Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 01-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #1  
Wish me Luck

S/C/G: 330/16/200

Height: 5'10"

Default Once I reach goal I may consider surgery

I've always wanted to avoid surgery for my weight. But I think that after I put in all this time and effort to lose over 100 pounds that I will consider having loose skin removed and lipo to tuck up some areas.

Did anyone think they wouldn't have skin removal surgery but changed their minds when they reached their goals?

Yeah I know I won't ever be walking around in a bikini because I'm naturally a big girl and a size 18 would be heaven to me....but I still don't want flab hanging off me if I can help it.

Thanks!
FatinSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #2  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

I definitely want surgery to remove the excess skin.
I feel that I've lost all this weight and look good in clothes but when clothing removed I feel like a guy who took off his Toupe and people are shocked to see the real deal!
I want to be able to not be self conscious to remove my clothes.
I feel if I have all this extra skin hanging the job is not completed.
I liken it to painting a room a pretty color but you know the holes and cracks in the walls should have been prepped and patched ,looks good from a distance but not a professional looking job.

Last edited by Roo2; 05-02-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #3  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

Wish it was an option, my friend had a tummy tuck and when she wore a bikini at the spa last week I was so jealous. Her stomach is super flat. I am just gonna have to keep trying to tighten things up. Hate my saggy belly, so obvious it housed 3 kids. I can deal with my under arms and thighs but my lower tummy bugs me. I would probably do it if I could afford it. Although my friend was in so much pain and suffered an infection too, that made me kinda think twice.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #4  
it's my time to shine!

S/C/G: 240/150/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatinSTL View Post
I've always wanted to avoid surgery for my weight. But I think that after I put in all this time and effort to lose over 100 pounds that I will consider having loose skin removed and lipo to tuck up some areas.

Did anyone think they wouldn't have skin removal surgery but changed their minds when they reached their goals?

Yeah I know I won't ever be walking around in a bikini because I'm naturally a big girl and a size 18 would be heaven to me....but I still don't want flab hanging off me if I can help it.

Thanks!
*raises hand*

I NEVER thought I would EVER have cosmetic surgery and here I sit 3 months out from having surgery.

It's the best decision I have made aside from getting healthy.

Mom3LoveBugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #5  

Does your insurance usually cover any of the costs or is it the same as cosmetic surgery?

I know if I did weightloss surgery, the excess skin was going to be covered. But since I was doing it on my own through a nutrionist and doctor's office, there was a debate about it and probably not covered. (How fair is that!?)
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #6  
Wish me Luck

S/C/G: 330/16/200

I know it is cosmetic and my insurance would not cover it. I would most likely have to go with financing either through the Dr's office or getting a low interest loan to cover it.

My mother also had a tummy tuck and suffered an infection and even had to wear a wound vac because the sutures didn't close properly.

But, I wouldn't be getting a tummy tuck because I haven't had children. I just want excess skin and a little lipo for that "hard fat" that doesn't burn off and may stay forever no matter what.

I may be a year or two from my goal, so I also have time to pay off bills and save up what I can to go towards the surgery. It's going to be like going on a shopping spree when I reach my goal weight and start to maintain!

It may be expensive but I feel like once I do all this weight loss that I've earned it for myself. :-)
FatinSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I never in a MILLION years thought that I would ever have any form of cosmetic surgery. And to be honest, I was even a bit judgemental about people who have had cosmetic surgery. But when I lost all the weight and saw the massive amounts of excess skin that truly interfered with my quality of life, I went for it.

There was some guilt for spending that amount of money on myself - especially since I see the skin as being my fault - but it has been life changing.

The surgery was around $12,000 and my insurance paid $1,000.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #8  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

I'm open to it (providing I can actually afford it once I reach goal) but it all depends on what the skin looks like or how it hangs once I get there.
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #9  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

I would consider it. I have heard rumors that there is some sort of thing here in Sask where if you lose 100 lbs or more and keep it off for a year, you can qualify for a "free" tummy tuck. I have no idea if its true and what sort of rules apply but it defiantly has made me think about it!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #10  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

I want the complete transformation and for me that means getting rid of the excess skin.
Yes it's a lot of money but so was all the extra food I shoveled down .
I have spent a lot of time and energy into losing this weight and I don't want a daily reminder of my Fatsuit.
Not vain just believe in being truthful.
People have reconstructive for Breast Ca,Burn Victims have skin grafts to give themselves a more aesthetic appearance,and the list goes on.
I want to rid myself of the Elephant looking skin .
I have been so impressed with the women who have posted their post surgical pictures.
Roo2

Last edited by Roo2; 01-23-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 277/ticker/135

Honestly, I never thought I'd want or need cosmetic surgery after losing weight. Despite being 277 lbs, I had somehow convinced myself that I wasn't fat enough to have excess skin when all was said and done. Boy was I wrong. I'm down about 80 lbs with another 60 to go. My arms and butt will be just fine, and my upper thighs will probably "bounce back" without a problem, but I already know that my stomach is going to be a BIG issue.

Most of my excess weight was (well, is) carried on my torso. I've got a very large "hanging" section underneath my belly button, and I'm fairly certain that this part in particular is beyond the recommended "give the skin a year to tighten up." It doesn't help that I had a c-section nine months ago.

Once I get to goal (and am done having children), I will probably look into surgery and start saving up.
allieballiebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

AllieballieBee - Actually if you have to have future children with a c-section, you can actually have a plastic surgeon come sew you up and remove some excess skin. Its expensive but you are already cut open so why not!
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #13  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I know this is a revived older thread, but it's really interesting.

It's interesting to me how people can get anesthesia for giving birth and even get a C-section basically at request that costs gobs of money and is totally not necessary, yet people who have a lot of loose skin can't get insurance coverage for skin removal. Especially when it is extreme loose skin.

My other problem, besides the lack of insurance is that I know my husband would never support spending money on it. Just like he didn't support fertility tests and possible fertility treatment for a second pregnancy (my kids are nearly 9 years apart - took us almost 3 years to conceive our second son).

If I had "issues" with loose skin - like sores, impaired movement, etc, then he probably would, but it is 100% superficial, cosmetic. I HATE, HATE, HATE how my bat wings wobble. It is horrible. I've never seen another person with the kind of arms I have in the gyms or about. My stomach I could probably live with, but if I had a choice I would get a tuck. It's a mess. I have a gazillion stretch marks from having babies and then the loose skin. It is like a pleated lamp shade and saggy (though not much doubling over of the skin).

Of course, if I got those done, then I would probably start eyeballing the jiggly thighs which seem minor compared to tummy and arms, but would bug me if the rest were tight. Sigh...

But... it's not an option. Kid's college tuitions come first and then the rest of life, etc.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

I really, really, really want something done with my stomach. I haven't lost nearly as much weight as you ladies, but my stomach is just not the same as it was before I gained and lost 30 lbs. a couple of times. I have upper and lower stomachs even though my waist is only 29". I think a little lipo would do it, but I just can't justify the cost right now, and my (usually mostly supportive) boyfriend has told me I'd be on my own for recovery because he doesn't believe in cosmetic surgery.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #15  
Patience & Tenacity

S/C/G: 386/T/154

Height: 5'6"

I am planning on surgery. I've besn fat for ever and on the 300s almost 15 years (christ! it hurts to write that)

I feel very fortunate that my parents can help me out with this. My father even opened a savings account a couple years ago when I announced "This is it! I'm doing it!"

I plan to do whatever abdominal procedure I need to clean up the mess that will be my stomach. I carry a majority of my weight there and have a big apron.

If I need skin removed from my arms, I'll get that too.

I'm definitely getting a boob job.

I'm not scared of scars. I already have a million little stretch mark scars.

Last edited by FrecklesTX; 05-27-2013 at 11:13 AM.
FrecklesTX is offline   Reply With Quote