3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   Fried dough calories? Harvest fair got me! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/150994-fried-dough-calories-harvest-fair-got-me.html)

Botzz 09-07-2008 07:00 PM

Fried dough calories? Harvest fair got me!

Ok, so we were at a harvest Fair all day today and I was less than a good boy where keeping to my calorie limit, I had a steak and cheese sandwich and later in the day I had a fried dough. My question to everyone is this.

How many calories do you think are in an average sized fried dough? it was just slightly larger around than a smaller than normal paper plate (maybe 10 inches in diameter) and I had sauce and cheese (very light on both toppings) and I can't find something definitive on an estimate of calories.

so what say you?

I know that I am over today but I figure four plus hours of walking around fairgrounds part of the time with my daughter on my shoulders will counteract some of the extra love that I inserted onto my handles today. pictures to follow in my blog either later today or tomorrow morning.

As Ever
Me

walking2lose 09-07-2008 07:05 PM

Hey Botz,

Don't worry... I know you'll be back on track soon! You have been doing such an AMAZING job on your journey to health!

By fried dough, I thought you probably meant what I call "funnel cakes" - fried dough with powdered sugar - about the size of a paper plate. God, how I love funnel cakes! Anyway, I digress. But then you got me when you said you had sauce and cheese on your fried dough - or was that on your steak sandwich??? Either way, I would try to look it up on dailyplate - they may actually have a calorie count for it. But I wouldn't worry too much - just get back up on the horse tomorrow, and maybe some extra exercise too.

Good luck!

luvja 09-07-2008 07:49 PM

I have no idea about the calories - Just wanted to say, OH WELL! the fair is probably only once a year right? It's okay to spoil yourself once and a while!

fiberlover 09-07-2008 08:20 PM

Based on what I have found in various places, I would say anywhere from 500 to 700 calories, depending on size and amount of toppings. For one around 10 inches or so, I would err on the higher side. Fried dough tends to be fattier than funnel cake, as the dough is different.

bargoo 09-07-2008 09:34 PM

I wouldn't worry about it, it is done, now get back on plan. You have had an amazing loss.

Curvaliscious 09-07-2008 10:02 PM

Enjoy your one day of fried dough. : ) That would go right through me at this point.

Sometimes if I go over calories due to a special day, I don't beat myself up over what I ate...unless I plan to go back again. Then I suppose I would try and figure out the calories for my favorite treats before the event.

EricaBG 09-07-2008 10:05 PM

I mean, how often do you go to a fair and if you don't indulge like that every once in a while youre going to drive yourself nuts! you gotta treat yourself every once in a while! Also, where in CT are you from? My boyfriend lives 20 mins from Danbury in Putnam County, New York. Just thought i'd ask!

aphil 09-08-2008 02:21 PM

Fried dough....

That brings 3 things to mind: funnel cakes (with the powdered sugar, where the dough is in smaller bits), elephant ears (the big pieces with the cinnamon sugar and butter), and then finally, frybread. (My husband is Native American.)

Never heard any of them called fried dough, though. :lol:

luvja 09-08-2008 02:26 PM

You'd be suprised with the things they can fry these days. I was in the states last fall, in Buffalo, NY. I just live across the border, and decided to go over for the day. We ended up a fair type thing, and they were serving "Fried Chocolate bars" and "Fried Twinkies".
I was in shock.. heart attack on a plate...mmmm :barf:

Beverlyjoy 09-08-2008 02:34 PM

Yes......that was then and this is now. Carry on!! You've done so well - just hop back on your plan.

(once I had a deep fried dill pickle!)

julie99s 09-08-2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphil (Post 2352154)
Fried dough....

That brings 3 things to mind: funnel cakes (with the powdered sugar, where the dough is in smaller bits), elephant ears (the big pieces with the cinnamon sugar and butter), and then finally, frybread. (My husband is Native American.)

Never heard any of them called fried dough, though. :lol:

omg, elephant ears! The sole reason I dreaded the fair this year! lol

midwife 09-08-2008 03:31 PM

Mmmm, fry bread & Navajo tacos. Our fair is happening right now and that would be my food of choice. Calories in a Navajo taco? Who the heck knows? I wouldn't even try to count it. :lol: I would enjoy it as a rare treat (and cultural experience---yeah, it's a cultural experience!) and just get right back on the horse with the next food choice.

Shannon in ATL 09-08-2008 05:08 PM

I wouldn't worry about it Botz, you have done amazing things so far so a little fried dough isn't going to hurt you one bit! :)

Now I'm daydreaming about going to Helen (GA) when we go to the mountains for our anniversary next week... There is a little funnel cake place called 'grandma's' or something like that where they put an entire cinnamon apple on top of one funnel cake then smother it with whip cream and sugar and more cinnamon... I've got to find a way to make that happen...

Someone told me that she saw "fried coca-cola" at the Renn Fest this year, but I didn't see it myself so can't prove it... never found it online anywhere, but I'm pretty curious.... And, I saw Paula Dean deep fry a canolli last week on the food network...

aphil 09-09-2008 07:39 AM

Paula Deen can deep fry Cool Whip. :rofl:

PhotoChick 09-09-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Someone told me that she saw "fried coca-cola" at the Renn Fest this year, but I didn't see it myself so can't prove it... never found it online anywhere, but I'm pretty curious
Yup. It's Coke syrup mixed into a sort of sponge-cake batter, formed into balls, frozen, and then deep fried - then served with whipped cream and more Coke Syrup.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2006/10/...2481161019883/

But back to the original poster: I would estimate it at around 700 cals myself, but would also not worry too much about counting it exactly. I'd just consider a day at the fair an "off" day and move forward from there. :D