Old 06-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking Farmer’s Cheese Pancakes

Got this from the SBD Daily Dish of 6/24/09:

Quote:
Farmer’s Cheese Pancakes (Phase 1)

Description
These delicious pancakes can be served flat or rolled up. The creamy, semisoft version of farmer’s cheese is best here; it can be found in the dairy section of most supermarkets.
Serves 4

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes

Ingredients
6 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup semisoft farmer’s cheese
2 teaspoons granular sugar substitute

Instructions
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, 2/3 cup of the cheese, and the sugar substitute. Lightly coat an 8" nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Spoon 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan and cook until pancake is set and edges are starting to turn golden, about 2 minutes. Loosen with a rubber spatula and flip; cook 1 minute more. Transfer pancake to a heatproof platter and place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat for remaining pancakes.

Divide pancakes among 4 plates. Dollop with remaining cheese. Serve warm.

Nutritional information:
Per 2-pancake serving: 206 calories
12 g fat (5 g sat)
2 g carbohydrate
19 g protein
0 g fiber
340 mg sodium
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

I'm going to look for 'farmer's cheese', but don't think I've ever seen it. What is it like? Ricotta? Cream cheese? Cottage?
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #3  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

The type of Farmer's cheese I buy (Friendship brand) is similar in texture to fresh mozzarella. I never tried softening it like you would cream cheese so I don't know if it would work in this recipe.

Farmer cheese is also very easy to make. It is very common in Lithuanian (me) & Polish (DH) kitchens. Here's a recipe for homemade Farmer's cheese but make sure you read the reviews for some very helpful hints & tips. The homemade Farmer's cheese is soft similar in texture & taste to ricotta.

p.s. as the homemade cheese only lasts about a week, I make a half batch of this recipe.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Have you ever tried it with 2% milk? I'm hesitant to make something with this much fat though the recipe is very tempting.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #5  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

I make mine with 2% milk. Of course whole milk is tastier. Tried it with fat free milk and it didn't really come out well. Haven't tried 1%...don't know why. Make sure the milk is regular milk and not ultra-pasteurized...it will never work.

One of the reviews suggests using buttermilk. I've been meaning to try that but haven't yet.

ETA: It took me several tries before it came out how I like. My biggest mistake was not heating the milk enough (the drained whey should be yellowish not white-ish). What I eventually also learned is that if it doesn't curdle/set up enough when draining you can dump the whole thing back into the pot & try again.

The cheese can also be pressed if you want a more solid cheese. It's tasty both ways.

Last edited by mizski; 06-24-2009 at 02:11 PM.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Chelby, I buy Friendship brand like Cyndi. It's like a mix between cream cheese and cottage cheese. If you can't find it, I'd try mixing half 1/3 less fat cream cheese and 1% cottage cheese.

You might also look online for {replacement and "farmer's cheese"} (without brackets).
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #7  
Determined to lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
Have you ever tried it with 2% milk? I'm hesitant to make something with this much fat though the recipe is very tempting.
I don't see milk in the recipe? Am I missing something?
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Loriann, if you are going to make Farmer's Cheese from scratch, one of the ingredients is milk, and that's what Cyndi is referring to.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Do you think these would be good the next day? Or is it something that needs to be eaten right afterwards?

I tend to try to cook in batches and make up as much as possible on the weekend so I have plenty of options through the week.

If I find milk on sale, I'll make some of the farmers cheese. It sounds interesting.

Thanks
Sarah in MD

Last edited by sarahyu; 08-28-2009 at 12:04 PM.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #10  

Default farmer's cheese

Hi, this is regarding the farmer's cheese recipe. I was reading the recipe on how to make farmer's cheese, it seems to be PANEER which can be found in Indian grocery stores in the frozen section.
ashsam is offline   Reply With Quote