3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   How do you keep track? Pen&Paper, online, or both? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/139702-how-do-you-keep-track-pen-paper-online-both.html)

Alexistrophic 04-13-2008 12:37 PM

How do you keep track? Pen&Paper, online, or both?

How do you track your cal consumption?
Interested in seeing other people's methods...

I've been thinking pen&paper immediately, and then throwing it onto fitday at the end of the day.

Heather 04-13-2008 12:45 PM

I usually do it online, often along the way during the day. I like having online access so I don't have to be at one computer to enter the info -- I can do it from home, or work, or when travelling. Sometimes when I have no internet access (the horror!) I write things down on paper to remember for later -- or just to keep me aware as I go along.

I like that computerized versions keep track of all kinds of statistics for me!

Azure 04-13-2008 01:06 PM

I used to use both, but now I try to keep it as much on the PC as possible. I usually plan out what I'm going to have to eat ahead of time, so that's not a big deal. But, if I end up eating something I haven't planned for, I might write it down so I can record it later.

Fat Chick B Gone 04-13-2008 01:07 PM

I use fitday online. I generally plan my meals/snacks out ahead of time but modify during the day as needed. I like the online version so I can update at home/work/wherever I am. I've used pen and paper but with the computer programs you just store your custom foods once and boom done forever.

just keep swimming 04-13-2008 02:29 PM

I use the daily plate, unless I won't have access to a computer for a while, in which case I write everything down so I won't forget to enter it later.

SundayMorning 04-13-2008 03:02 PM

I keep track of my calories throughout the day in a notebook. I find it easier this way as I don't really plan my meals ahead of time.

lorilove 04-13-2008 03:09 PM

DietPower - which is PC based. I log as I go.

Lori

fiberlover 04-13-2008 03:56 PM

I do it online, but will use pen and paper on occasion if I don't have access to a computer.

Daffy29 04-13-2008 04:40 PM

Neither, actually: I have a program for my Palm device. It's the best of both worlds. It does all the work, and it's portable.
  • it has a huge database of foods that I can add to
  • it keeps track of calories, carbs, fat, protein & fibre
  • it tracks my weight and my glasses of water every day
  • it has a database of exercise and I can add my own
  • it can calculate recipes for me
  • it can track measurements and blood pressure, too

It's also available for the PC, and there is a trial version that is fully functional, but won't let you add foods, if I remember right. And it's not expensive. Google Keyoe Diet and Exercise Assistant.

LessEveryDay 04-13-2008 04:40 PM

I have an Excel spreadsheet that gets more complicated the more I play with it. :) I don't work, so most of my week is spent near enough to my laptop to do the entry. And, since I cook most all of our meals from scratch - and try new recipes all the time - all the pre-entered stuff on the other sites wouldn't do me much good.

dgramie 04-13-2008 08:56 PM

I do my pen and paper.I once a week check it out on fitday to see if my numbers are close.

missmuffet 04-13-2008 09:28 PM

I use both the computer and pencil and paper. I use the pencil and paper during the day, and at the end of the day, I go to www.sparkpeople.com and record my food and other activities there.

bargoo 04-13-2008 09:35 PM

I use a pen and paper. I like to do it this way as I don't have to be online to post. This works best for me.Others prefer to do it onlne.

CountingDown 04-13-2008 09:43 PM

Fitday PC. I have a very small laptop that I travel with. I use my PDA to jot notes if I won't be near my computer for a while.

GatorgalstuckinGA 04-13-2008 09:55 PM

i downloaded calorieking.com for my pda. Its great...lots of foods including many resturants...the only thing i wish it did better was adding recipes (ie if you have a recipe that doesn't have calorie/fat etc, you could enter all the ingredients and it would give you that info) but love my pda