Old 07-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #1  

Default tips for pms cravings--please help

I've been counting calories with success for a few months now, except for one nagging problem. As soon as I reach the second half of my cycle (the day after ovulation) my appetite goes out of whack. I just can't eat enough to be satisfied--its like a switch is flipped. As soon as my cycle begins, I'm fine again--my appetite goes back to normal and I can easily stick with the 1500-1600 calories I eat per day (I eat 4 meals per day about 400 cal per meal). Does anyone else have this problem or is there something wrong with me? I realize that women's appetites do increase during this time, but I feel like mine is excessive and adding an extra 100-200 cal per day just isn't enough. Has anyone figured out a successful plan to cope? I'd appreciate any help--its SO frustrating... Thanks!
AmyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #2  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

This happens to me also. Except luckily it's only the 2-3 days before my period begins. I feel ravenous all day long. Once I realized that's what it was, I have been able to suppress the hunger feelings somewhat. I do chew alot of gum during that time, and if I snack I try to make wise choices.
Sometimes, I just gotta have cheez-its though
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

I absolutely have that problem! The only sensible fixes I've found involve loading vegetables into something else that satisfies the craving. When it's a chocolate problem, I just have the HG fake fudge, but that doesn't fix a volume need. For volume, luckily it doesn't have to be chocolate. I make whole wheat pasta with a ton of veggies in it, or my favorite fake cheesesteak, with no steak: I just throw a bunch of onions and mushrooms into a sprayed pan, add some low fat or fat free mozzarella, and roll it up in a whole wheat tortilla. It really helps me because it's huge and heavy, but it's certainly waaaay lower in calories than the real thing!
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I have the EXACT same problem too! I hate it so much because if it wasn't for this issue, I'd probably be ten pounds lighter! Your post made me think of Weight Watchers, which I've done in the past. I'm a calorie counter too. Why don't you "bank" your points? Maybe you could subtract about 150 calories per day and then save up for a special meal? I know it's not much but maybe it'll help a little. Also, maybe it will give you something to look forward to while you're chewing your gum. Also, make sure you're drinking tons of water and try to avoid caffeine, which tends to make PMS symptoms worse (same with alcohol). I wish I had some better advice, but I really don't. Maybe you could try the ladies over in the Chicks in Control forum?
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/150/125

Height: 5ft 6

I've the exact same problem, i get ravenously hungry and mad chocolate cravings, never noticed until recently - i suppose i wasnt keeping track of my food and my periods had been very irregular for a long time so i never knew when i was ovulating. I havent found solution yet so i have no advice - in fact two weeks or so ago when i was ovulating i went completely off the rails. Now im regular i'll just have to try to plan for it i think and eat more good food.
Raemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Your body burns more calories during ovulation, and I believe during the week leading up to your period (prime pms time.) Now granted, this doesn't give you license to go hog wild, but don't be too hard on yourself either. If you are still seeing a trend in weight loss over the month (i.e. your weight is going down), then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

As far as how to deal with it, what are you craving? Carbs? Chocolate? You can go one of two ways. Either remove all the things you crave from your house or allow yourself reasonable amounts of what you crave (if you can keep it in check.) For instance, if I want chocolate, I have 100 calories worth of the richest, darkest stuff I can find and I take my time and enjoy it.

Another thing to think about is your salt, sugar, and caffeine intake the week prior to ovulation (or whenever the cravings hit.) All those things can make pms worse, even the cravings.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 117/113/106-108

Height: 5'2"

I have found that a little bit of dark chocolate satisfies my chocolate cravings during PMS. If I'm craving bready sweets, Vitalicious Vitatops are a good option - only 100 calories and lots of fiber.

Usually, though, I crave crispy crunchy salty things. Potato chips, especially kettle fried chips, which my DH loves, are my biggest weakness. I have learned the hard way that I cannot stop until I finish the bag, so I just don't buy them anymore. (DH, who fights skinny like I fight fat, will just have to do without!) I like wasabi flavored rice crackers as a substitute - they're not the most nutritiously dense, but they are pretty low in calories for a sizable serving. Kashi crackers aren't crispy enough for my craving, and forget about celery.

I agree that drinking lots of water helps with the cravings and general body upkeep during PMS times. Though sometimes that is hard to remember when your brain and body are yelling "I want chips! I want chips!"
srpotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

Yep those 3 or so days before my period are a killer!!! I could lick the little fruit design right off my plates. A few things I have done to help are:

#1 I try to make meals with lots of volume and few calories. BIG salads, stir fried veggies, that type of thing.

#2 I used to think it was tortilla chips I craved then I figured out it was the salt and salsa. So now I slice cucumbers and lightly salt them and dip them in salsa.

#3 Dark chocolate in small controlled quanities is very satisfying.

#4 Ice Cream cravings can be put at bay by combining 8 ounces Light vanilla Soy Milk, 8 ice cubes, 1 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder and a few drops of vanilla stevia then blend until smooth. Kin of reminds me of DQ chocolate soft serve.

#5 If I think I absolutely must eata candy bar or chips or pizza I count the calories then work out enough to burn that number of calories. usually though once I calculate extra gym time...I opt for a more plan friendly option.

