Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-22-2006, 09:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default After weight loss breast augmentation

I was reading an issue of People magazine, profiling people who have lost weight. It seems to be somewhat of a trend that when people have plastic surgery to remove excess skin, they always get a boob job. Not so much to regain the "perkiness" ( how i hate that word ), but to increase size...why is this?

Is it because a larger person is used to being more busty and then are not as comfortable with a smaller size?

I'm just curious is all
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:55 PM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

Hmmm, another way we're all different. I've been fat, I've been thin - since I grew breasts I've been large. I went from flat-chested to a C cup in the summer between 7th and 8th grade. Moved up over the years to DD, and have stayed there. It doesn't seem to matter if I weigh 140 or 240 (the band size changes, but not the cup size). I'm 61 now, and losing again - sigh - and maybe this time I lose some breast fat??? Please.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:01 PM   #3  

Its something I'd definitely consider. I've gone from a D cup already (i never had that big boobs) to an A cup and the boobs seem to be the first place it goes from. Its not just a matter of not feeling confident its not filling out clothes etc. But like Meg said I really don't want boobs that look unnatural so I'll wait til I have the money to see someone decent to get them done. I want to look nice and normal.
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:08 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Since losing weight, my boobs are just mostly skin with a little fat. I was a full 42DD to start with. Now I am more a 36D and they are too loose in the cups. The extra skin is the part I don't like. I could be happy with a C cup and am considering a breast lift. When I lay down, I feel like I have 2 poached eggs under my arms. I am happy with how the rest of my body looks and feel that for me, the surgery would be worth it.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:21 PM   #5  

I had the same thing happen to me that Meg experienced. Not much left after I lost the weight - and I was hard pressed to fill out an A cup. And I liked it. I did not miss the burden!

My plastic surgeon said implants were the way to go - small ones. I opted against it at the time, but I would consider it again someday if I decide to do some more "work." I want to wait until after I have decided about having children.

Anyway that is why people who lose a lot of weight need implants - because when you reduce your body fat as low as some of us here did, the boobs just become empty.

(one benefit of me being back above 150 again - they're coming back! :lol)
Diamonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #6  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I have to admit that if I was only going to have one sort of cosmetic surgery it would be a breast enlargement. As it is, I'm not sure I'm going to have anything, but speaking hypothetically, it would be the boobs.

I was never particularly busty when I was bigger, and now I struggle to fill an A cup. It can make finding dresses in particular hard because either the top gapes or the waist/hip/stomach area is too tight. There's just nothing there, and particularly in a sports bra I can pull off an almost entirely flat chested look. I guess it's nice in that I can get away with tops with strangely located straps without a bra, but sometimes I do think that it would be nice to have something in my bra!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Okay, since I'm absolutely KNOW I'm getting reconstructive surgery, I'll tell you how I feel about it. At first, when I began thinking about getting the body lift and such, I was absolutely against getting implants. I can't stand men looking at my breasts. I want to punch them everytime their eyes wander down . . . BUT now that I'm 30 pounds away from goal, my boobs are just a tennis ball of fat and the rest is ridiculously loose skin. I'm still in a C/D cup because of all the loose skin. I don't want to be an A cup when I get the skin removed, so I've decided, like Meg, to get the smallest implant possible, and I still haven't gotten comfortable with the idea of having a foreign object inside of my body. I'm also concerned of having a natural look. I don't want big, fake looking boobs. I wonder why women just don't put two huge neon flashing bulbs on their chests if that want that much attention. It's going to be awhile, so I have more time for the idea to absorb, but I'm still anxious about it. I'll also need to hear the doctor's opinion as well, but from the state of them now, I don't see how I would be able to avoid getting implants. But I don't want them big, but I do see why some big losers would want the extra attention, especially if they felt ignored by men before.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:17 PM   #8  

Height: 5'8"

I'm the same as WaterRat, THANK GOODNESS b/c I'm only an A cup now, but I was the same 50 lbs lighter. If I were to lose that I'll be in the negative!!! LOL
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:58 PM   #9  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I almost am in the negative! My ribs are pretty big and from certain angles my bottom rib sticks out more than my boobs .

I'm not so bothered about having "foreign objects", I've already got a load of metal in my ankle, it's only the cost that puts me off. Nice as it would be, I have a thousand and one things I'd rather spend the money on at the moment. If I had the money, that is
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:52 PM   #10  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Gosh.. I never even considered this possibility. It sure is nice to hear from those more experienced. I am already losing in this area. I sure don't mind so far, but I'd like to have a little something there in the end.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:36 PM   #11  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Height: 5'7"

I choise my goal weight based SOLEY on this topic. 10 years ago I went from 200lbs to 135. I was wearing a 4/6. My poor boobies went from a DD to a B. They where like empty bags of flesh. (ew) I'm perfectly happy 175 size 12 with 34 DD (right now we are a 36F). Have you ever seen a breat lift??? Oh my, ouchy!!
Stevi-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:11 AM   #12  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I have actually thought about having a breast reduction for years. My sister had one a few years ago and was really pleased with the results. When I started losing weight I was somewhere around a 38DD/36DDD. After weight loss, I am a 34DD. My boobs are kind of deflated looking and have a lot of extra skin though, which really bothers me. I would love to have a lift to tighten up that extra skin, which would probably reduce me to a D, or even better a reduction so I could be a 34C. However, I'm only 23, and I plan on having children in the future, so I don't want to waste money on a breast lift and reduction if having children is just going to completely undo the effects. But it is kind of depressing how saggy they are and how all the extra skin kind of hangs around and looks wrinkly.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:48 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Thank you to everyone for thier input. I understand more now. I think in the article I read, it seemed like the woman went to what I considered an extreme ( B to a DD, i think ). I've never had much of a chest, but I've also never had that much weight to lose that would really influence my chest so much. At 220 I wore a D, and at 135 I wore a B. For the way I looked at 135 a C or larger would be disproportionate. I think that's a big thing with it, too..everyone's body is different...

It's interesting to know that boobs are prone to deflate as the fat goes away. I never really thought about it, but there is more effected than just the size alone.

This really openned my eyes up and I'm glad I asked.
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:32 AM   #14  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I don't know if anyone experienced improvement over time, but I used to hate my "after" breasts. They were similar to what Meg described- deflated sacks. I went from a borderline 40D to a 34b and that's even pushing it. And they weren't pretty. I don't know if my piece of mind and sense of self is more lined up with my actual body or the exercise or what, but they don't look so bad anymore. Go know.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:42 AM   #15  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Junebug, I've seen some modest improvement in mine over the last 9 months. I've been noticing lately that when I'm wearing a bra the skin looks less wrinkly than it used to. I went from a 42DD to a 34D and I know I'd lose *at least* a cup size if I had them lifted. There's definitely been some improvement though
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote