Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 03-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #61  

This thread is so helpful. I'm in the middle of my weightloss but seeing the progress everyone has made is amazing. Thank you for doing this, Melissa and thank you to all the contributors.

Amandie----you are looking good!!! Do you do arm exercises? I would give anything for my arms to look as buff as yours! You are going to be even more gorgeous at goal!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #62  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Waiting to hear from more maintainers, but glad some are popping in to check out the thread.

Amandie - I think you are going to be lucky in the loose skin dept. Especially with the arms.

That's one of the reasons I wanted to do this thread - we are all so individual, that it is not a given how ANY of us will bounce back (or not bounce back).

Hoping more and more people will jump in here. It is super helpful. And I don't think it would discourage people even if it isn't "pretty". I think all of us would agree that have been through it, it's way better to have the loose skin than the fat for our health, how we feel and how we look.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #63  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Thank you all!!! It was a bit nerve-wracking but I am glad I shared.

Elvislover- Thank you! I did them along with the rest of the body in the beginning with 3-5lb weights, resistance bands, weighted balance balls, body weight exercises, etc. in the beginning but stopped over a year ago. The only arm exercises I get is from cleaning and playing in a dart league 2 times a week, lol. I want and need to get back to my old routine very soon.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #64  
I got this

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
... I think all of us would agree that have been through it, it's way better to have the loose skin than the fat for our health, how we feel and how we look.
I definitely agree!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #65  

Ok yikes, here we go. FEEL FREE to comment as you like (just don't be mean) because i'm not posting for compliments although any praise for accomplishments would be greatly appreciated

How much have you lost? 100 lbs
How old were you when you lost the weight? 49-50
How long were you at your high weight? probably at least 15 yrs
Are you still losing weight? possibly but not trying
How long did it take you to lose the weight? maybe 1.5 yrs or less
Did you have weight loss surgery?no
Do you have pregnancy stretch marks?never been pregnant
Do you have weight gain stretch marks?yes i think so but not hugely so
If you are in maintenance, how long have you been maintaining? was "at maintenance" at 172 lbs for 4 or so months then re

Recently lost 12 more

i'm almost 51. Around a size 12 but probably more like a size 10 now depending on what brand/style jeans. i try to exercise every day but i have CFS and it does make me sick to exercise although i do it anyway. i also do some weights and am trying to do more as best i can.
please forgive the "granny pants" as i'm sure some would call them, i'm older and have no idea what is "cool" now as far as undies, LOL.
As you can see there's a bit of saggy skin in the inner thighs and not much on the upper arms and i'm starting to get good tone in them and what i hate is i've lost my butt (hoping to gain it with squats and deadlifts) but a lot of that is due to age and inactivity for 15 yrs due to CFS. My main gripe is my tummy, it makes me feel almost like i'm not at goal sometimes. it is kind of "saggy" and obviously i didn't show the lower abdomen where it is most wrinkly but that part doesn't bother me as much because it's covered up by jeans or what-not, i hate the spare saggy skin around/above the belly button because it kind of just ruins the look of nice tight T's, etc. you can kind of see it in one of the pics (look kind of where i'm standing where the blue blanket is on the chair (my cat's cat cave, LOL)

i don't know if i could stand to lose MORE and some more of it would disappear? But the rest of me is already slim, i'm HOPING that maybe with more physical activity and TIME..the slack will tighten just a bit but anyway let me know your thoughts...

Last edited by 3fcuser291505109; 04-09-2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: photo's removed
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #66  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReillyJ View Post
Ok yikes, here we go. FEEL FREE to comment as you like (just don't be mean) because i'm not posting for compliments although any praise for accomplishments would be greatly appreciated

How much have you lost? 100 lbs
How old were you when you lost the weight? 49-50
How long were you at your high weight? probably at least 15 yrs
Are you still losing weight? possibly but not trying
How long did it take you to lose the weight? maybe 1.5 yrs or less
Did you have weight loss surgery?no
Do you have pregnancy stretch marks?never been pregnant
Do you have weight gain stretch marks?yes i think so but not hugely so
If you are in maintenance, how long have you been maintaining? was "at maintenance" at 172 lbs for 4 or so months then recently lost 12 more

i'm almost 51. Around a size 12 but probably more like a size 10 now depending on what brand/style jeans. i try to exercise every day but i have CFS and it does make me sick to exercise although i do it anyway. i also do some weights and am trying to do more as best i can.
please forgive the "granny pants" as i'm sure some would call them, i'm older and have no idea what is "cool" now as far as undies, LOL.
As you can see there's a bit of saggy skin in the inner thighs and not much on the upper arms and i'm starting to get good tone in them and what i hate is i've lost my butt (hoping to gain it with squats and deadlifts) but a lot of that is due to age and inactivity for 15 yrs due to CFS. My main gripe is my tummy, it makes me feel almost like i'm not at goal sometimes. it is kind of "saggy" and obviously i didn't show the lower abdomen where it is most wrinkly but that part doesn't bother me as much because it's covered up by jeans or what-not, i hate the spare saggy skin around/above the belly button because it kind of just ruins the look of nice tight T's, etc. you can kind of see it in one of the pics (look kind of where i'm standing where the blue blanket is on the chair (my cat's cat cave, LOL)

i don't know if i could stand to lose MORE and some more of it would disappear? But the rest of me is already slim, i'm HOPING that maybe with more physical activity and TIME..the slack will tighten just a bit but anyway let me know your thoughts...
Susie, I think you look fantastic. I think most everybody, especially those of us who have lost as much weight as you, would be thrilled to have your results from weight loss. I can tell you right now that your pictures are going to be very encouraging for a lot of people.

P.S. If you hadn't posted your age, I would have guessed that you were in your 30s.

Last edited by joefla70; 03-21-2013 at 09:37 PM.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #67  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Susie, if I were wearing the same sort of bra and undies (and I were back to my 165ish weight) we would look like body doubles! How funny is that? And I think you look great! Which means, I must mean I don't think I look too shabby either (when I get back down to my goal weight).

Thank you so much for sharing!

I know you are wearing "granny" undies, but do you have an apron? or no? I kind of tucked my undies under/down to show the apron on the tummy. You can't see it if I wear things normally - only when naked and I wasn't going to shoot a naked shot!
Melissa no you don't look too shabby at all!! And thank you for the compliment. i haven't looked that good in years but if i really start looking at myself i will pick myself apart until i have no self esteem left so i'm best not staring at them, LOL

Yes, kind of an apron, not a full one and it did shrink the more i lost but it's kind of more of a saggy pouch instead of a full on apron i would think, it does get smaller. And i'm always wondering about losing more to see if the "gut" shrinks more although i'm thinking i will never have that dream abdomen and to just get over it :\

Thank you also to joefla 70 for your kind words

i hope more post, it's nice to see what "real" people look like
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #68  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Susie, if I were wearing the same sort of bra and undies (and I were back to my 165ish weight) we would look like body doubles! How funny is that? And I think you look great! Which means, I must mean I don't think I look too shabby either (when I get back down to my goal weight).

Thank you so much for sharing!

I know you are wearing "granny" undies, but do you have an apron? or no? I kind of tucked my undies under/down to show the apron on the tummy. You can't see it if I wear things normally - only when naked and I wasn't going to shoot a naked shot!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #69  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

Hey Susie! I think you look great and since I have similar starting stats ( within an inch and about a 5lb difference) and similar goals that is really encouraging. Would you say you are an apple type? I think your stomach is pretty amazing especially for 100lbs down. I am not even halfway there. Your pics give me hope.

Berryblonde great thread!!
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #70  
I got this

Susie- I think you look absolutely great! I totally second everything Joe said in his post especially the 30s part! PS, I do not consider these to be granny undies at all. To me, granny undies are the kind that go way over your bellybutton, covering most/half of your abdomen.

Melissa- I pulled the underwear down a bit in the front in the pics to show more of my lower stomach because you can't see it if I wear them normally too.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

This thread is great. Thank you so much Melissa for doing this.

I've been browsing the goal photo gallery on this forum and looking at the before and after fat loss tumblr and now this thread. It is amazing to see both the amazing progress we are able to make when we put our minds to it and the varying types of bodies we have.

We may not be perfect, but we are all amazing!
charliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #72  

Height: 5'4"

Wow, I thought this thread might be discouraging, but it has actually been very motivational! Several brave posters have bodies I would die for. And as Valerie Bertinelli said in an interview about weight loss "that's what spanx are for". I'm more interested in looking good in clothes than bikinis, and some of you guys look fabulous!
Monkeysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:59 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 268.2/268.2/160

Height: 5' 8''

This thread was a great idea and is very helpful
rglover641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #74  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I'm not done losing yet, but I was inspired by those who shared already so I thought I'd share my progress too!

Lost: 75 pounds from pregnancy weight, 44 from post pregnancy weight
Age at weight loss: 26
Number of years at high weight: ~2-3 years
Weight loss surgery? No
Pregnancy stretch marks? YES!!!
Fat gain stretch marks? Yes
Still losing weight: Yes, about 16-20 pounds more to go
How long did it take you to lose the weight: At the end of my pregnancy in June I topped out at 212 pounds, My weight was in the 180's in September when I decided that I needed to start losing. In the past 6 months I've lost ~44 pounds.

Ok, here goes!

Frontal Body:

[IMG][/IMG]

Side Body:

Belly Close up:

Here you can see how saggy the belly is. First the belly is at rest, then I pull up the lose skin:

So there you have it. Thanks BerryBlonde for starting this thread. I hadn't been very pleased with my post-baby, mid-weight-loss body, but while I was taking the pictures I started looking at my body differently. Like really looking at it. And you know what? As of this moment, I'm totally fine with my body. I actually like it's shape, and the belly skin doesn't really bother me anymore. I also noticed that the stretch marks are pretty faded too. After I'm done having my babies and hit long term maintenance I might think about tucking up that lose skin, but for now It's fine by me

Last edited by Missy Krissy; 03-31-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #75  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Hmm... Anyone know why my pics didn't show?

ETA - Sorry, I figured it out!

Last edited by Missy Krissy; 03-31-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote