3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   Tell me about your favorite salad. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/156682-tell-me-about-your-favorite-salad.html)

southerngrl 11-18-2008 02:10 PM

Tell me about your favorite salad.

I seem to have trouble with salads when the weather is cooler.

In the summer I grow most of my vegetables so it is kind of basic. Lettuce,radishes,onions,peppers,tomatoes with homemade croutons and a vinegar based dressing.

Also, I am funny about cheese (feta,etc..) so I tend to not add that to mine.

Anyways, what your salads like? Type of lettuce, dressing, etc...

Andrea

Beautiful Ace 11-18-2008 02:12 PM

I like iceberg lettuce with tomatoes, grated carrot, cucumber, with tuna and italian salad dressing. I'm weird though. lol

econ nerd 11-18-2008 02:25 PM

In the winter I like to add something warm to my salad.

One that I really like is to fry up some roast beef and onion (I never use any extra oil in this) - put this on top of your salad and drizzle a bit of BBQ sauce and Ranch dressing - YUMMO

Another that I like is to fry up some shrimp and put that on top of salad and I like the spray honey mustard dressing on this one - YUMMO too

ronni62 11-18-2008 02:53 PM

Mmmmmmmmmm! All those salads sound sooooo gooooood! Giving me some good ideas for lunch tomorrow!

I like lettuce (iceberg or any other that isn't bitter) with carrots, cukes, tomatoes, maybe a little yellow pepper, a little mozzarella cheese, and sometimes some fat free turkey slices (depending on whether the salad is the main course or the side dish) with ranch dressing. I make the Hidden Valley Ranch Buttermilk recipe dressing using lowfat buttermilk and Hellmann's olive oil mayo. The dressing ends up to have only 28 calories per tablespoon.

bandit2 11-18-2008 04:34 PM

I like to add tiny pieces of raw broccoli & cauliflower to my garden salads.
Makes it crunchy.

Shannon in ATL 11-18-2008 04:40 PM

I just started eating salad in the last month or so and I'm pretty much hooked on the Chargrilled & Fruit salad from CFA. So far I've tried blends that emulate that - iceberg or Romaine, fruit, crunchy stuff.

evilwomaniamshe 11-18-2008 04:52 PM

Instead of the normal boring salad thing, I like the serious crunch factor of this veggie salad. I chop mini carrots toss them in a bowl, with chopped cucumbers, chopped tomatoes, kidney beans or black beans, black olives, (any veggies you like actually) plus I add a pouch of salmon or pouch of tuna and add a few drizzles of ranch lite dressing, or sometimes raspberry vinegarette, stir all together and it takes a long time to eat being it is so crunchy and chewy...For presentation I shove it into a de-seeded red or green bell pepper and then you can eat the pepper too! It not only looks pretty and colorful, it tastes good too!

Stephanie Osborne 11-18-2008 04:59 PM

This is my absolute favorite... Trust me its amazing.

I use:
Green Leaf Lettuce
Green Apples (cut into small cubes)
Green Grapes (Cut into quarters)
Craisens
Cucumbers (Cut into slices then into quarters)
Grilled Cubed Chicken... Spiced with a little pepper
Blue Cheese Crumbles
and to top it off Red Wine Vineagrette Salad Sprizer by Wishbone

The spritzer has 1 calorie per spray, 6 sprays will do a serving.

Yumm I am going to have to make this soon now Im craving it lol

Shannon in ATL 11-18-2008 05:18 PM

Ooo, both of those last two sound yummy...

junebug41 11-18-2008 05:19 PM

Where do I begin. I loooove salads.

I prefer a combo of red leaf, green leaf and romaine lettuce
-carrots
-grape tomatoes
-red cabbage
-sunflower sprouts
-grilled chicken or turkey
-broccoli (but they have to be very small peices as to not overwhelm the bowl)
-artichokes as a special treat sometimes.
-blue cheese crumbles
-my favorite italian or balsamic dressing

I'm like evilwomaniamshe- they don't look very green when everything is all mixed up. Sometimes I use the red cabbage as the base.

cfmama 11-18-2008 05:36 PM

I like organic mixed greens
grape tomato's
cut up cukes
green peas
red onions
1 oz peanuts
bit of fajita chicken breast
Tuscan italian olive oil dressing.

SO FREAKING GOOD.

Apple Cheeks 11-18-2008 05:48 PM

Along with different kinds of lettuce, I throw in grape tomatoes, some croutons, some "Salad Toppins" and that's it. I eat my salad with Thousand Island dressing most of the time.

Pretty basic & boring, but I like it.

ready2lose 11-18-2008 09:02 PM

When I'm just having a salad for dinner:

Romain Lettuce
black olives
green olives
slice pepper jack cheese
thinly sliced carrots
garlic pepper salad topping noodles (35 cal for 1/12 tsp)
raisins
Newman's Own All natural salad mist-Asua Sesame (has a little kick to it and at 1 cal a spray it is great). When my friend first told me about the spray salad dressings I was like no thanks but then decided to try it and I"m so glad that I did. My salad is about 300 calories with the meat on top so not having to count the salad dressing is a blessing...lol

And I top this with a piece of grilled salmon or grilled chicken

I have never enjoyed a salad as much as I do now.

LindseyLouWho 11-18-2008 10:27 PM

Oh goodness, I love salads! My all-time favorite is probably either my Greek salad (romaine, red bell pepper, cucumber, tomato, kalamata olives, grilled chicken and a good quality feta with Ken's Light Olive Oil Vinaigrette) or one I make with craisins, sliced almonds, crumbled goat cheese, oven roasted turkey (the strips that Butterball makes), and Maple Grove Farm's Maple Fig Dressing. Right now for lunch the past couple of days I've been having a red leaf lettuce salad with a scoop of tabbouleh on top. It's basically a mixture of bulgur wheat, parsley, tomato, cucumber, lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper, and fresh garlic... I added in some shredded poached chicken breast to up the protein. I then drizzle some of the Ken's Light Olive Oil Vinaigrette over the lettuce.

JulieJ08 11-18-2008 10:58 PM

I like spinach, feta, toasted cayenne walnuts, cranberries, Granny Smith apple, and homemade vinaigrette. Bit of onion, not too much. I had that for an afternoon snack a couple times last week.

I also did the homemade vinaigrette on: chopped carrots, cucumber, bell pepper, celery, edamame, and feta and sunflower seeds and cilantro; this was also for a snack (not a huge portion). I had it for dinner one time (in a larger portion) because I wasn't very hungry, and I added some corn to it for that.