3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Breakfast Ideas - Phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/breakfast-ideas-phase-1-128/)
-   -   Spinach and Cheese Squares (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/breakfast-ideas-phase-1/171075-spinach-cheese-squares.html)

MJMS 04-18-2009 10:05 AM

Spinach and Cheese Squares

This recipe came from a local hospital newsletter. I believe because of the flour, it would be considered Phase 2. [but if you use arrowroot, it should be fine in Phase 1] I haven't made it without the flour, but I think it would work without it since it is such a small amount and then it would be Phase 1. I substitute whole wheat flour for the all purpose called for in the recipe and I also cut the margarine down to 2 tablespoons without a problem. The first time I made it, I mistakenly mixed the parmesan cheese in instead of sprinkling it on top. When I made it again, I decided I liked the cheese mixed in with a little on the top better. I also cut down on the pepper a bit. The taste is pronounced with a 1/2 teaspoon so add to your taste.

This goes together really quickly and makes a nice breakfast, side dish or snack. Just heat a serving in the microwave and you are good to go. It keeps well in the fridge for several days.

Spinach and Cheese Squares

2 10oz. packages frozen chopped spinach
1 pound small curd, low-fat cottage cheese
1/3 cup feta or cheddar cheese (I use low-fat)
16 oz. Egg substitute (Egg Beaters type) or 8 large eggs
1/4 chopped scallions or small onion
3 Tablespoons melted margarine (without trans fat)
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon all purpose flour (sub whole wheat) [In P1, just sub arrowroot to thicken]
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dill

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thaw, drain and press spinach in a sieve to squeeze out excess water. In a large bowl, mix egg substitute, cottage cheese, feta or cheddar cheese, and scallion. Add melted margarine, flour, pepper, and dill. Fold in spinach. Spray a 9 inch by 9 inch or a 12 inch by 8 inch pan with non-stick spray. Pour mixture into pan and smooth out the top. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake for about 50 minutes. Allow to cool a bit and cut into 12 servings. Refrigerate leftovers. The calorie count is listed at 94 per serving, but that is with full fat cheese, so a little less with low-fat.

I enjoy this very much and I hope you will, too!
MJMS

lorijds 08-25-2009 02:35 PM

Thanks for this. It looks great and I'm copying it to my recipe file!

sarahyu 08-31-2009 01:18 PM

I made this on Sat. I used frozen chopped collard greens instead of spinach. Only because I accidently bought a few weeks ago...someone had stuck it in the spinach pile and when I bought 3 bags of frozen spinach I didn't check to make sure all 3 bags were spinach. Oh, well. Actually it turned out great. It didn't have that grassy taste that you sometimes get with frozen spinach.