Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 07-09-2011, 02:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: Size 22/Size 14/Size 10

Height: 5'8

Default Body Image :/

Well, when I weighed myself naked, I weighed 185 pounds. I know people who were, like, 175-180, and they don't look near fat as I do. They have rather flat stomachs. My stomach still looks so disgusting. I currently am in 14/16, and my sister wears a 12. But she's, like, skinny! I don't get it >:/

So I've lost 65 pounds. But I still look so big. My stomach and arms are taking FOREVER. I have so much flab. I can't wait to go back to the rec center when school starts up. You know the fat that kinda hangs at the sides? Those won't go away. And like I said, my arms are just disgusting. The top part just hangs, and looks so bad. I see the same me that was 250. I'm so sick of having a low self opinion.
How long did it take everyone to lose their stomach/sides/arms?
ZebraBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:22 AM   #2  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

My "gross" areas... seem to be the ones that linger when I lose weight. I just try to look at my reflection and tell myself that ONE DAY it will go away. That if I keep at it... it HAS to leave me, and look like one of those skinny gals.

My bone structure will keep me from ever looking like a model or some really sexy gal that can sit at the bar wearing that red dress and draw all eyes to her... but at least I can look healthy one day.

65lbs is something to be proud of. Keep plugging away, you'll get there.
I think a good idea is buy some clothes that you like the way they look on you. (I wear sexy underwear... I don't know why... but it boosts my confidence). Sometimes, I dress up pretty for no reason and just go out. It makes me feel good...

Body image is a tricky thing really. I look at pictures of myself in high school and realize I wasn't even close to fat, but I thought I was. I have to keep telling myself it's not as bad as I think. We see flaws others don't half the time.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:11 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurisitaru View Post
My "gross" areas... seem to be the ones that linger when I lose weight. I just try to look at my reflection and tell myself that ONE DAY it will go away. That if I keep at it... it HAS to leave me, and look like one of those skinny gals.

My bone structure will keep me from ever looking like a model or some really sexy gal that can sit at the bar wearing that red dress and draw all eyes to her... but at least I can look healthy one day.

65lbs is something to be proud of. Keep plugging away, you'll get there.
I think a good idea is buy some clothes that you like the way they look on you. (I wear sexy underwear... I don't know why... but it boosts my confidence). Sometimes, I dress up pretty for no reason and just go out. It makes me feel good...

Body image is a tricky thing really. I look at pictures of myself in high school and realize I wasn't even close to fat, but I thought I was. I have to keep telling myself it's not as bad as I think. We see flaws others don't half the time.
My bone structure will prevent me from doing the same Are you also an endomorph, if you don't mind me asking? I wish I could buy more clothes, but I don't have the money I am trying to find a job, but I feel people aren't hiring me because of my looks. See, my low self opinion makes me even doubt normal things in life for me.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #4  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

You have the triple whammy of 1) recent weight loss and mind likely not catching up to changed reality 2) self-critical thoughts about body parts 3) comparison with others instead of comparison with self.

65lbs is a HUGE accomplishment!!!!! Serious levels of amazing and awesome. Im sure that must add up to many, many, many inches lost alllll over. I hope you congratulate yourself every day for each of those lbs and inches lost.

re: 1) It can just be challening for our minds to catch up to our body's changes. Keep some bigger clothes and put em back on? take measurements and add up all the inches. Look at photos from before. Do anything to help yourself see YOU as you are now.

re: 2) I have parts I dislike too, and even at 121lbs and 17% body fat I STILL thought they were kinda jiggly in certain positions/views. Soooooo...I just try to be nicer to myself in my head. When I catch myself staring at my least fav area or being super negative in my head about it, I just try to pivot...and thing, WELL it is better than it was...or WELL I do like my shoulders a lot.

re: 3) Comparison is a dangerous thing. If you have to compare, comparing to YOU is the best. And if you have to compare yourself to others, try to use a bigger sample size than your 2 friends and your sister Have you tried this site? Here are what a few other girls your height and weight look like http://www.mybodygallery.com/search....to=Large&new=1
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

ZebraBri- a few things...
I feel your pain with the tummy thing. I am apple shaped and I have no rear-end whatsoever so I abdomen will be the last to go. I figure that it will take me losing a little bit more weight than other girls because of my waistline. But, I have slender legs and I like wearing shorts so I cannot complain too much.
The other thing is that I was 177 lbs last year and I can tell you that the different between 185 and 177 was huge as it concerns my waist. I almost felt like a "normal girl" at 177lbs. I think these next 10 or 15 lbs will make a big difference for you. When you cross that like from "overweight" to normal weight (BMI) it is the most noticeable and you are on the cusp of this!
Thirdly, you have lost 65 lbs!!! That is such a great accomplishment. You have come so far and you are just so close to goal.
Sunshine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 287/175/180

Height: 5'9"

I think it's less about how your body looks and more about how you feel about your body. Comparing yourself to others is a surefire way to bring yourself down. There will always be someone thinner or fitter or prettier if you look for it.
After losing a lot of weight, most of us will not have a perfect body. It's a matter of working on changing how you talk to yourself and accepting what you cannot change.

But you can still change what you can. Strength training will be the best thing you can do to make yourself look fitter and tighter. I'm your height and there's an incredible difference, for me, between the 160s and the 180s. I still have things I'm working on, but it's so much more helpful to focus on the positive than pick ourselves apart.
k8yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine87 View Post
ZebraBri- a few things...
I feel your pain with the tummy thing. I am apple shaped and I have no rear-end whatsoever so I abdomen will be the last to go. I figure that it will take me losing a little bit more weight than other girls because of my waistline. But, I have slender legs and I like wearing shorts so I cannot complain too much.
The other thing is that I was 177 lbs last year and I can tell you that the different between 185 and 177 was huge as it concerns my waist. I almost felt like a "normal girl" at 177lbs. I think these next 10 or 15 lbs will make a big difference for you. When you cross that like from "overweight" to normal weight (BMI) it is the most noticeable and you are on the cusp of this!
Thirdly, you have lost 65 lbs!!! That is such a great accomplishment. You have come so far and you are just so close to goal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xty View Post
You have the triple whammy of 1) recent weight loss and mind likely not catching up to changed reality 2) self-critical thoughts about body parts 3) comparison with others instead of comparison with self.

65lbs is a HUGE accomplishment!!!!! Serious levels of amazing and awesome. Im sure that must add up to many, many, many inches lost alllll over. I hope you congratulate yourself every day for each of those lbs and inches lost.

re: 1) It can just be challening for our minds to catch up to our body's changes. Keep some bigger clothes and put em back on? take measurements and add up all the inches. Look at photos from before. Do anything to help yourself see YOU as you are now.

re: 2) I have parts I dislike too, and even at 121lbs and 17% body fat I STILL thought they were kinda jiggly in certain positions/views. Soooooo...I just try to be nicer to myself in my head. When I catch myself staring at my least fav area or being super negative in my head about it, I just try to pivot...and thing, WELL it is better than it was...or WELL I do like my shoulders a lot.

re: 3) Comparison is a dangerous thing. If you have to compare, comparing to YOU is the best. And if you have to compare yourself to others, try to use a bigger sample size than your 2 friends and your sister Have you tried this site? Here are what a few other girls your height and weight look like [/url]
Thank you for sharing this site! Even though I wear the same sizes, they still look so much smaller though. Maybe it's how we're proportioned? :/
Old 07-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #8  

Sorry I suck at posting, I'm still trying to figure the multi post out haha. Sunshine, xty, and k8yk, thank for for the encouragements