3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body-image-issues-after-weight-loss-219/)
-   -   If i lose weight, will my stretch marks go away? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body-image-issues-after-weight-loss/228800-if-i-loose-weight-will-my-stretch-marks-go-away.html)

rockersunshine 03-24-2011 01:35 PM

If i lose weight, will my stretch marks go away?

i was wondering if they go away or where there not noticeable? where i can like wear shorts? i have them on the back of my thighs and on the side,waist,ect.

lucky8 03-24-2011 01:46 PM

Yes most definatly.
This time last year i as horrible bright red ones on my stomach they really upset me , i found a product called rescue oil its really cheap and i rubbed it on morning and night and after 3 week they were visibly lighter, and i havent lost that much weight but even with 7lbs loss i noticed a differance.
They are now very faint and although they will never fully dissapear they are barely visable and i get spray tans so that blends them in. But trust me they do get better with time i was in yor exact same boat not long ago:hug:

stacygee 03-24-2011 03:14 PM

My answer was going to be NO they don't go away... but I guess I'll go look for some rescue oil? Where do I find it?

nitenurse 03-24-2011 03:24 PM

i got stretch marks when i was pregnant it been 20 years and they are still there, the stretch marks have faded some over the years but they are still visible

hoorah21 03-24-2011 03:47 PM

Hi everyone. So stretch marks are tough and super annoying but you can in fact reduce their appearance with exercising and losing weight. If you reduce the amount of resistance against the skin, which is what causes stretch marks, then you can reduce their appearance. Exercising coupled with a stretch mark cream is the best way to go but don't expect them to disappear completely because we are just not that lucky. Good luck!

Jelma 03-25-2011 10:17 AM

I have 4 really big ones on my stomach that were really bad when I first started losing weight. I mean it looked like a tiger attacked me. Since I've lost weight and started exercising they look so much better, I think if I get tan this summer they may be pretty unnoticeable. I also use coco butter though not consistently.

saef 03-25-2011 10:27 AM

I'm thinking we need a sticky thread on stretch marks, to go along with the one we already have on loose skin.

I still have mine, two years after losing over 100 pounds, but I'm not in my 20s anymore, and I think that, as with loose skin, there are age & genetic factors involved, and maybe even how long one has been overweight.

Another product I've heard mentioned is Bio Oil, and yes, pure cocoa butter, but I have no idea if either help or whether users are simply witnessing the natural fading of stretch marks over time.

Thighs Be Gone 03-25-2011 10:29 AM

I found that my stretch marks were like the rest of me. When I got smaller, they did too! :)

Horo 03-30-2011 10:05 PM

Frankly, stretch marks will never go 100% away unless you have the stretch-marked skin cut off by means of plastic surgery.

However, their appearance can improve quite a lot in time, especially if you help it along by drinking lots of water or green tea to keep your skin hydrated, occasional gentle exfoliation, moisturizing the marked areas with quality moisturizers(pure cocoa butter, coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, etc.) at least daily and massaging the areas while doing so, and eating a diet rich in vitamins and minerals and healthy fats.

While they will never completely disappear, you can really improve the size, texture, depth, and color.

Good luck!

InControl2Day 04-01-2011 09:31 AM

I used to have bright read stretch marks on my stomach when I went through rapid weight gain within 1 year. My tummy is deflated now but there's still light signs of them but it's not too horrible. They do lighten up though :) and are easily covered by clothes.

MissAngelle 04-01-2011 10:20 AM

I've used various products, the bio oil, lotions, etc. My product of choice is Strivectin-SD. It's supposed to help reduce scars and stretch marks, but most women use them for facial wrinkles(which apparently works!) I have a huge scar on my stomach from surgury that has always been thick and red, but since I've used the lotion, I notice the red fading in both the stretch marks and scar. It's expensive, but I look for trial versions and sales. It won't completely eliminate them, but if they fade, I'll be thrilled!!!

fatferretfanatic 04-02-2011 12:22 AM

I've had to come to terms with the fact that my stretch marks will never completely dissapear. I look at them as kind of a roadmap of my life. I've lived, and I am human, and stretch marks in the scheme of things are not such a big deal. I'm reducing their appearance, and that's good enough for me.

imperialistic 04-11-2011 12:12 AM

I agree with the sticky idea.
For me, they got worse as I lost weight. Actually, I don't really mind them at all- I almost like them. They look kinda cool. I think of them as my battle scars.
Now cellulite is a different story (:

IsabellaOlivia 05-30-2011 12:07 PM

No. Stretch mark does not go away as the weight disappears.

RNmomof5 05-30-2011 05:59 PM

After loosing 60 lbs, my stretch marks are sill clearly visible. They dont go away.

kaplods 05-30-2011 06:32 PM

I just read recently that stretch marks aren't actually from stretching, they're from damage done by inflammation (from various causes).

That bit of trivia isn't really helpful, but kind of interesting.

Most of my stretchmarks occurred during puberty and adolescence, and they've faded about as much as they're going to. I started looking at them differently though after a stand-up comedian compared his gf's stretch marks to tiger stripes, and how beautiful and sexy he found them.

Hey, I'm willing to run with that.

kimicat76 06-07-2011 02:28 PM

mine have become less noticeable but you can still the the rigidness (i guess what you would call it) or un smoothness of the skin that was stretched.

Me1stAllways 06-15-2011 02:41 PM

Lost 100lbs years ago and have 100 left to go...i have more streatch marks on my skin than not lol. they can not go away, they are damaged skin cells resulting mass axpanshion faster than cell prduction. We can make them appear less obvious by loosing weight to reduce the tention, rubbing vit E oil on them and I tan (lol not the recmended route but they are the same color as the rest of my skin now instead of pimk n purple) but they dont actualy bother me much in the grand sckeem of dropping 100lbs and id gladly accept more in exchange for dropping the remainder 100lbs :))

MariaMaria 06-15-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me1stAllways (Post 3892863)
We can make them appear less obvious by... I tan (lol not the recmended route but they are the same color as the rest of my skin now instead of pimk n purple)

This is because the scars have faded, not because you're tanned.

I've never tanned topless, and the stretch marks on my breasts (from puberty as well as from later weight gain) are the same lack-of-color as the rest of my skin.

Munchy 06-15-2011 03:50 PM

I have some silver stretch marks on my stomach and breasts from pregnancy. They didn't go away, in fact, look a bit more noticeable as I lost weight/deflated.

k8yk 06-15-2011 05:52 PM

I just got 2 new stretch marks, one on each oblique (side abdominal muscles) DOH! Oh well. They can make friends with all the other ones.

CeciliaM 06-16-2011 02:43 AM

Nope! Nothing can get rid of them except surgery.
Creams do nothing to be honest. All you're doing is moisturising, which you should do anyway. The scars fade significantly over time.
You can disguise them with special body make-up, or even self-tanner. But what I will say is just dress appropriately. If you want to wear shorts, you can wear 3/4 tights underneath or patterned hosery, which means its still cool, but breaks up the skin ( and sucks it in ) so you can't see imperfections. :)

ugogurl 10-23-2012 05:38 PM

Have anyone of you tried doing hula hoop? I did at least 15min a day with a 3lb ring. When I started I have a lot of stretch marks, however only 4 of them are clearly visible. And now, even though I've never used any oil on my belly the marks are almost disappear. Of course I have a long way to go, but as for now I'm quite satisfy with the result. Maybe it just me though but you should give it a try. As for the leg, I have no idea.

Stars 10-23-2012 07:21 PM

I got tons of them from being pregnant. Then I got depressed and ate, then I got more stretch marks!! I have done a ton of research. Alma iTed laser (do a search) improves them up to 75%. ReCell, (being studied by the FDA but has been used in other countries for 4 years now) is what I am after. That is considered scarless healing. Do a search for ReCell, the pictures are amazing. It's being used on burn victims. Literally creates new skin as if there was never an injury. I did a search for Recell stretch marks and on the site it shows that it can be used on stretch marks. . ReCell uses the patient's own cells.

Anyway, I might have to get a tummy tuck, I DON'T want to, but I am hoping ReCell is approved in the US soon so I can get a surgeon to use this product so I don't get a hip to hip scar.

There is also something else (nothing to do with recell) that tightens skin after significant weight loss and / or pregnancy, I can look it up if anyone is interested.

StephanieM 11-25-2012 01:06 PM

Back in 2010 when I lost weight, they started to go from purple to white. I used bio oil at the same time so I'm not sure if it was just the weight loss, the bio oil, or both.

My old ones have expanded into new ones during pregnancy, but the old ones have stayed white. The new ones are starting to fade with weight loss and bio oil again.

thewalrus0 11-25-2012 03:01 PM

Mine turn white when my weight is stable, and turn red when I lose or gain large amounts of weight. They were white after I had been consistently at 230 and then, after my 30lb gain, they have gone red again.

I believe once your weight stabilizes they start to become less red/purple and more white, but I could be wrong. That's just what happens to me.

The ones on my breasts are white, probably because that area of my body is the last to change during weight loss/gain.

Stretch marks are funny things, but I find I don't care what they do anymore. When I lose the weight they'll just be a reminder of the great thing I did, and if I want to wear shorts I'll work something out. I personally don't care for shorts anyways, so maybe I am biased, though I do have stretch marks on my arms that are white and they are fairly obvious in the sun, and I like to wear shorter sleeves. I'm more concerned about getting rid of the flabby fat the hangs out there though.

Stretch marks are like pimples to me. There's not much you can do about them except hope they become less visible with time. :) Maybe not the answer you wanted, but most women have stretch marks, especially on the stomach, and I think people should give them less attention.

Tigerlilly6 12-11-2012 03:08 AM

I'd say most women have them or will have them by the time they have kids. I know it isn't exactly how we'd like to be, but think about how many great things we have in life and how little a thing like stretch marks really matters. I know how you feel though, it is hard when there is so much pressure to look a certain way that obviously isn't natural. Stretch marks are natural & you are beautiful anyway.

I also liked the suggestion about getting creative with clothing if you feel too self conscious showing too much skin.

AndreaMedina 01-09-2013 10:09 PM

I AM Currently 13. I have Stretch Marks. I weight about 170. I have lost 20 pounds. But i had my stretch marks before i lost any pounds!

the shiv 02-10-2013 08:51 AM

I always had them on my thighs and bum... They're white now (along with the rest of my skin that never sees the light of day, lol).

Once I went over 200lbs new, bright red ones showed up on the inside of my calves. I'm not happy about this at all, I thought I dodged that bullet! I just try to remember that barring any big illness happening *touch wood* this is the last big change I am putting my body through, losing 100lbs. So I guess all I can do is eat healthy as best I can, be happy, do exercise I love, live a good life and moisturise like a demon. I don't know if it really helps the stretch marks, but it's good for my skin anyway. Hopefully the new ones will fade with time and I can avoid getting too many more. Wish I had some advice, but I only have my perspective :)

Alli1415 03-31-2013 03:43 PM

Coco butter!

Well I am 14 and when I was around 9 or 10 I had a growth spurt and my thighs got bigger and my breast did too. I have stretch marks on my thighs and breasts. I weigh 107 and I'm trying to lose some weight, so I can have a flat stomach. I use coco butter the one with a pregnant women on the front and its specifically for stretch marks. It smells really good too. Just with in a few days they were way lighter! And I hope with me losing weight they will get smaller too. I don't really know about what to do with my breasts though.

Lily Wu 10-24-2013 12:45 PM

Maybe skin RF lazer treatment can heal a bit of stretch marks?

SleepyOwl 03-15-2016 08:45 PM

I've had stretch marks since I could remember, at least around 9 years old, I'm now 20 and I've lost about 70 pounds and the ones on my stomach are still pretty visible, but the ones on my arms have faded to a less noticeable colour. But, I think that's because they're old, as they're still clearly there.

FatCowSlim 05-22-2017 04:00 PM

I've had stretch marks since puberty, but this time I expect things to get worse since I've got over 100lbs to lose. The ones around the hips and upper thighs are already bad, but since I'm a middle aged woman not planning on wearing a bikini, I see them as part of my uniform.

I'm using a coffee body cream on them which smells nice and moisturises the skin nicely.

TeamsterGirl 05-24-2017 08:20 PM

Stretch marks are skin tears from being to heavy so no it wont go away.

iopsydoc101 08-21-2020 12:34 PM

Stretch marks can form after weightloss so a little chubby fat is okay. Do have nice healthy workout regime. It can be as such that you are active just as trainers are with pets! I mean just do not think about strecth marks all day and read about some best dog trainers as I feel they are the happiest people with little worry. Have a dog and go out for walk, be healthy and not worry for stretch marks : https://bit.ly/best-dog-trainers - it gives such an active lifestyle feeling. Pets do take away worry

dreni1234 10-26-2020 06:09 AM

mine didnt go away at all i tried with a different masks but unfortunately they didnt work

dreni1234 10-26-2020 06:10 AM

i have a lot of strech marks on my back and my shoulders they look like i did fight a bear or something lol

Krozbro 10-26-2020 10:58 AM

I know that stretch marks disappear only with laser or LED intervention or with different massages, not with losing weight. I have stretch marks too and I want to tatoo them :))

Aggo 01-17-2021 03:08 PM

I still have them even after losing a few pounds though its been a year since I delivered.