Old 07-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #16  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Well, what is the RDA for sodium? 2000mg ? (I forget).
So, I guess it depends on how many you drink.
(as a comparison I just looked at my skim milk--it has 130mg sodium per 8oz serving.)

My friend just told me the other day that her husband drinks 12 cans of Mtn. Dew per day, so I'd say in his case, that's alot of sodium!!
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #17  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMNewman View Post
There are only 35mg of sodium in 1 can. hmmmmm Thats not a lot is it?
To be honest, I don't really know. It doesn't sound like a lot. Maybe it is for some people, not so much for others?

I just checked my canister of Crystal Light Peach Tea. No sodium. Just have to keep track of the calories.
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:51 PM   #18  

Height: 5' 8"

My favorite IMHO, for a lot of people (like lil ol me) it's the artificial sweeteners. There are plenty of people who do just fine using them but I couldn't get the scale even started moving in the right direction until I gave them up. I'm not a scientist so I couldn't begin to tell you why but my body seemed to react to the 1/2 gallon or so of Crystal Light I was drinking every day as if it were full sugar kool-aid.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:55 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

::I stand up::

Hi. My name is Judi and I am a diet coke addict.

{Hi Judi}

My addiction was the equivalent of more than 2 liters per day. I found that once I switched over to green tea (I make a pitcher of sun tea, and add mint and lo-cal sweetener), I abruptly dropped several pounds. So, now I drink about a gallon of the tea per day (it isn't very strong - almost like colored water), with only the occasional can of diet coke (once a week is about it).

The headache will pass - once your body detoxifies from all the caffeine. Good on ya, mate!

::sits back down::

Edited to add: I use the pink and or the blue sweetener, but am working towards using just stevia.

Last edited by judipurple; 07-09-2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: clarification
judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Awesome! Diet soda will do that to you, really, which is why I won't let myself exceed 1 can per day (or otherwise I really bloat up like crazy). After a while you don't even really like it anymore. :/
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #21  

I used to be a Diet Coke-aholic. I drank coffee, then diet coke all day long. I never thought I could give it up. But, I went through a period where I just felt draggy all the time and decided to go cold turkey on the diet coke to see if that would help and maybe help my cravings for snacks along with it. I still drink coffee but only in the mornings mostly, maybe decaf in the evening or an iced tea (unsweetened) if we are out. Water is my mainstay during the day. It's been over 2 years now (I have lost track) since I had any kind of pop. I try to keep the artificial sweeteners to a minimum in my life now. I accidentally took a drink from my dh's diet coke as it was in the same type of cup as my tea once about a year after I'd gave it up. I had to spit it out, it was the strangest sensation (bubbly and burning) on my tongue and was horribly sweet tasting. I do not know how I ever developed a taste for it. I thought I'd have cravings for it but I didn't. I must have hit upon quitting at just the right time for me. When I first gave it up, I figured it would be a short time, then I'd go back to a can a day or something. I've had no desire to start drinking pop again. I do like a club soda every once in a while, mostly when I fly.
poohshunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:42 AM   #22  
~*Dawn*~

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

*WOW*
I am down to 195.5 today, so thats a 4 pound loss since I stopped the constant drinking of pop :O I think some of it is water retention from TOM since its due to come on Monday, but I'm still in shock!!!!
Deer Park is coming this morning to bring 3- 5 gallons of water along with the dispenser *Thanks to my husband*

Last edited by DMNewman; 07-10-2008 at 08:06 AM.
DMNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

I had a similar experience. I used to drink 2-3 diet sodas a day, and then in April I decided to quit cold turkey. I had been stuck at 128 lbs for weeks, and then after I quit the diet soda I dropped 3 lbs in 3 weeks! It was amazing. I don't know for sure if I can attribute it to the diet soda -- I mean, scientifically speaking, it has no calories and very little sodium. But the facts speak for themselves. I've officially gone 3 months without diet soda.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 183/130/115

Height: 5'0"

I have been at 125 for for a almost a month. Well, I weighed in this morning, and I am down to 123!!!! The only thing I have done differently this week is up the water and cut waaaaaay back on the diet soda! I have not lost 2 lbs in a week for a long time. I'm so exited!!
RNmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote