Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 10-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #16  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

I think developing your own fashion sense will give you a clue to what type of clothing you will like. But it's hard and like anything else some people are amazing at it and others not so much. I've started just going online and looking at fashion trends, things I like etc. Watch fashion TV, talk shows, anything to just bring some awareness to fashion and what I do like or not. It's really not about what's "in" or "out" it's what you like. Maybe after your research if you nail it down to a decent outfit you would like to try on, then book a day and go shopping. Try on anything that follows along the lines of the outfit you liked. It doesn't have to be exact but it can be similar. I think the key is you have to try on different types of clothes to see what compliments your shape. Take a friend with you too and if something doesn't fit right or look good don't worry, it doesn't mean its your body it just means its not the right cut for you. It will take some trial and error but once you get the knack of it, keeping in the loop of fashion trends, seeing what's out there, becoming aware of what you really like of what's out there, finding the right cuts etc. and trying on the clothes, you may even start to really enjoy it!! That's the fun in fashion and shopping, but like anything else sometimes it takes practice. Good luck
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #17  
Iron Love Handles

S/C/G: 175

Height: 5"5'

That's a great thought - I've never purchased clothes online before. I guess you would just need your measurements?
To be honest, I hate shopping because I sort of see it as a waste of time. My life is as full as it can get with full-time school, full time work, parenthood and home renovations.
I've started to think about clothes-buying techniques because I've come to realize that looking good is important. As much as I would like to think I'm impartial, I know that *I* judge people by the way they look, and I'm sure everyone else is in the same boat. I've always believed that intelligence, passion and work ethic are all you need to succeed, but it's become evident that these will really only be noticed if people are not distracted by how messy or un-put-together you look.
ironlovehandles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #18  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

It was easier but it took some practice to understand my new body and how to dress it. For years I neglected myself especially in the wardrobe department. Keep tweaking--you will get it right.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #19  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I'm not a maintainer, but this topic is really interesting to me.

I've never dressed badly, but I've never been stylish. I'd LOVE to be, but I have pretty much always been big, and I have trouble fitting my body. Before I regained some weight, I was getting better at fitting myself. But... big is hard. And I don't have overweight friends or fashionista friends who know how to fit big people. It's a pain.

I cannot WAIT to be able to actually pick a style and dress it. Or not pick a style and dress in whatever I want because I'll be able to FIT into regular sizes! I can't even imagine all the options...
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 287/175/180

Height: 5'9"

I love shopping Especially now that I have lost weight, I always feel like I look SO different and thin/fit in dressing rooms. It's a great way to get to know your new body. The way we present ourselves to the world makes a huge difference. Perhaps that's superficial and not all that great, but it's reality. I also just find clothes shopping is great "me" time. We all need that- no matter how many other things we have going on. It's one of the benefits of being a smaller size- being able to enjoy shopping so many different places.
k8yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8yk View Post
I love shopping Especially now that I have lost weight, I always feel like I look SO different and thin/fit in dressing rooms.
I think I look pretty good for my age, but dressing rooms still usually make me look like crap. I don't know why... it seems like they usually have unflattering lighting, or maybe color choice.

I find that I am kissing a lot of toads when I shop for clothing, but once in a while, I find a Prince. I've been known to try on twenty pairs of pants to find one that I like that flatters me. Even tops, which are more forgiving, often look great on the rack but I wouldn't wear on a bet. But when I do find outfits that look great on me, it is so worth it! I guess it is like the payoff for a gambler.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #22  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

I'm going to suggest taking full-body photos of yourself in different types of clothing. I did that when I hit maintenance and was forced to buy a new wardrobe. I learned a lot about my body shape--what looks good and what looks not so good. Now I'll admit I'm a bit of a clothes horse and I went a little crazy. But in the course of it I learned the following:

If it's cheap and looks great, does it still "fit" into your wardrobe? Can you wear the piece with other things you already own? Do you really have anyplace to wear it? This is hard because it's easy to find great looking fancy clothes but that's not how I live my life. I don't have to really dress up for work very frequently. I now have an overabundance of too dressy clothes that I bought on the cheap.

I often shop with my DD24 who's quite the fashionista herself. I have to continuously remind myself that "No, I do not need to dress like a 24 year old, even though these clothes fit me." It's easy to fall into the hootchie-mama trap. She'll tell me that it's appropriate but I still have to keep in mind that I'm 48, not 28.

And most of all, have fun with it! Fashion is supposed to be fun and a way to express yourself. Go for it girl! You deserve it!

Last edited by losermom; 10-23-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: one word changes everything...
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #23  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

yep, no clue how to dress either.

I have it stuck in my head that hot pair of jeans, black heeled boots and a pretty top and I'm all set!

Can I just say...there is some butt ugly clothes out there! omg, so gross!
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 193/184/150

Height: 5"5

i think everyone has a different frame, if skinny doesnt look good on you, put on a bit of weight in a healthy way
sirius93 is offline   Reply With Quote