Excess skin after weight loss

• Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone out there has lost a lot of weight(150+) but did not have excess skin on their stomach. I have 171 pounds to lose and I'm really concerned about that. I want to start saving for a tummy tuck for when I reach my goal weight, but don't think ill be able to afford it within the few years =/

Also wondering about breast appearance after such a big weight loss.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • I almost didn't want to reply because I don't want to discourage you...
    I lost 160 pounds and by the time I hit my goal, it'll be 175. I do have loose skin on my stomache but i'm told that it tightens up as you maintain (crossing fingers for that).

I don't really worry about my loose skin to be honest...Just happy i lost the weight I did. As for breast, mine ended up less perky, but they were big to begain with, and I loss fat tissue in there too...but everyone's different. Good luck
  • Hey, baker23, I saw your default picture on mybodygallery
  • Its ok. I know its way more likely that ill have excess skin. Either way, it'll be 100% better to be skinny and have excess skin then the way I am now. Thanks for the response =) this site is such a great way to help you stay motivated! So much support and its great seeing all the success stories(like yours baker 23).
  • I haven't lost as much as you asked people to respond with, but I have probably lost somewhere in the vicinity of 100lbs. I do have extra skin on my stomach, but I notice that it seems to shrink and firm up every day.

I believe that lots of strength training is helping me avoid it in other places. I have none on my arms and legs due to the heavy lifting I do. I used to carry A LOT of my weight in those places too!

That said I would much rather be here with extra skin than where I was just a little over a year ago. I feel so much better and healthier!
  • It's probably good not to go and run out to get a tummy tuck or whatever tuck too soon. Skin is slow to shrink up, and it might not do it all the way, but it could take 2-3 years. Plus, let's be honest with ourselves here, we want to be sure we can MAINTAIN our losses before cutting off parts of our body because what does our body go through if we regain? Yikes!

For what it is worth, I've lost about 100 pounds (so far) from my top weight and while I have loose skin, it's not horrendous and I have HORRIBLE stretch marks from weight gain and pregnancy and I'm 42 years old. If my bad skin is tightening back up, there is hope for most people that it will shrink up quite a bit.

And honestly? The rest of the body looks so much better, even when naked, now than when I was heavy that it hardly matters.

As far as boobs go. My boobs look better than they have in my adult life. No extra sagging here. They were always saggy (large and pointing to the ground) but they haven't gotten more saggy with weight loss. For me, since I was chesty to start out with, I didn't lose cup sizes either. Well, one, maybe. I went from a 40 G to a 34 F. (and I'm still losing weight).
  • Yea, I'm also a little scared of the loose skin, I'm hoping age and genetics are on my side. I have about 117 lbs to lose.
  • in regards to a previous comment about tummy tuck and gaining weight. had a friend who lost 100 pounds via diet and exercise. got a tummy tuck at same time as hernia surgery. lost 60 more pounds. eventually gained 60 back--- her stomach is still flat, though. we are same height, and im 10 pounds smaller, but i have pudge rolls nad she is flat tummied. maybe looks a little wider and thicker, but no rolls in the front
  • Hmm I am 37 and from my highest weight of 372 I have lost about 170-176 pounds and I really don't have alot of loose skin. I have some strech marks but the lost weight streach marks look much better than the weight gain ones...they are smaller and harder to notice. Now I have been up over the past 2 months by about 5-12 pounds (water issues because it drops away and then comes back in a day) but at my lowest weight of 193 I though my stomach was pretty darn loose but it seems to really want to tighten up or it was tightening before the water hit. I lost weight at a pretty moderate pace most of it being over 2010 and I work out several times a day but only for about 40 minutes 5 -6 days a week. Boobs still saggy but they were before, but they are smaller which I love!
  • I lost 80 lbs and have about 20 lbs of excess skin sigh. Now it's just an empty stomach but just as big. Doing Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution to see if the $150 saves me thousands of dollars in surgery.