Old 03-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Oh Annie ... you are my favourite person of the day!

I so so so so so wish everyone would start counting first, then cut calories. Isn't it an eye-opener to see how much you have been eating!?!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:09 AM   #17  
ZeusMeatball

S/C/G: 534/309/275

Height: 6'4''

I feel like I should chime in with a big ol YES! it works I have lost 67 lbs total since Jan 1st and did it with calorie counting, I don't believe there is a miracle plan or pill out there and calorie counting falls into the common sense category for me ( I just wish I had figured that out years ago) eat moderately and get some movement in and the math and science says that you will lose weight. my wife who weighs 204 lbs now so only 3 lbs more than you started counting calories at the same time I did and she has lost 32 lbs thus far and the difference in the way she looks in insanely noticeable. so I would also say that you can see a difference pretty quickly as well. if you want to see how I eat, and the types of food thats going in check out my blog, it has the entire trip so far and then some on it, link is in my sig line, good luck with whatever you choose to do!

As Ever
Me
Botzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:24 PM   #18  

Height: 5'8"

I totally agree, calorie counting works. I tried WW before 3 times, it worked every time I did it, but I couldn't keep up with the points. WW is also based on calories, but they also include fat and fiber content to figure out "point" value for food. It got to be too much work and sometimes I couldn't find fiber or even fat content of some foods.

Calories are simpler in my eyes. Any diet plan requires work and dedication, you have to keep track of different aspects required by your specific plan, so the simpler the better.

I keep a daily journal on a notebook. I use different websites to find out calories for different foods, Calorieking.com, Dietfacts.com, this website also has a lot of calories for food. I think Fitday and Dailyplate are great tools, but for me personally I find it easier to have my little notebook handy. I write on it whenever I want and don't have to be near a computer for that. That's just what works for me. You could even use Excel and do it that way. I also bought the Calorie King book, it's a small book with thousands of foods and restaurants listed. It's pretty handy and small enough if you want to carry it around with you.

I started mid Jan and I've lost 18 lbs and I feel this is something I can do forever. And like previous posts say, the more you do it, the easier it gets. There are certain foods I know the calorie count by heart now b/c I eat them so often.

Last edited by friendlykat4u; 03-26-2008 at 01:26 PM.
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 360/seetracker/160

Calore Counting is the only thing that works for me. I started Jan. 7, 2008 and as of today, March 26, 2008 (11 weeks) I have lost 21 lbs. I average 1900 calories a day (some days as low as 1700, others as high as 2300) and I am average a weightloss of almost 2 lbs/week. I am making healthier choices, but eating normal foods and normal portions. I can even fit in glasses of wine and a piece of chocolate here and there. I have yet not to feel satisfied.

Other things that have helped me:

**Stopped drinking sodas (maybe have one as a treat every few months)
**Stopped putting sugar in anything and reduced eating foods w/ sugar (I rarely crave sugar ... just chocolate on occasion)
**Switched to dark chocolate only
kmg73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #20  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

I agree with what everyone else has said. I feel like it's the only thing I tried that is actually a lifestyle change and not a "diet". With calorie counting I feel like I can be a "normal" person, meaning eating out with friends and eating some treats at parties and special occasions. It all fits in with some extra planning.
As far as atkins goes, I always thought it sounded like a stupid idea but with so many people having success I decided to try it. Lasted 2 days feeling horrible, everything I tried to eat made me gag. Went to subway, got a sub and felt better right away. My body doesn't do the no/low carb thing well. Plus I'm not a huge meat fan only eat it here and there, so forcing myself to eat it was hard!
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #21  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Counting calories is the only thing that COULD work for me. It is the ONLY thing that keeps me accountable and enables me to set limits on the portions that I eat.

Though counting calories alone probably wouldn't have done it for me. In wanting to get the most food for my calorie allotment, it has also forced me to choose extremely healthy foods. I really need the combination of the healthy foods + the calorie counting.

It does get easier over time as you learn the different calorie counts of all the food. IMO, it is the best thing "out there" and I really feel that I can do this forever. I wish you the best of luck.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote