Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Default Chub rub

Ok, guys-this is pretty embarrassing, but I have to ask. I am not done losing weight, obviously, but I would like to know if this embarrassing problem will ever go away. I have chubby thighs. Naturally, they rub. With or without pants, of course, but with pants on, I don't get horrible burn/chafing areas. However, my exercise pants last for 2-3 months tops before they start breaking on through to the other side, meaning I get holes in them in the thigh area. I just blew out yet another pair of jeans, and one thing that keeps me going is knowing it will lessen as I lose weight. But, will it ever go away completely? Ladies, what is your experience with this? Wearing skirts is also painful, which is a shame because I have surprisingly nice legs.How do you guys get around avoiding certain items of clothing if you do have it?
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I am so sorry, but I don't know the answer. I've heard Gold Bond powder can help with the chafing. Also, I usually wear spandax shorts under skirts. Have you ever tried that? Also, don't be embarrassed. This is a very common issue.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

For skirts, try Spanx or Monistat Chafing Gel.

I don't know what to tell you about pants. Are you wearing the same pair of pants every time you exercise? All that wearing and washing is going to break them down quickly.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

I am also hoping this problem goes away. I tend to wear bike shorts under skirts in the summer so I can still feel the breeze on my legs without that terrible rubbing. Other than that, I've no advice. I too just want the chub and flab to go away. I probably care about that more than I do my stomach flab.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #5  

Yeah, I hope it does too. Thanks for the answers, ladies. I do know that I am not alone. I have like three pairs of exercise pants. It was four, but another one bit the dust. I exercise ever day though, and do pretty strenuous thigh rubbing work every other day. I just got to where I can run a tiny bit over three miles. Actually, I'd never tried spanx. I need to get some. I bet that would help, and I'll try that monistat cream. I had been wearing some hose or tights while wearing skirts, but it's summer time and those are hot!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #6  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Yep - it goes away. That was my biggest "YAY" moment when I lost weight years ago ... now it's crept back on and I've got the rub again. Grr. But not having to have a travel size baby powder in my purse often was so nice. Hang in there! At least your pants are wearing out from WORKING OUT! YAY! Look at it like wearing out sneakers because you're pounding the pavement, not that they're going out of style.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

This used to be a problem for me, too. There is hope!

I think I was around 160 pounds before I started noticing a real difference in my thighs. A small difference, but not my imagination. It only got better from there and at this point, my upper thighs barely touch. I'm sure, with Southern heat and humidity coming this summer, I still might be uncomfortable occasionally, but nothing like I was before - I used to wear out jeans all the time!

FWIW, I'm not pear-shaped, I'm apple-shaped, so it's not like I've always carried all my weight in my thighs. That might affect your results. I also really encourage weight training. I think that made a big difference for me in getting more defined legs.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #8  

Awesome, ladies! That's true, nationalparker. That is a very positive way to look at it. It's not that big of a deal. It's not like I can't always go on over to good will and spring for a few bucks to buy some more sweat/yoga pants.

Jenmusic, I'm not pear shaped, more apple since I tend to carry my weight on my tummy, though since I am a fair bit overweight I have a lot of extra on my thighs. However, I do weight training every other day. I do kettlebell presses and swings
Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I do the bike shorts under skirts, and antiperspirant deodorant on your thighs helps too.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #10  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

There's a product that runners use, I think it's called Glide. I've heard that it works well. You can probably find it in sporting goods stores.

Good luck!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 169/124/124

Ugh, I have lost a little over 40 lbs so far and am wearing a 2/4 and I still have the thigh rub! I want to wear my skirts pain-free so I bought some of this stuff called Body Glide. I bought it at Big 5. It was $8. I haven't tried it yet but there are great reviews on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 416klksbuAL._AA300_.jpg (17.0 KB, 5 views)
Prism21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:28 AM   #12  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

The body glide works really well. I also put some right under my sports bras as I get chafing there when running. This stuff is great. It works on your feet as well if you tend to get blisters. I don't know exactly why it works better than other things, but it DOES. Good luck.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:56 AM   #13  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

I had this issue at my peak weight too. When I had to wear skirts or dresses, I put Vaseline or thick cocoa butter on my inner thighs.

For me, I noticed it being less of a problem after I started exercising more and toning up. I'm pear shaped so my legs are still pretty thick but I haven't had that issue once I was approximately 20-25 lbs down.
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

That Monistat Chafing Gel was a lifesaver during my very pregnant summer. For exercise pants, you can just go for lycra/tighter pants. I've heard awesome things about this, even though they look really weird...
Luvees Thigh Coverall
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 273/ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLess View Post
I do the bike shorts under skirts, and antiperspirant deodorant on your thighs helps too.

i use the deodorant trick as well-my husband says im crazy but it works!
bitetoobreakkskin is offline   Reply With Quote