Healthy Hash

• After too many omelettes to count, I came up with this breakfast dish. It reminded me of the way I used to cook canned corned beef hash...with the eggs cooked on top in "nests."

I never measure, so these are estimates...just use what you like!

1/2 T. olive oil
    1/2 C. sliced mushrooms
    1/2 C. diced red pepper
    2 oz. thin sliced or shaved ham (low fat, of course)
    2 T. shredded cheese (use your favorite...I used Gruyere)
    5-6 cherry tomatoes, halved (or 1/2 med. tomato, chopped and seeded)
    2 eggs

Heat olive oil in small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Saute mushrooms and red pepper until mushrooms are slightly brown and peppers are soft. Tear or cut ham into bite-sized pieces, add to skillet and cook until it is lightly browned. Add tomatoes, cook until heated through. Add cheese and stir.

Make 2 "nests" or depressions in your "hash" for the eggs. Break eggs on top of your ham mixture. Season lightly with salt and pepper if desired. Cover pan and turn heat to low. Cook until eggs whites are cooked and the yolk is as solid as you like. This takes about 5-7 minutes! Enjoy!
  • I made this on the weekend - it was really good. This morning, I added low fat salami instead of the ham which was also really yummy as an alternative.

Thanks
  • I tried it this morning. I added a strip of turkey bacon instead of ham and threw in some leeks with the vegetables. Very good!