3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Breakfast Ideas - Phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/breakfast-ideas-phase-1-128/)
-   -   Mock French Toast/Pancakes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/breakfast-ideas-phase-1/42465-mock-french-toast-pancakes.html)

missioncollegeweight 06-23-2004 10:20 AM

Mock French Toast/Pancakes

hey South Beacher's-
i found this recipe and decided to try it out and it is FABULOUS.. it tastes like the real thing and i felt as though i was cheating.. you have to try it.. ive made it every day since i found it.

Mock French Toast

4 egg whites
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup riccotta cheese
dash cinnamon
1 packet of splenda
I cant believe its not butter spray
sugar free maple syrup

mix all together in a bowl and beat with a fork
pour into pan like you would as if you were making pancakes
top with butter spray and syrup and ENJOY!!!
(really tasty with turkey bacon and coffee- :coffee:

Edited by Ruth. 05/05/23
This is for a single serving.
226 calories, 10 grams of fat, 5 grams carbs and 27 gram of protein when made with part skim ricotta.

MAK0303 01-24-2009 11:30 AM

Thanks for the recipe! Some thoughts for others who may try this (I just made it..) This seemed a bit much for a single serving - I couldn't finish it all. It came out much better if you make them kind of thin.. at the end I just dumped the remaining batter in the pan and it came out too thick, which makes it taste like an odd sort of egg. These are kind of eggy tasting - not like real pancakes, but if you make them thin it's better. Add a little extra cinnamon. Thanks for the variety! :)

Kate53 02-02-2009 09:25 AM

I will give these a try. I just went back to phase 1 for a few days as my "weekly pound loss" did not happen this week. I think I have been over doing it with "good" carbs so I will get the craving issue under control by returning to phase 1. I so do not like ricotta cheese but hopefully I won't taste it with this recipe. Thanks for the breakfast idea. Variety is so important with this diet.

mrsisaac 02-16-2009 10:45 AM

This tasted so good this morning! I'm a real breakfast foods person and I'm so happy that I found this recipe. I'm curious to hear if anyone has any suggestions for a good sugar-free syrup. I tried the Smuckers brand first and it was pretty good. Any other suggestions?

Jessica

snoozlebug 07-11-2009 02:52 PM

mmm! Made this this morning for the first time. My batter was a lot thinner than real pancake batter, so the result was more like sweet crepes than pancakes, but still nummy! Also had turkey bacon - yes, a very nice complement.

I second that the portions given seem way too much for a single serving. It was plenty to feed both me and my boyfriend.

jenleeca 11-01-2009 08:40 PM

These where pretty good. I just started phase 1. Tues will be one week and I am already sick of eggs for breakfast. Although it was a bit egglike, the sugar free maple syrup really made it delicious!

aquabuttafly 11-09-2009 01:31 PM

thank you so much for posting this! best Monday morning I've had in weeks!

JLN555 11-11-2009 02:52 PM

Yum.

:pYUMMY. I can't wait until tommorow morning so I can try this one.

asphyxia63 11-14-2009 01:49 PM

Just tried these, still have some on my plate that I can't finish. Made about 4 total pancakes. I agree they were very thin and more like crepes, I might omit the sweet stuff next time and roll them up with veggies. The only thing that made them taste like pancakes was the ICBINB and syrup. I thought they were very eggy. I used egg beaters egg whites (3/4 c = 4 egg whites). Maybe I should use less next time for more pancakey results? Or more ricotta?

jenne1017 01-03-2010 11:35 AM

OK, I might be doing something really wrong here or maybe I just need a waffle iron but I have been toying with this recipe for almost 5 years and I can never get it to look anything remotely like a crepe or a pancake or french toast! It looks like sweet scrambled eggs to me and that just grosses me out mentally.

Any tips?

Lindzzy 01-23-2010 10:53 AM

These are great

I tired these this morning and I really enjoyed them! Had them with a cup of coffee and some turkey bacon. A great breakfast for a Saturday morning!

valley 04-06-2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsisaac (Post 2614632)
This tasted so good this morning! I'm a real breakfast foods person and I'm so happy that I found this recipe. I'm curious to hear if anyone has any suggestions for a good sugar-free syrup. I tried the Smuckers brand first and it was pretty good. Any other suggestions?

Jessica

I use Maple Grove Farms SF syrup. I've tried SF Log Cabin and SF Mrs. Butterworths and neither one can compare...MGF has a lot of flavor for a SF syrup! :)

valley 04-10-2010 07:15 PM

I took a picture when I made them..they taste more like french toast than pancakes to me. The picture is of only 2 but the batter made 5 of the same size (this is a 10 inch dinner plate)...I ate 3 before I thought to take a picture!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...Picture024.jpg

dragonfly21 04-21-2010 10:27 AM

wow, i was scared to try these- but they were just what i needed to curb a sweet breakfast craving. dont expect ihop- but they'll do!! thanks for this recipe!

CatMat 04-21-2010 03:03 PM

My daughter and I made them with pureed FF cottage cheese instead of ricotta - and added a pinch of salt. She likes the taste better than the ricotta. They're just what the doctor ordered when you can't face another egg/veg combo!

LindsaysMommy 07-21-2010 03:35 PM

Thanks for posting the recipe.

lazylioness 10-01-2010 06:45 PM

I made these, each batch made five "pancakes". They were good. What I did however, was blend some ricotta with a packet of splenda and added some orange zest. I got the idea because one of my favorite restaurants has cream cheese/marmalade stuffed french toast.
They are a bit much and next time I will use ff or lf cream cheese because ricotta has an odd texture.
I used three of the pancakes as a serving and that was too much. So I think that the above recipe is great for serving 2

MakingChanges888 10-06-2010 08:34 PM

I'm really impressed with this recipe. I just made it for the first time and it was delicious. I agree that they're more like french toast than pancakes, which is fine w/ me because I love french toast! I bought Maple Grove Farms butter flavored sugar free syrup - it's made with splenda and actually has a pretty decent flavor

SunnyDC 10-24-2010 11:47 PM

i don't do SB, but i could def. make this atkins friendly. gonna try it for sure.

singledigitsizesoon 01-13-2011 11:30 AM

made a small change but sooo delish!!!

i've been lurking for a few days, but had to register just so i could share my take on this.

my recipe was altered as follows

1 egg
1 egg without yolk
tbl ricotta part skim
dash of vanilla extract
dash of cinnamon
bit of orange zest as recommended by another poster

i put it in the cuisinart and swooshed it around for a bit. it was a very thin mix.

i then poured half in to the pan (a smaller pan, maybe 6 or 8 inches) and swirled around like i was making crepe. in a few minutes, it was nice and pancake-golden brown on the underside. flipped and cooked for a few on the other side.

i didn't have SF maple syrup, so i used just a tiny bit of real stuff. however, with the orange zest, that wasn't really needed at all, as i found.

i really did not want to eat more eggs today and THIS totally hit the spot. i felt like i was eating fancyschmancy french toast or crepes. the orange and the cinnamon kind of cover up the egg taste and if you get it thin enough, it's not really an egg texture.

good luck to everyone who tries it!

NicoleInCt 02-20-2011 08:43 AM

Thank You!!!

I am not an egg person; I eat them in things but not alone...so the first week of South Beach has been a bit challenging in the morning. Somehow Black Bean Soup just doesn't cut it at 8 am. I found this recipe this morning while my family was having crepes, and it was great! I put a lot of cinnamon with one full egg and one egg white, half a packet of splenda, half tsp vanilla, and 1/8 cup of LF ricotta. I used a handy mixer to make them light and airy. I poured all of the batter into a large frying pan. It came out perfect!!! And with SF syrup, it didn't taste too egg-y! THANK YOU!!!

crissy71 06-24-2011 04:16 PM

I tried this today, using vanilla flavored stevia for sweetener. they were fantastic. Yep, felt like I was cheating.:devil:

jyoyo78 06-25-2011 12:10 PM

Yum! Didn't have any ricotta cheese in the house, used lf cream cheese instead and mixed in my magic bullet. They were fluffier than when I used ricotta the last time I made these. Not sure if the fluff came from the cream cheese...or from mixing in the magic bullet...but they're delicious :)

Stopfat 06-25-2011 12:21 PM

These sound great! I can't wait to try them. I always thought the SB souffle (made with ricotta and egg) tasted "bread-y", but never thought of using that type of mixture as a bread/pancake substitute!
Thanks for sharing the recipes!

sjpapmom 07-16-2011 08:48 AM

eggo had a fat free syrup or try agave syrup.

philana 07-16-2011 09:19 AM

This is great!
I just made my own variation, because I didn't have ricotta I used a tablespoon of greek yoghurt. And I added in small pieces of apple, and had some honey topping. Was the perfect saturday-afternoon snack!

southmplsgirl 08-19-2011 12:14 PM

I made these this morning, but omitted the cinnamon and added 2 Tbsp of peanut butter....awesome!

Belinda145 03-28-2012 08:09 PM

I just made these for my breakfast tomorrow and they are yummy, my 19 year old son liked them to. My only question is how many servings does these make?

CyndiM 03-28-2012 08:58 PM

from the original recipe:
Quote:

Edited by Ruth. 05/05/23
This is for a single serving.
226 calories, 10 grams of fat, 5 grams carbs and 27 gram of protein when made with part skim ricotta.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belinda145 (Post 4271586)
I just made these for my breakfast tomorrow and they are yummy, my 19 year old son liked them to. My only question is how many servings does these make?

indiegrlx 04-14-2012 11:02 AM

Texture

It tasted good, but the texture threw me off. :-) I'd still make it again. Lord knows if you don't come up with new things on this diet you fall off the wagon.

brirex89 02-08-2014 11:23 PM

I make this recipe alllll the time and it's perfect when you are craving something sweet for breakfast :)

I made some changes as the 4 egg recipe I made the first time was too much for me to finish. I cut the recipe in half and also use more ricotta than halving the recipe would have... I found this give the pancakes a better form and the texture is less eggy.

Halved recipe with tweak:

2 egg whites
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup ricotta fat free
1/2 tsp vanilla
dash of cinnamon

I mix it all with a hand mixer and split this into two pancakes in a small skillet. Swirl around the mixture as it starts to cook so that it can get firm before you try to flip it. I LOVE THIS RECIPE! :D

kittycatkitty 09-20-2019 11:09 AM

I love to cook and often look for new recipes for myself. I recently found this recipe and really enjoyed it.

club.cooking/recipe/rice-cooker-pancakes/
I advise you to try.

Steps
Step 1
In a bowl, mix together eggs and milk until completely blended. Add in remaining ingredients and mix until only small lumps remain.

Step 2