Old 02-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #16  

sounds great...but wouldn't the carbonation screw something up in the baking process??
Boosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Apparently not, the recipe has been around here on the forum in the WW section for years.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The cake does bake up with a different texture than when made the "regular" way. If you want it to bake up more like the traditional recipe, an egg white or two helps, and adds almost no calories. Without the egg whites, the cake turns out much moister and a little denser (and I think better). When my mom makes it, she uses sugar free Cool Whip as a frosting, but made without the egg whites, I don't think it needs frosting at all.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:01 PM   #19  

Height: 5'7"

I agree the texture is different but good. My husband who hates diet food loves it.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #20  

My mom serves it alot, and everyone is always surprised at how it was made. Mostly I think because moist and dense tends to normally mean lots of butter or oil.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #21  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

I personally HATED this cake! Sorry!!!!

I made it for a superbowl party--- chocolate cake with Coke Zero (I heard you should get diet soda made with SPLENDA to avoid chemical tastes)

Well, I thought it was AWFUL! I baked the cake, covered it with a layer of my favorite SF, FF chocolate pudding, and then with light cool whip.

I ate the cake and it tasted like chocolate pepsi. UGH. I thought you could def. tell that there was coke-taste in there.

But my family liked it. Even my SUPER "anti-diet-food" mother. So... maybe it's only b/c I was EXPECTING to taste the pop. who knows.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:59 PM   #22  

You don't have to use cola. My mom usually uses diet sprite, especially with light cake mixes. With chocolate cakes, she likes diet Dr. Pepper. I like chocolate cake with fruit flavored diet sodas like orange, raspberry, or cherry colas.

Still, I only make this once a year or less, because desserts aren't my weakness, "real" food is.