low fat milk
Canned tuna and salmon

Also I do use a scoop of protein powder once a day to help me meet my protein goals. Some people would rather not use a supplement and I respect that. I choose a whey isolate, which is pure and has no artificial ingredients. One scoop gives me 27g protein, which is a nice chunk.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #7  
change

S/C/G: 169/ticker/healthy

Height: 5'3" ish?

i second the protein powder. i use an organic hemp protein powder on days i find it hard to get enough protein in. just raw hempseed. so good for you! plus, it has lots of fiber. soy milk, lentils, and i see tofu on your list, but have you tried tempeh? it's not heavily processed like tofu and has quite a bit of protein, and quinoa!
ollie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:30 AM   #8  
keeping on keeping on

S/C/G: 215/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Thanks so much guys!
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Do you have access to a kitchen? Have you tried making veggie meats? Its pretty inexpensive and pretty easy to do.

This is one of my favorite recipes:
http://www.everydaydish.tv/index.php...ipe&recipe=109

I eat a lot of beans and I also eat high protein grains like quinoa and amaranth. If you have a store that sells beans/grains in bulk, it is usually pretty inexpensive.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #10  
start date dec 2008

S/C/G: goal 10 at a time!

Height: 5'9"

I was thinking of trying veggie burgers. they taste good and I haven't had one for awhile. cottage cheese is the best protein I have ever had to happily endure ,Soleil!
brattybratbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

I try to add cheese in to my diet as much as possible- not just because I love it, but also because of the calcium and other things I don't normally get in my diet (I don't eat much dairy). Too much full-fat cheese isn't too good for you, but its not a bad idea to get a serving every day of light cheese.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #12  
started 1/28/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Yogurt - especially greek yogurt. A single serving has 17g protein
Whole wheat pastas
Quinoa
Cottage Cheese
Low fat milk
Canned tuna and salmon

Also I do use a scoop of protein powder once a day to help me meet my protein goals. Some people would rather not use a supplement and I respect that. I choose a whey isolate, which is pure and has no artificial ingredients. One scoop gives me 27g protein, which is a nice chunk.

I've just gotten the New Rules of Lifting for Women, and it's made me realize that I probably don't eat enough protein. I've decided to try whey protein powder, but am a little confused at the sheer variety available. I'd love to know what brand you use/would recommend, and if you tried other brands first, do you have any opinion as to those brands?

Thanks in advance for any information.
Merksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #13  
Workin' It

I use whey protein also - I do the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey, Vanilla Ice Cream flavor. I have a problem with Splenda, and some of their other flavors have it... I order it 5.15 pounds at a time from Amazon.com so it works out to about the same price as the cheaper stuff DH uses from Wal Mart.

I tried GNC but didn't like the taste as well.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Right now I'm using Body Fortress Whey Protein Powder. It does have sucralose in it for sweetening. I'd love to find some plain, unflavored, but I haven't been able to locate any for a reasonable price yet.

The vanilla is not bad. Mostly I just shake it up with 8 oz of water and chug it - so I don't really taste it much.

I have also used the EAS vanilla whey powder and it's ok as well. Again, I don't really taste it ... I just mix and chug.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #15  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

I eat a lot of lean ground turkey and chicken. Also whole wheat pasta is all I buy now. I try and add fat free or 2% cheese to my salads as well. I love Luna bars, too, and they're just 93 cents at the Giant near my grandparents, so I stock up when I visit. They're almost 2 bucks here in the city!
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote