Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 04-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #1  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Question To go sleeveless, or not to go sleeveless. That is the question!

Hello ladies!

I couldn't really think of a good place to ask this question, but I figured this was at least a somewhat appropriate place. Basically, I'm wondering what everyone's opinions are on wearing sleeveless shirts without a matching cardigan or jacket on top. The past month or so I've been strongly considering allowing myself this luxury this summer, since in certain tops (usually with wider straps) I think my arms don't look too bad (even though there is obviously a some flab left as I have over 30 lbs to go until goal). I know there's a stereotype of overweight people looking "dumpy" if they wear sleeveless shirts, but I think that if it's a nice top and you accessorize accordingly that couldn't possibly be true.

Part of me says most people couldn't care less about what my arms look like, but then the other part of me will always think of the negative things my dad used to say about women wearing sleeveless tops. Usually it amounted to if they were the slightest bit chubby or didn't have perfectly toned arms that they should cover it up. I think I have this fear that although I think my arms don't look that bad, it's only because they look MUCH better than they used to (and so most people wouldn't dare go sleeveless in my position). *sigh*

So I guess my question is... what's your opinion on bare arms? Do you go sleeveless? Are you apprehensive about it? Do you pay attention to other people's arms when they wear sleeveless tops and think negative things if they're flabby? Honesty is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
-Lindsey
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #2  
I aim to misbehave

S/C/G: 225/tick/175

Height: 5'8"

I love going sleeveless! Honestly, I rarely think about other people's bare arms when they are wearing a sleeveless top; therefore, I have never felt self conscious when wearing a tank top. I've worked hard on my arms--lots of weights and hours on the rowing machine--I'm proud of what I've accomplished--so, who cares what other people think?

Go for it! I've been so impressed with your weight loss--show it off!
Riverite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #3  

I think my upper arms are the least attractive part of my body, and I struggle with this regularly. In theory, I want to say that yes, I should not feel shame about any part of my body. I have gone sleeveless, but I tend to avoid it. It really depends on the situation -- the company I will be keeping, where I will be going, how hot it is outside, basically how comfortable I will feel. Sometimes I will go sleeveless, and then never feel really comfortable with what I'm wearing, anyway.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 226/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I definitely wear sleeveless shirts. When I see other people in them I don't even really notice their arms. It gets too hot here to not wear them. Plus, I don't want a tan half way down my arm!
Crazy4Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:40 AM   #5  
Meg

I say go sleeveless! I'm sure your arms look great. I'd do it more often except that I'm always cold since I lost weight. Sigh.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:53 AM   #6  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I don't wear sleeveless shirts, but I will once my arm cellulite goes away and I have a bit more toning like I did before. I think it's really noticeable (for me anyway). I won't even wear one to the gym yet. I don't 'check out' other people's arms but I am very aware of mine. I feel kind of naked, like my butt is hanging out or something lol. And they are too white from winter
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm certain you're your own worst critic and your arms are just as beautiful as the rest of you. I say if you want to wear sleeveless - wear sleeveless.

I'm with Meg though. Last summer I bought this beautiful sleeveless shirt, finally wore it to go out to dinner with friends - and immediately had to cover it up with the sweater that I brought along. Sleeveless? Me? What WAS I thinking?

Which is kind of what happened to me yesterday. It was the first warm day (over 90 in fact) that we have had since last summer. I put on a nice short-sleeved shirt and was fine. Went out shopping in the afternoon and the second I hit a store - realized that it was time to start bringing those sweaters with me where ever I go again. Because I am uncomfortably cold the second I am out of the blazing sun.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

If you like them and like how they look, go for it! I've got some loose skin under my arms, but strength training has helped a LOT so I want to show off my arms. I even wore sleeveless tops when I was bigger just because I wanted to. I live in Texas, and it'll be 106+ at some points this summer. Sleeveless is a MUST sometimes for me....
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:27 AM   #9  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

I am horrified by my upper arms, to the point where my best friend and I got into a huge fight about me being her maid of honor because she wanted me to go sleeveless and I refused to budge. I also tend to notice how other women look without sleeves: if their arms look good, I envy them their arms, if they look flabby and awful like mine, I envy them their oblivious confidence. My worst fear about this diet is that my arms will end up with long, flappy wings from the deflated arm bulge, but I think they have surgeries for that.
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I say go sleeveless
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #11  
BabyFatBeGone

S/C/G: 163/145/130

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I am very conscious of my upper arms as well. They have shrunk quite a bit with my weight loss but I still do not think they are toned enough.

One thing I found are some tops which have a very small sleve -- practically sleveless but somehow just having that small sleve makes the arms look better. Not sure if I am being clear but that has helped me!
BabyFatGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #12  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

It gets extremely hot here in the summers--I have never gone a summer without wearing sleeveless..even when preggo and at my highest weight of 230 something.

To me, having sweat dripping down my temples and looking miserable in too many clothes is way worse looking than arms could ever be!

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 04-27-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #13  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I hate my upper arms, always have. The only time I ever went sleeveless, after I turned 12, was senior prom, simply because there weren't any dresses available that weren't sleeveless.

I have been working out very, very hard and the upper part of my upper arms looks great. The bottom part, not so much. I am still not ready for sleeveless but considering how much my arms have improved, I think I will be there within a year.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/220/175

Height: 5'-8"

Go SLeeveless!! I have the flappy, hope on my back I could fly us to Canada Arms and I do sleeveless when it is super hot. I think arms are more of an issues for most ladies than not. I have a co worker who weighs about 140 and due to her age and weight fluctuation her arms look worse than mine. Now I would never wear sleeveless to work as that is a matter of appropriateness in our workplace but anywhere else for me I go for it..
sweetandspicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #15  
BELIEVE!

If you are comfortable...GO FOR IT!

I am not there yet....but one of these days I WILL go sleeveless.
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote