Old 03-23-2005, 08:51 PM   #1  
kpw

Default Egg Bake for days

This is my version of the quiche cups/egg bake/fritata variety that I make up once a week and have for the week (or freeze and pop in the microwave).

Preheat oven to 375

2 C Egg Substitute
3/4 cup diced canadian bacon (aka pea-meal for the northern neighbors) or crumbled lean turkey or chicken sausage
1/2 onion chopped
1 bell pepper (I prefer red) chopped
8 oz mushrooms sliced
1 C cooked chopped broccoli (I like my pieces 1/2 in big)
1 C shredded l/f cheese of your choice

If using sausage, saute and crumble until brown. Otherwise start here:

Add onions, mushrooms to a saute pan (with just a spray of ICBINB spray) and cook until mushrooms start to release their juices - about 5 minutes. Add peppers and cook another couple of minutes. Set aside and let cool a bit.

In a 9x13 casserole dish, spray with your favorite non-stick spray and layer the ham/onion/mushroom/pepper mixture on the bottom. Layer the broccoli and 1/2 of the shredded cheese. Season with S&P and any other seasoning you want, fresh parsley, basil, thyme, tarragon all work well, or dried herb mixes like herbes de provence. Pour the egg subst into the dish then top with the remaining cheese.

This next part may sound like a lot of work, but I've made it several times without the water bath and it gets too rubbery for my liking - but skip if you want - just make sure to take it out before it gets totally set in the middle, as it will continue cooking after you take it out of the oven:

Take a large roasting pan (larger than your casserole dish) and fill it with about 1-2 in boiling water. Place the casserole dish in the pan and place the whole thing in the bottom rack of your oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.

I cut this up into 12 pieces, but sometimes I eat 1 1/2 or 2 pieces for a serving. I wrap them individually in plastic wrap and put them in a sealed plastic bag. They freeze well too, reheat at 50% power for about 3 minutes in the microwave.

I often will add whatever vegetable leftover we had the night before - green beans, asparagus, grilled veggies, whatever is there. Adding diced green chilis or green onions work well too-
kpw is offline   Reply With Quote