"Homefries"

• "HomeFries"

16 ounce bag radishes, washed, dried and trimmed (prewashed packaged radishes are okay)
    1 small onion, diced (2.5 ounces)
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tbs canola oil, or olive oil
    Salt and pepper, to taste

Quarter the smaller radishes and cut any larger ones into eighths. Heat the butter and oil in a medium skillet; add the radishes and onions. Cover pan and turn heat to low. Let cook for 5-10 minutes. Uncover, turn heat to medium and cook until nicely browned, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.

Makes 4 servings

From original poster: If you can get past the pink color, these taste amazingly like fried potatoes. The covered cooking helps to soften them a bit before the browning stage. I covered mine for 5 minutes and they still had a little crunch so 10 minutes might be better. Although they tasted a lot like potatoes, there seemed to be something missing so I think the addition of a couple slices of bacon might add just the right flavor. If you use bacon, brown it a bit before adding the onion and radishes, and omit the butter and oil
  • mmmm. i love radishes. so i will be trying this. i will post how it goes!
  • You can tell from my name that the hardest part of SBD is giving up my potatoes, but this is a pretty good substitute... the texture is similar. I usually can't stand raw radishes, so I was skeptical, but these weren't bad. I'll make some again tomorrow!

cathy
  • When on Atkins DH and I made a hash brown with Daikon Radish - it's a big radish, looks like a big root. We liked it ok, but it wasn't taters! Can we have the Daikon radish on this plan?
  • Yes, you can.
  • i like to add some bacon while making this. it adds a bit of flavour that makes it more like a hash.

good though. i'll make it again.
  • WOW - I am so amazed ... This was DELICIOUS!!! Really tastes like hashbrowns. You have to let them saute until they look crispy and browned (I almost gave up before they were done) I ended up keeping them cooking for over 40 minutes ... My husband (definately NOT a dieter) actually asked for seconds!!! Thanks for the recipe... It's a KEEPER!!!
  • I hate the taste of raw radishes. Does this taste anything like a radish? If not I'll try it.
  • Pear - it doesn't taste like radishes....if you can get past the pink color. Be careful with the salt though...the first time I put too much on.
  • I love this recipe..so did one of my kids!!!
  • I cooked this without butter and added some season salt and it was delicious. I cook it with enovo. I might try it today with some spray pam olive oil instead..... will let you know how it turns out.
  • Okay, I cooked it with pam olive oil in the same pan that I had cooked my turkey bacon it, I added some onion salt (out of onions!) and it is delicious!

Alicia