#6 Water, lots and lots of water!!!

#7 If I choose to stray from my plan, I try to stay in control. I figure out how many calories I am going to allow myself. I figure out what it is I am really craving. Then I take that amount of food in a dish and sit down and eat it slowly and enjoy it. NO EATING OUT OF THE BAG, TUB, or BOX. It is too easy to go way overboard. Even if what I choose to eat is not ideal, I am still in control. I think this helps me not to feel guilty and ashamed afterwards. Which in turn helps me dust myself off and get back on plan.

I LOVE the fake cheesesteak idea...gonna have to try that!!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #9  
Trying it again....

S/C/G: 237/237/145

Height: 5'4"

Kateb-thanks for ice cream tip. I just bought some soymilk cause I wanted to try it and I love it. I crave ice cream alot so now i have to go try it.

Thanks for this post, i have a hard time with TOM and food as well.
tkglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #10  
Waiting on a hot body

S/C/G: 165/153/135

Yeah, I know this can happen due to hormonal changes and alterations in glucose metabolism at that time in your cycle. I think I am oddly lucky because during the second half of my cycle and especially JUST prior to getting my period, I crave running. I can think about nothing else. For me, no matter how hungry I am, if I go for a longer run, I am not hungry again for at least 2 hours.

I personally keep lots of baby carrots and low fat veggie dip in stock but I mentioned this in a previous post as well... sometimes if I am looking for something to help with the hunger but not add a lot of calories and fat (NO FAT, no cholesterol, VERY few carbs), I make egg beaters (egg whites only) and put fresh frozen onions and peppers onto a skillet to make an omlet. Eggbeaters are only 30 calories per serving and generally 2 servings is a decent size. Onions and peppers only add about 20 calories = total of 80 calories and because of the protein, it keeps me full for quite a long time.

Last edited by MalibuBeachBound; 07-08-2008 at 01:07 PM.
MalibuBeachBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 158/148/130

Love the chocolate Vitatops - and they're filling so they don't trigger a binge, like pure chocolate might....
meggoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:06 AM   #12  

Height: 5'5"

When i'm really, really craving the chocolate...I just do it. I eat a hershey bar. A whole regular size one. And I don't feel bad about it. Seriously, one Hershey bar at 210 calories or whatever is NOT going to harm my plan. I would much rather give in and just eat it than be unsatisfied with healthy snack after healthy snack---until I realize I just ate 500 cals worth of fruit and sugar free pudding...and I still want chocolate!
mxgirl737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:38 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 141/134/119

Height: 5'5

i found a recipe on another section of the board for cocoa meringue drop cookies. at only 14 calories/3 carbs each, and having rave reviews (i myself haven't tried it yet) maybe it's worth a try! you could even have 4 or 5 or maybe even 6 or 7 without feeling guilty =)

edit: realized the link didnt go through...here's the recipe if anyone wants to give it a go!

Serves: 40
Review this recipe or Read Reviews

recipe ingredients
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
3 large egg whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoon powdered sugar

recipe directions
Preheat oven to 300F. Line 2 heavy large baking sheets with foil or parchment paper. Sift 1/4 cup sugar, cocoa and salt into small bowl. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl until soft peaks begin to form. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar 1/2 tablespoon at a time and beat until medium-firm peaks form. Add cocoa mixture 1 tablespoon at a time and beat until meringue is stiff and glossy.

Drop meringue onto prepared baking sheets by rounded teaspoonfuls, spacing 1 inch apart. For chewy soft cookies, bake meringues 25 minutes. For drier, crisper cookies, bake meringues 40 minutes. Cool cookies on baking sheets. Sift powdered sugar over cookies.
Serves: 40 - Nutrition Information Per Serving
calories total fat sat fat protein fiber sodium (mg) carbs ww pts
14 0 0 0 0 8 3 0

Last edited by ashley916; 07-10-2008 at 08:51 PM.
ashley916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #14  
Taking It Back

S/C/G: 199.8/189.2/134.2

Height: 5'6.2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxgirl737 View Post
When i'm really, really craving the chocolate...I just do it. I eat a hershey bar. A whole regular size one. And I don't feel bad about it. Seriously, one Hershey bar at 210 calories or whatever is NOT going to harm my plan. I would much rather give in and just eat it than be unsatisfied with healthy snack after healthy snack---until I realize I just ate 500 cals worth of fruit and sugar free pudding...and I still want chocolate!
I am so there lol. I just went through mine and decided I would rather have a chocolate bar than breakfast, a chocolate bar than lunch, et cetera heh. Not the best option, but if it is within your calories, at least there is that.
I also find the Kudos bars pretty satisfying chocolate-wise. They are tiny, but only 110 or 110 calories each.
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #15  

Smile

Well, thanks everyone for the great ideas and support--I'm definitely going to try some of these--especially the chocolate ideas!!! Its just nice as well to know that other people have extended PMS like me--I asked my mother and sister if they have ever had this problem, but they looked at me like I was crazy.. So I'm glad to know that I'm either not crazy or that there are other crazies like me.. Thanks again!
AmyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote