Old 05-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #1  
Just Beachy...

S/C/G: 210/188/164 (mini goal)

Height: 5'6"

Default Breakfast Supreme Casserole

Mine is in the refrigerator as we "speak". I am planning on letting it refrigerate for only 3 hours, as I would like it for dinner tonight and breakfast tomorrow.

Breakfast Supreme Casserole (from Allrecipes)
12 servings

Ingredients:
1 pound turkey sausage (I used about 3/4# mild Italian poultry sausage)
1 pound lean ground beef (or other lean ground meat)
1 small onion, chopped
3/4 cup (or more) sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup (or more) chopped green pepper (I used a whole red pepper)
1 teaspoon salt (I omitted)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray or Smart Balance, melted
2 cups shredded reduced-fat or FF Cheddar cheese, divided (I used about 1.5 cups)
12 eggs
2/3 cup fat-free half and half (this for 12 servings so I figured that I'd keep it as we are allotted 2T/day)

Directions:
1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, beef, onion, mushrooms and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in salt and pepper; set aside.
2. Pour butter substitute into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. beat eggs; pour over cheese. Top with sausage mixture. Pour the cream over sausage mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until set. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

UPDATE: I just finished cooking it and, IMO, it was fine at 3 hours refrigeration with 15 minutes out of the refrigerator before baking. I cooked mine probably about 50 minutes (timer went off and I didn't hear and then I added another 7 minutes to be on the safe side). The consistency was perfect. I am not really sure what the FFHH did for it...possibly a custard-like top layer...I'd have no problem omitting that next time. It is a little bland for me (next time I'll try to find hot Italian poultry sausage and add garlic and more spices) but my kids are gobbling it up...so it is a winner!! Next time I am going to add more veggies...peppers, mushrooms, maybe spinach. I am just sooooo excited that it actually cooked through and came out of the pan, as I have a VERY poor track record with breakfast casseroles and the mini egg cups!! WHOO HOO!! ENJOY!!

Last edited by 262mom2three; 05-03-2009 at 07:43 PM.
262mom2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #2  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I wish I had seen this before my grocery shop it sounds so good!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote