Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 04-04-2007, 12:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 208/142/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Question Has anyone had armlifts (brachioplasty)?

Hi! I've lost a considerable amount of weight by following a low carb diet and jogging about 2-3 times a week. Unfortunately, most of my sagging skin is on my arms and my stomach. I'm not scared of having a tummy tuck which I have programmed for June, but am not 100% sure about having an arm lift. It seems like my surgeon is trying to talk me out of it. He said the scar is very noticeable. I'm fairskinned and figure it will fade. Has anyone out there had good results? I do not feel comftorable exposing my arms so I don't wear bathing suits, muscle shirts, tank tops, strapless evening gowns, etc. It's sad to say that thinking about my arms take up about 2 hours of my day. I don't think that's healthy but I either need an arm lift or a very good hypnotist that can make me stop thinking about them.
cheesecakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Cheesecakelover,

I have another suggestion. From your starting weight, current and goal, it looks like your highest weight was 208 lbs? If that is true, there is a good chance that your upper arm skin will bounce back a bit. I'd also do some upper body workouts to help shape your arms to make them look better. I know it depends on a lot of things like genetics and how long you were at your highest weight but you may get lucky and have upper arms which bounce back into an acceptable range.

My upper arms aren't the best but I do wear sleeveless tops I really don't care for certain stores (Lane Bryant, you hear me!!) that think that girls want to show off their bellys, arms and back if they are overweight.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOKIE88 View Post

I don't think I will ever be brave enough to have the surgery, but I would love to have it. The thought of not being able to use my arms for awhile after the surgery is very scary to me.
Hey Cheesecakelover,
I won't go over what I said before to you but I just wanted to allay pookie's fears. You CAN use your arms by about 2 days after surgery. AND the scar is noticable, but it fades over the course of a year or two and the fairer-skinned you are the better as far as scar goes.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #4  

You'll want to wear long sleeves to cover the scars. Not worth it in my opinion. My friend had it done and the scars are as bad as the lose skin.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #5  
Co-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
You'll want to wear long sleeves to cover the scars. Not worth it in my opinion. My friend had it done and the scars are as bad as the lose skin.
I strongly disagree. Because even in long sleeves my arms looked like hams and jiggled.
AND the scars aren't that bad, and they fade over time, just like stretch marks do, and in the end that is the kind of scar that it makes.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:29 PM   #6  
banned

Sometimes if you use cocoa butter on scars, they can help promote fading. I've done it a few times on my bunion surgery scars and you can't see them at all now.
LAnneCarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:33 PM   #7  
Co-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnneCarrington View Post
Sometimes if you use cocoa butter on scars, they can help promote fading. I've done it a few times on my bunion surgery scars and you can't see them at all now.
Oh, good idea! Also, one can use neosporin scar solution "bandaids." They are expensive but they can reduce the appearance of scars (any scars).
Old 04-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 208/142/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Thanks for your comments, everyone. It's nice to know I'm not the only one that dreads the summer fashions.
cheesecakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:32 PM   #9  

Hi all. I've never had any cosmetic type surgery at all, but if I could afford to and could only choose one, I think it would be on my arms. CheesecakeLover, I'm just like you. I think about it all the time. My arms drive me crazy. They are disgusting to me. I am right at 5 ft 8 inches tall and my weight fluctuates between 198 and 208. 256 was my highest ever. I promise you my arms look wayyyy worse now than they did back then. At least then I just had a bigger normal looking arm. Now I have an arm with a huge loose flap hanging underneath. Even if I reach my goal weight someday (155-160), I will never feel comfortable in a swimsuit or tanktop. That's a discouraging thought. I can literally pick it up from behind and hold it back, and then you can see what is actually my arm. The rest is just hanging skin. I am very self conscious about it and like everyone else said, Even the short sleeved blouses dont cover it and it's hard to find cute things when you have to have 3/4 or long sleeves all the time. I think I'd choose a scar over a flap that I could almost fly with any day!
MikiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #10  
jadedjane

After losing 170 pounds...there some saggin, baggin, and draggin happening on my body too. I can cover the belly and the butt well enough with really good jeans, but the arms are just "out there" for the whole world to see.

I go shopping with friends that say "you should just be happy - love yourself and wear the sleeveless shirts". I whole heartedly agree to loving myself - but when I pull up my sleeve and show them what my arm really looks like and ask how comfy THEY would be if they had my arms...and they shut up fast - lol. (it's the same story with my breasts, but that's a whole other thread)

I have decided to have the surgery. I'll have to save every spare penny to do it, but it will happen. The more I thought about it the more I realized that a faded scar is nothing compared to what I am hiding right now, and even in long sleeves people can see that the arms are a little "off" and wiggly.

It all boils down to personal choice. What's more comfortable for you? Scars do fade over time (for most people) and are much easier to explain should you ever encounter someone impolite enough to even mention it. I have someone ask me about my excess skin almost every day... so for myself....I'll take the scar please
jadedjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:22 AM   #11  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Just my 2 cents I'm no fan of my arms they have the old lady look to them at the moment However there's no way I'll have the cash to do the surgery With saving for a house gettng out of debt yaddayadda that being said I have 2 dresses that are sleeveless and one with "cap" sleeves I'm going to wear them
shorts/bathing suits are a totally different story!
Sometimes I wish Insurance would Cover certain things as a psychological need
I'd love to eventually get a leg lift b/c mine are scary! and they used to be buff (under the flab)
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #12  
Just Me

I'm not near goal but I do have to say my loose skin doesn't really bother me too much. The only thing that really bothers me is the wrinkled skin near where my inner arm meets my armpit and my inner thigh meets my crotch. Sometimes it doesn't look bad but other times it looks very wrinkled. I actually had a talk with DH last night and asked him how he felt about plastic surgery if I get closer to my goal and I have lots of loose skin. He said he is fine with that as long as it is getting rid of loose skin rather than trying to change something that is uniquely me
Old 04-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #13  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Hey, if you can fix what bugs you re:loose skin, go for it. There is a compromise, though. Do you want batwings under your arms? Or scars? A personal choice, but whatever you choose, you will unfortunately never have the tone of a 20-year old!!!! Best of luck...
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #14  
Just Me

Heh... tone of a 20 year old. I wish I had tone at any time in my life I think it'd be nice to have a flat tummy which I probably haven't had since I was 3, maybe 4 Arms, we'll see
Old 04-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #15  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freiamaya View Post
Hey, if you can fix what bugs you re:loose skin, go for it. There is a compromise, though. Do you want batwings under your arms? Or scars? A personal choice, but whatever you choose, you will unfortunately never have the tone of a 20-year old!!!! Best of luck...
I don't have a big problem with batwings, but I'd go for the scars any day if I could have the tummy tuck along with it. I mean, when you've had two C-sections, what's one more scar matter? It would eventually fade but the skin is just there.....
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote