3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body-image-issues-after-weight-loss-219/)
-   -   Replacing food addiction with clothing addiction.... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body-image-issues-after-weight-loss/226486-replacing-food-addiction-clothing-addiction.html)

sisypheanme 02-24-2011 11:29 AM

Replacing food addiction with clothing addiction....

Is anyone else struggling with this issue also? I have channeled all of my food addiction into shopping for the past few months. I have so many clothes now and need to STOP! It is just such a great feeling to try on cute, stylish stuff and Not look like a sausage in it. I try and be good about shopping thrifty but still. From one addiction to the next....
Sissy

prepping 02-24-2011 11:33 AM

Sounds like fun! That's one of my goals -- to bulk up a magnificent wardrobe. So I guess I'm not one to talk when it comes to saying that it'd be a good idea to tone down the shopping.

Enjoy! :D

dcapulet 02-24-2011 11:36 AM

sissy - I'm not in your position (although I kind of wish I was) but you brought up a great point - trading addiction for addiction. I figured I am slowly changing my food addiction to an exercise addiction- and to be honest, I don't know how I feel about that. I want to think it would be better for me in the long run, but shouldn't I be trying to break addiction all together, and not switching?

starfishkitty 02-24-2011 11:53 AM

No... I definitely feel ya on that. I think I've throw and/or given away half of my old closet.... and its fuller than ever!!! :dizzy: Good for me... but bad for my wallet!!!

bargoo 02-24-2011 11:56 AM

I didn't struggle with it , I gave into it and went on a major shopping spree. Now my problem is I don't have enough closet space .

Bunti 02-24-2011 12:01 PM

This is my favorite definition of addiction/ addictive behavior if we are not talking about a truly physical habit forming drug type of addiction.

"Addictive behavior is any activity, substance, object, or behavior that has become the major focus of a person's life, where the compulsion for, accessing of or engaging in the behavior leads to the exclusion of many other other positive activities, or that has begun to harm the individual or others physically, mentally, or socially."

That was a definition I learned in an addiction study class many years ago.

Could it be that your new desire to shop is in fact a "passion". One of the definitions of passion is: boundless enthusiasm or the object of such enthusiasm. Not compulsive or harmful, but positive.

Two sides of the same coin, sort of.

cherbear 02-24-2011 12:21 PM

I did that for a while. It was great, (my bank account and my husband might disagree...) but I've really gotten over it.

I think that there will be a point that it'll just be enough. I love that I don't have to buy new summer clothes, and I'll be able to fit into the same clothes that I did last summer. I think if you just stay aware of what you're doing, and don't let it get too out of control, you'll get over it!

Congrats and you look great!

sisypheanme 02-24-2011 10:36 PM

Cherbear-- I hope my shopping stops fairly soon like yours did. I think I have enough jeans to last over a 2 week period...not to mention skirts and such. I am addicted to zipping, snapping, clasping, etc my new small sizes :)

Thank you for your replies everyone...I am not alone in this shopping frenzy!

sisypheanme 02-24-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bargoo (Post 3728234)
I didn't struggle with it , I gave into it and went on a major shopping spree. Now my problem is I don't have enough closet space .

LOL same thing with my closet now!

DisgruntledOne 02-24-2011 10:48 PM

Doubt this will work but.........you sound like parents who's kids have too many toys. They get a new toy they have to get rid of an old one. So if you go shopping think to ur self if I buy this what is something I will have to give to goodwill.

evilwomaniamshe 02-25-2011 08:48 AM

Yeah I'm a clothes whore, & fashionista! :D However each time I buy something new nowadays I ALWAYS get rid of something in exchange, that is my given rule to keep all of my closet doors from closing! :). New clothes for me = nice things to donate to goodwill shoppers! :). Nowadays I shop online when I feel the need and put many items in the cart, but I don't actually BUY them, unless I sleep on it and only if I absolutely gotta have it a week or so later, will I make the final purchase! Less impulsive this way...;) I can shop to my hearts content online & put things in my cart without actually purchasing now! :). I'm content doing this & perhaps a bit :dizzy: Maybe periodically just go to the store to try cute stuff on instead of always buying it. Just be aware, as you don't want to put yourself
into dept., cuz yanno too much of anything isn't that good either! Shop moderately girl!!!!!! :). Think of it like intuitive eating, one must incorporate intuitive shopping too! ;)
You look GREAT by the way & so youthful too! :) I also have that younger
look & I'm pushing 44! :). Rock the clothes you have fashionable fashionista &
be careful you don't want to warp too much plastic! :)

saef 02-25-2011 09:59 AM

Yes, and in fact when I met the mailman around Christmas time, he told me that I get more packages than anyone in my apartment complex & asked me if he'd get some relief after the holidays. Poor thing, he really didn't.

The only mitigating factor is that I keep buying from eBay or buying vintage, so each individual thing is relatively inexpensive. But that seems to have just prompted me to buy in greater volume.

I do a lot of browsing on eBay, saving in my Watch List, and then periodically deleting everything so I won't be tempted to bid. Also, eBay reminds me of the incredible depreciation rate of some clothing items that are expensive in the store but that lose a large amount of their value once someone brings them home. Kind of like furniture & cars. That keeps me out of the stores & the catalogs: "Oh, I know I can get that for at least $20 less ...."

I've got the same closet woes. I tried buying those magic hangers that let you hang clothes & drop them downward in layered tiers, only to find that my closet rod is too fat for them to hook ovet. So I guess it needs to diet down. Or I need a new closet organization system.

Or maybe, just maybe, I need to edit my collection. And stop buying.

I can say that in my case, some sanity has returned & my buying has really tapered off from the feverish pitch it reached back in December & through early January.

nuumite 02-27-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcapulet (Post 3728178)
sissy - I'm not in your position (although I kind of wish I was) but you brought up a great point - trading addiction for addiction. I figured I am slowly changing my food addiction to an exercise addiction- and to be honest, I don't know how I feel about that. I want to think it would be better for me in the long run, but shouldn't I be trying to break addiction all together, and not switching?

I feel like i've traded my food addiction/obsession( for junk/fatty food) for
"healthy food/calories counts". I'm always thinking about what i can eat..will eat tomorrow ( just on the healthy side). I still feel all consumed by food at times.